Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

I don't post much here these days but will share a forecast, as in previous years, on Sunday before heading to Settlement.

At the moment it's looking like there are going to be some heavy thundery showers around on Monday & Tuesday as the heatwave breaks. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday look good - 18 to 21 C, with a fair bit of cloud and a slim chance of lighter showers. Saturday and Sunday look a little warmer but a band of potentially heavy rain looks like it'll come through at some point - hopefully overnight if we're lucky!

Difficult to tell how the ground will respond to that rain - hopefully the rain earlier in the week will soften it so that it can absorb any weekend rain. At the moment, it'll be rock hard and most will just run off.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Sunshineandgrass said:

What are people's thoughts re wellies this year? Looks like plenty of showers predicted over the festival but since conditions have been so dry for long, are we really likely to need them?🤔

I'm taking waterproof walking boots and Goretex Trainers. I think that dry ground will struggle to get muddy but who knows.

1 hour ago, Losing my hair said:

https://www.instagram.com/p/ChHPO2mML_V/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

New secret location???

For those who don't do Instagram
"
thebristoldragcollective

Next week we go on the road to perform at @greenmanfest 🏕 In a new super secret location so make a wish and see if you can find us! We are going to be putting the camp in camping!"

I imagine this is the new secret cabaret bar Fiona mentioned in an interview and its location was speculated about on the previous page.

8 minutes ago, collectivisedfarming said:

From anyone's recent experience do most places take card or best to bring some cash?

Pretty much everywhere took cards last year but always good to have cash in case of any problems.

There's loads of cash machines on the top field behind where the big wheel is though if needed.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, JHad said:

I don't post much here these days but will share a forecast, as in previous years, on Sunday before heading to Settlement.

At the moment it's looking like there are going to be some heavy thundery showers around on Monday & Tuesday as the heatwave breaks. Wednesday, Thursday, Friday look good - 18 to 21 C, with a fair bit of cloud and a slim chance of lighter showers. Saturday and Sunday look a little warmer but a band of potentially heavy rain looks like it'll come through at some point - hopefully overnight if we're lucky!

Difficult to tell how the ground will respond to that rain - hopefully the rain earlier in the week will soften it so that it can absorb any weekend rain. At the moment, it'll be rock hard and most will just run off.

Nice one, thanks.

The sites I've looked at seem much more positive today than they did a couple of days ago which is encouraging. Still never know with Glanusk Park though, I've been there when rain has sat over the site even when the forecast for that hour seems pretty clear.

Fingers crossed we'll get away with minimal rain.

21 minutes ago, Frandango said:

For once I'm really hoping we get some rain, so that it's safe to burn the green man on Sunday night. It just wouldn't feel the same without that final night tradition! 

Pretty much all weather sites say there will be some on Monday and then showers the couple of days after. From then on who knows, but it looks certain some rain will be around before the main festival kicks off.

23 minutes ago, Frandango said:

For once I'm really hoping we get some rain, so that it's safe to burn the green man on Sunday night. It just wouldn't feel the same without that final night tradition! 

I went to Reading in the 90s when it was like this and it was just a dustbowl. Had to put bandanas over your mouth to avoid swallowing it every time it got kicked up. I'm very much hoping for some rain. 

1 hour ago, moonage505 said:

Does anyone know the best way to stay informed of when (and who!) the secret sets are (if there are any)? After squid last year I'm keen not to miss one.

I can't remember how I heard about squid last year but it was either on here or Twitter. I'm more inclined to think on here actually.

1 hour ago, moonage505 said:

Does anyone know the best way to stay informed of when (and who!) the secret sets are (if there are any)? After squid last year I'm keen not to miss one.

There aren't that many on the stages, mostly it's the record shop and they put them up on the board outside in the morning.

My son normally talks to all the bands and finds out through them!

Otherwise, it's on here unless anyone sets up a WhatsApp group like they do at EOTR.

2 hours ago, moonage505 said:

Just looked back at last year's thread and yes it was posted

745 Walled Garden Sunday special guest is apparently Squid. According to bloke in Lazarus Kane crowd who knows the drummer (who is here)

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/235206-green-man-2021/?do=findComment&comment=6215817

44 minutes ago, czuk said:

Just looked back at last year's thread and yes it was posted

745 Walled Garden Sunday special guest is apparently Squid. According to bloke in Lazarus Kane crowd who knows the drummer (who is here)

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/forums/topic/235206-green-man-2021/?do=findComment&comment=6215817

I bumped into the drummer at Los Bitchos and asked him so I guess that’s cheating

Looks like Tuesday is the day for rain, pretty much all the weather sites agree on that.

We'll be there tomorrow so can update on site conditions. Hoping we avoid any thunderstorms!

Will post set times up in the morning when I get a programme.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, benali said:

Looks like Tuesday is the day for rain, pretty much all the weather sites agree on that.

We'll be there tomorrow so can update on site conditions. Hoping we avoid any thunderstorms!

Feels fella,  anyone reckon we can expect a decent replacement for the long blondes?

