Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

22 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

As opposed to EOTR and it's horde of dull white boy indie bands?

Dunno. In the years I've gone to EOTR I've seen Sufjan Stevens, Mulatu Astatke, Joanna Newsom, Jonny Greenwood performing Steve Reich's Electric Counterpoint and music from Phantom Thread and There Will Be Blood, Laraaji, Bill Callahan, Low touring Double Negative, Moor Mother, Derya Yildrim, Vampire Weekend, Lonnie Holley, Shirley Collins, Chris Cohen, Klein, Zimpel/Ziolek and Bodyvice. I don't think I'm wrong in saying that these are acts that rarely play festivals the size of EOTR/GM, would come off as a bit of a coup or just don't normally play festivals at all in the case of Sufjan Stevens. 

Didn't mean to be condescending especially as GM puts together very nice line ups every year but for my taste, EOTR plucks a couple gems out of the more obscure side of things that often get missed by other events. Or they at times manage to pull off an act that no one thought was possible (Sufjan, VW, Joanna Newsom) 

Agreed though that this year's is weaker and a bit too indie heavy, but considering it's a festival of only 13k attendees it's still looking very strong. Magnetic Fields, Xenia Rubinos, Ahmed Fakroun and Moor Mother are all exciting and I'd guess fairly unique bookings. There's also a lot of people out there excited about the Bright Eyes show. 

11 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Didn't mean to be condescending especially as GM puts together very nice line ups every year but for my taste, EOTR plucks a couple gems out of the more obscure side of things that often get missed by other events. Or they at times manage to pull off an act that no one thought was possible (Sufjan, VW, Joanna Newsom).

I can totally see where you’re coming from and I think I agree on the whole.  I do think GM works perfectly for its target audience despite this though.

That said, GM do pull off the odd “surprise” booking. I would suggest the following as examples from the last few years: Lamb, PJ Harvey, Bridget St John, The Black Angels, Liars, Slint, Michael Rother, Grandaddy, Mew, Neutral Milk Hotel, Mercury Rev.  And obviously Joanna Newsom has played several times in the past.

Very excited to see what they can do this year! 

31 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

This is a guess but I think @retromoz and @bennyhana22might have been there. 

Argh! This was a tough clash choice!

Notwithstanding the legendary nature of Slint and their mythical Spiderland, I'm just not much of a nostalgist and they'd been not a band for a very long time. That Green Man was hugely memorable for me because (a) it was just incredible and (b) my pal and I chose the Walled Garden for ALL three of our festival headliner sets: Teleman > East India Youth (who was phenomenal and justified my not seeing Slint - I had a bit of a /moment'...) > Lanterns on the Lake. The sound in that garden for all three was superb, and we also got to see Adult Jazz who are amazing and who, finally after getting on for 8 years, seem to be close to their second album. What memories. From a rave perspective, Ben UFO, Luke Abbott and The Field gave me possibly my favourite Green Man night-night.

Ben

18 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Seen that one of the Green Man bookers liked Beach House’s recent tweet about their new album 😃 

EDIT: He also liked a similar tweet from Metronomy a few days previously 😬 

Been listening to a bit of Beach House recently and they're quite pleasant like. Don't sound like festival headliners though, are they decent live?

2 hours ago, zico martin said:

Been listening to a bit of Beach House recently and they're quite pleasant like. Don't sound like festival headliners though, are they decent live?

Very good live. They played at about 12am at Primavera Sound a few years ago and were excellent. Can make you a bit sleepy by the end though. 

As long as the volume is ramped up they're an excellent headliner. 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, zico martin said:

Just been reading that you can hire a trolley to get your stuff from the car park to the site, sounds too good to be true? What are the trolleys like? We always take a sack trolley but as there's 3 of us a couple more trolleys would be great to share the load!

I’ve seen them for hire yeah.  I haven’t used them as the walk from the car park to camping isn’t long at all.  I imagine they’re useful for families with lots of stuff.  There’s a small hill as you enter the camping area which I can imagine is a bit precarious with the trolleys! 

• Thanks 1

Is there anything to the Simz speculation beyond one IG Story last summer?

Still no indication of announcement dates so the probability they're holding out for something increased, especially with the Lowlands lineup that same weekend having just been announced (including Parquet Courts and BADBADNOTGOOD but we already knew they're in Europe then - Wet Leg are playing which is interesting as most people had them dead on for EOTR as they're regular visitors and basically formed the band while there, but they weren't announced and are in America the following weekend)

Edited by SweepingTheNation

22 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Is there anything to the Simz speculation beyond one IG Story last summer?

She is playing Way Out West and Flow Festival the weekend prior to Green Man. Often a bit of crossover between those festivals and GM. She is then playing a festival I hadn’t heard of before on the Friday of GM in Hamburg, which could lead nicely on to headlining GM on the Saturday or Sunday 🙏 

On 1/30/2022 at 10:09 AM, zico martin said:

Just been reading that you can hire a trolley to get your stuff from the car park to the site, sounds too good to be true? What are the trolleys like? We always take a sack trolley but as there's 3 of us a couple more trolleys would be great to share the load!

We normally get one and chuck all the heavy stuff on for one load and carry the rest.

You pay £50 deposit and they charge £5 for half an hour but they are decent and don't up the price if you are a few minutes over.

Our normal plan is to carry a few light bits and the gazebo down to the wristband exchange and then walk to campsite to find a spot. Once we have worked out where to camp it's back to the car, grab a trolley and load it up.

We can get our air tent and some other heavy stuff on for the one load. They also give you bungees to put over the top so it doesn't all fall out.

• Thanks 1