Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

18 minutes ago, benali said:

METZ would be so good.

Looking at Will's list I'd be surprised if Yard Act played again so soon. On the other hand maybe they'll give Kelly Lee Owens another slot after hers was partially wrecked by technical issues last year?

This isn't really a precedent festivals should be setting, really. Festivals are fast-paced, sometimes there's shitty sound issues out of your control, you just deal with it and move on. She was poor when I saw her a few months later so I'd rather that slot be given to someone who is around fresh this year and could make use of the slot.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

This isn't really a precedent festivals should be setting, really. Festivals are fast-paced, sometimes there's shitty sound issues out of your control, you just deal with it and move on. She was poor when I saw her a few months later so I'd rather that slot be given to someone who is around fresh this year and could make use of the slot.

Fair comment. She had to go off for about 20 minutes though, so it was a pretty bad disruption. Not sure if her set ended early or not because I left to go and watch something else about 15 minutes in.

The other thing in her favour for a repeat booking is that she's Welsh and GM love their local acts.

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Low have been mixing in a few oldies recently in their setlists, including the fantastic When I Go Deaf.  Would love to hear that at Green Man. 

That would be amazing, they tend to mix it up even for their festival sets. Not my first choices of cuts at their EOTR 19 set mind: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/low/2019/larmer-tree-gardens-salisbury-england-239f4c7b.html

Interesting how little they're playing off of Double Negative. (Saw them a few times on that tour so from a selfish perspective I'm quite happy for it) 

9 hours ago, Tuna said:

That would be amazing, they tend to mix it up even for their festival sets. Not my first choices of cuts at their EOTR 19 set mind: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/low/2019/larmer-tree-gardens-salisbury-england-239f4c7b.html

Interesting how little they're playing off of Double Negative. (Saw them a few times on that tour so from a selfish perspective I'm quite happy for it) 

I’m hoping they essentially play all of HEY WHAT because the sequencing of that album is just perfect and then tag on a few older ones. 

EDIT: This is conditional on them not clashing with Beach House which would mess me up

Edited by lessthanwill1

Makes sense that they aren't playing many off Double Negative. 

I don't think there's another band on the planet I'd choose to see over Low at a festival.

Is anyone going to see them this month? I'll be in Brighton for the St George's church gig.

Thoughts on Caroline Polachek being added?  She doesn’t really seem like a typical GM act to me but if you recall she was sort of announced for GM 2020 before it was cancelled.  She appeared on some of the posters that artists were posting to announce that they were playing (e.g Caribou, see below).  When I asked them about this, GM said she was not currently playing but would let me know if that changed…At the time, it seemed to be that they were holding her back for a second announcement that obviously never came. 

She’s playing APE the week after GM so she’s around. 

91A49646-1E4C-46EF-8443-3A64E1773F1F.jpeg

So 2nd announcement next week...

123 acts played GM' 21 across the main four stages (including after dark slots) by my count.  I think there are 83 equivalent acts on the poster.  I've excluded the DJs already announced that just play between acts (big jeff, adam walton, huw stephens).

So that's 40 acts to be announced (plus Chai Wallahs at some point) assuming we're looking at the same number of acts as last year.  They'll probably hold a few acts back for when they announce day splits.  So I reckon we could be looking at potentially 25-35 acts next week.  That sounds high but i think my "maths" is right! 

I think this next announcement is likely to be split up into: 

• 2 to 3 bigger acts: My guess for these would be BADBADNOTGOOD, Diiv and Sons of Kemet.  This would be quite boring in my opinion but solid.  
  • Some after dark DJs: I have a feeling HAAi will be booked for this.  Floating Points also seems quite likely.  My other guess is Raf Rundell
  • Some more middle-of-the-road size-wise acts: Wet Leg, Let's Eat GrandmaBeak>, Bonny Light Horseman, Metz, Fionn Regan, W.H. Lung etc. 
  • Some acts from the EOTR line up: I would like to steal Audiobooks, Mandy Indiana and Yasmin Williams
  • Some acts I've never heard of! 

EDIT: Actually...if Wet Leg are booked this year, where do you think they would play?  They could be pretty high up thinking about it...

Edited by lessthanwill1

Re Wet Leg, they of course kinda opened the festival last year. Are we happy to overlook the two festivals on the bounce rule?

My take is the rule is basically out the window as everything was so messed up last year touring wise, with Katy J Pearson a good example of that. 

17 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

Re Wet Leg, they of course kinda opened the festival last year. Are we happy to overlook the two festivals on the bounce rule?

My take is the rule is basically out the window as everything was so messed up last year touring wise, with Katy J Pearson a good example of that. 

I think in their case it would be fine as I suspect a lot of people missed them last year! There’s usually the odd repeat booking. I think there’s a couple already (Melin Melyn and Katy as you’ve said). Pictish Trail plays every year as well! 

22 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

So 2nd announcement next week...

123 acts played GM' 21 across the main four stages (including after dark slots) by my count.  I think there are 83 equivalent acts on the poster.  I've excluded the DJs already announced that just play between acts (big jeff, adam walton, huw stephens).