4 hours ago, benali said:

The hero this thread deserves 🙏

• Like 1

8 hours ago, benali said:

The count down starts now and appreciative thanks in advance.

I know this might not be what the settlers want to hear, but a wet Tuesday might be worth the lighting of the Green Man....(runs for cover).

12 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

The count down starts now and appreciative thanks in advance.

I know this might not be what the settlers want to hear, but a wet Tuesday might be worth the lighting of the Green Man....(runs for cover).

I'm ok with some rain for the Settlers if it means the rest of the festival is pretty dry. Hopefully it won't shit it down too much and will make it easier for everyone else to get their tent pegs in!

We'll use the wet day to go and stock up on supplies for the week and sit in a pub.

Off to Settlement for the first time tomorrow morning, so I've done my usual weather forecast a bit earlier. This might need updating later in the week if there is the signal to do it. See some of you tomorrow! 

Summary

After weeks of hot and dry weather, dominated by high pressure, a regime of low pressure dominance is due to take over for the next week (perhaps with the return of heat afterwards). This means unsettled conditions for the festival, which are quite difficult to predict more than a few days away. Therefore, take this with a pinch of salt!

Ground on site is currently very hard and the river Usk is low, as almost all rivers in Western Europe are at this time. There were a couple of storms this afternoon in the Brecon Beacons but these missed the site.

In general, it looks as if the heat will break with storms through the first half of the week, perhaps with slightly fairer conditions for the main festival weekend. Maybe we’ll be lucky enough that this will dampen down any dust, make it easy to knock in tent pegs and allow the burn to take place but dry enough so it doesn’t get muddy?! Time will tell!

Monday (Settlement)

It looks like there might be a band of light to moderate rain passing though between 8 am and 11 am on Monday, so the early Settlers arriving when the gates open at 10 am might get a little damp.

It’s likely to remain cloudy for most of the day and will feel humid, although a pleasant 22 to 23 °C compared to the low 30s many of us have experienced over the last few days. Winds will be light or briefly squally later if a storm passes through.

Showers, potentially thundery in nature, look likely to build during the afternoon. There is a risk from around 3 pm onwards and rain could be heavy and localized. The area of instability is likely to move away north by 7 or 8 pm, hopefully in time for the first evening of music.

Further showers are possible overnight, although are likely to be less severe. Minimum overnight temperatures will be around 16 °C.

Tuesday (Settlement)

There’s a chance of a shower at any time on Tuesday and again these could be heavy and thundery. They’re slightly more likely as the day wears on but should weaken as the sun sets. Another humid day and we might see the sun this time, with temperatures up to around 20 °C. Winds should be light again.

Some lighter showers may linger into the evening but hopefully not enough to dampen the spirits at the Settlement and Acoustic Stages.

Minimum overnight temperatures will be similar to Monday at 16 °C but it will feel damper. Expect a coating of dew if the rain hasn’t done the job!

Wednesday (Settlement)

Wednesday is a bit of a knife edge situation. A heavy and persistent thundery band of rain is expected over southern England for much of the day, however the northern extent of this is subject to some uncertainty. If this remains south of the Bristol Channel, as currently expected, Wednesday should be a pleasant day, with top temperatures of 20 to 21 °C, a moderate breeze and the occasional light shower. If the rain band does drift slightly further north, if could mean many hours of very heavy rain. One to keep a close eye on.

By the evening, any rain should’ve cleared in time for the final night of Settlement music. Slightly clearer skies may allow temperatures to fall slightly lower to around 14 °C. Again, the air may feel damp and there’s a possibility of some light valley mist.

Thursday

By Thursday, the ground should’ve softened. Hopefully, it will be at the sweet spot where tent pegs will sink in easily, but the thoroughfares won’t get muddy.

Thursday should help to dry out any mud by the time Wesley Gonzalez opens Far Out and John Mouse steps up on Mountain, with some sunny spells and temperatures of 21 to 22 °C and a moderate breeze.

There is a risk of some rain in the evening but by this point of the week, it is difficult to predict with any confidence. 

Overnight minimum temperatures should be a warm 16 to 17 °C.

Friday

Friday looks set fair at this point but this and the entire weekend in subject to change. I will try to update this later in the week if signal allows from Settlement.

A similar day to Thursday with sunny spells, temperatures of 20 to 21 °C and a moderate breeze. There is a slight chance of the odd light shower.

With clearer skies expected, overnight temperatures might be a little lower at 14 °C.

Saturday & Sunday

Too far off at this point to be confident but the current picture is a dryish Saturday and a very wet Sunday. Hopefully this changes!

Edited by JHad
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, zico martin said:

Feels fella,  anyone reckon we can expect a decent replacement for the long blondes?

I've seen people suggesting traditional Green Man supersubs the Wedding Present and I note they've just started a tour that has a small gap, pretty much their only one for the next month, from next Sunday...

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, markussnoopy said:

I vaguely recall that set times last year were confirmed by Settlement folk taking a photograph of lanyard/booklet after arriving on site ?

If so, would be great to something similar this year. Thanks in advance all.

@benali has just said they would do this a couple posts above 

• Thanks 1