So that's 40 acts to be announced (plus Chai Wallahs at some point) assuming we're looking at the same number of acts as last year.  They'll probably hold a few acts back for when they announce day splits.  So I reckon we could be looking at potentially 25-35 acts next week.  That sounds high but i think my "maths" is right! 

I think this next announcement is likely to be split up into: 

• 2 to 3 bigger acts: My guess for these would be BADBADNOTGOOD, Diiv and Sons of Kemet.  This would be quite boring in my opinion but solid.  
  • Some after dark DJs: I have a feeling HAAi will be booked for this.  Floating Points also seems quite likely.  My other guess is Raf Rundell
  • Some more middle-of-the-road size-wise acts: Wet Leg, Let's Eat GrandmaBeak>, Bonny Light Horseman, Metz, Fionn Regan, W.H. Lung etc. 
  • Some acts from the EOTR line up: I would like to steal Audiobooks, Mandy Indiana and Yasmin Williams
  • Some acts I've never heard of! 

EDIT: Actually...if Wet Leg are booked this year, where do you think they would play?  They could be pretty high up thinking about it...

Hopefully there will be some more Rising acts announced too. 

I like to try and guess them so here's a few goes:

Enola Gay, Youth Sector, Regressive Left, Deadletter, The Early Mornings, For Breakfast, Mandrake Handshake.

Also a wishlist for local bands to me who I'd love to get a chance are Web, Cowboyy and Mystic Peach.

Wet Leg will be Mountain Stage I'd imagine? 

I didn't realise before but the booking of bands for festivals is quite political and quite dependent on which agents are favoured. Because these are one off events I presumed it would pretty much be a free for all, but that's not the case according to a band I spoke to recently. (The band in question were really lovely, so none of this came across as bitter or anything, more a "that's just how it works" type of conversation)

1 hour ago, benali said:

Hopefully there will be some more Rising acts announced too. 

I like to try and guess them so here's a few goes:

Enola Gay, Youth Sector, Regressive Left, Deadletter, The Early Mornings, For Breakfast, Mandrake Handshake.

Also a wishlist for local bands to me who I'd love to get a chance are Web, Cowboyy and Mystic Peach.

Wet Leg will be Mountain Stage I'd imagine? 

I didn't realise before but the booking of bands for festivals is quite political and quite dependent on which agents are favoured. Because these are one off events I presumed it would pretty much be a free for all, but that's not the case according to a band I spoke to recently. (The band in question were really lovely, so none of this came across as bitter or anything, more a "that's just how it works" type of conversation)

Agreed re rising.  Would really like Mandrake Handshake to be there!  In addition to your list, I could imagine Sprints, Vlure, Personal Trainer, Wunderhorse and Eades being added. 

Yeah think Wet Leg would go down very well early doors on the Mountain Stage.

I’m no expert on the bookings but that sounds right to me.  I’ve noticed a few of the bands on the line up are supporting/playing alongside bands that are also on the line up on their current tours (e.g. Dry Cleaning and Maria Somerville; Valerie June and Buffalo Nicholls) and I suspect that has something to do with the booking agents.  GM also seem to have good relationships with particular labels (e.g. Heavenly Recordings) and I wonder whether there is any sort of arrangement in place in that respect.  My absolute dream job is to be a festival booker would love to know more about how it works.

Edited by lessthanwill1

36 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Agreed re rising.  Would really like Mandrake Handshake to be there!  In addition to your list, I could imagine Sprints, Vlure, Personal Trainer, Wunderhorse and Eades being added. 

I’m no expert on the bookings but that sounds right to me.  I’ve noticed a few of the bands on the line up are supporting/playing alongside bands that are also on the line up on their current tours (e.g. Dry Cleaning and Maria Somerville; Valerie June and Buffalo Nicholls) and I suspect that has something to do with the booking agents.  GM also seem to have good relationships with particular labels (e.g. Heavenly Recordings) and I wonder whether there is any sort of arrangement in place in that respect.  My absolute dream job is to be a festival booker would love to know more about how it works.

I'm only guessing here but linking in with your point about support bands, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of "you can have this band but only if you have this band" and other deals like "they will play the Friday if you book this other band on X stage in X slot."

The more that happens, the fewer slots are available for artists with different agents. I bet it's actually a pretty cut throat business at times.

2 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Re: How the booking works - Glastocast (an unofficial Glastonbury podcast) had the booker from Boomtown on their latest episode and it’s well worth a listen. Completely non specific in terms of relating to any particular festival and just talks through the process. Definitely worth skipping through the episode to listen (and worth listening to the rest if you’re going to Glastonbury also)!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, lessthanwill1 said:

GM also seem to have good relationships with particular labels (e.g. Heavenly Recordings) and I wonder whether there is any sort of arrangement in place in that respect.  My absolute dream job is to be a festival booker would love to know more about how it works.

Different scene altogether I know but it's clearly a thing at 2000 Trees where they have clear relationships with certain labels e.g. Big Scary Monsters and Xtra Mile, and a lot of slots go to their rosters. 

7 hours ago, moonage505 said:

Don’t think they were announced but saw Honeyglaze open for Wet Leg last night and spoke to them after the show about GM. They said they think they’re playing this year! They did last year too if memory serves… 

They did play last year. I really like them, debut album out next week I think.