Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

On 3/24/2022 at 10:56 AM, lessthanwill1 said:

Ah no worries!! Someone was asking about whether anyone had seen Slint at Green Man when they played a while back (2014 I believe). 

Ah....ok. They clashed with Mercury Rev. And I had to see them. Obviously gutting. 

Two artists that have grown on me massively since the announcement:

1. Charlotte Adigery 

2. Valerie June.

I think the former’s new record is really interesting.  Really fun dance record.  I reckon she would be great late on at the Walled Garden - potentially headlining.

Love Valerie’s voice and I’ve really gotten into her after watching some of her live videos, which bring her songs to life a bit more as they didn’t immediately capture me.  I can see her being middle of the afternoon on the Main Stage.  

1 hour ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Two artists that have grown on me massively since the announcement:

1. Charlotte Adigery 

2. Valerie June.

I think the former’s new record is really interesting.  Really fun dance record.  I reckon she would be great late on at the Walled Garden - potentially headlining.

Love Valerie’s voice and I’ve really gotten into her after watching some of her live videos, which bring her songs to life a bit more as they didn’t immediately capture me.  I can see her being middle of the afternoon on the Main Stage.  

My friend saw her (and Bolis Pupul) last night, after I recommended that Topical Dancer album to her. She said it was ace, that they're are a must see at Green Man

17 minutes ago, JHad said:

Just noticed @lessthanwill1's latest Twitter exchange with GM. They used a clock emoji with 3 pm on the face. Any chance that was a reference to today rather than being generic?!

Haha I’m so keen.  It’ll be generic sadly.  Maybe we’ll get something in the next few weeks!?  Given EOTR went first this year, I kind of think they’ll do their next announcement before GM but maybe that won’t necessarily be the case.

Also, great to hear positive feedback re: Charlotte Adigery.  Think she’s on my “hoping to see” list now. 

35 minutes ago, lessthanwill1 said:

Haha I’m so keen.  It’ll be generic sadly.  Maybe we’ll get something in the next few weeks!?  Given EOTR went first this year, I kind of think they’ll do their next announcement before GM but maybe that won’t necessarily be the case.

Me too! I got a little bit overexcited for a few minutes!!

Drunk review of Mdou Moctar is that they're pretty decent. Mdou is a good guitarist and the drummer is very good but most of the songs sound very similar and the set drags a fair bit. Worth checking out at the festival but not unmissable by any means. 

After Jenny Hval on Monday I'll have seen half of the acts I'd really want to see at Green Man but I'll make sure to report back after the gig.  I don't think her new album is as good as the couple before it (and the Lost Girls album)  but I'm still enjoying it a lot. 

17 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Drunk review of Mdou Moctar is that they're pretty decent. Mdou is a good guitarist and the drummer is very good but most of the songs sound very similar and the set drags a fair bit. Worth checking out at the festival but not unmissable by any means. 

After Jenny Hval on Monday I'll have seen half of the acts I'd really want to see at Green Man but I'll make sure to report back after the gig.  I don't think her new album is as good as the couple before it (and the Lost Girls album)  but I'm still enjoying it a lot. 

Enjoying the reviews!  I feel the same way about Mdou Moctar to be honest in terms of the songs being similar.  That said, I plan on being down the front just so that I can watch him shred close up.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts on Jenny Hval.  I’m enjoying the album and I think it’s right up there with her best stuff.  I am absolutely obsessed with American Coffee. 

42 minutes ago, dpdp said:

The tour announcement from DIIV seem to suggest they may be at Green Man.  I believe they were due to be announced in 2020 before the cancelation.

Ahh good spot. Because they’re in Europe on the Saturday and Sunday?  Definitely seem likely for Friday in that case.  Would assume they would be fairly high up in the FO if not a headliner. 

1 minute ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Could Yves Tumor be an after dark act in Far Out possibly? They did a late night show in Bristol a few weeks ago, starting at midnight-ish 

Could be!  However, I think his tour poster has him down playing Thursday and they don’t usually have after dark slots on the Thursday. That could change of course!  Or the date isn’t right in the poster! 

Hoping GM follows EOTR next week.  Anyone spotted any likely acts based on tour dates?  We have Diiv courtesy of @dpdp

I would be surprised if BADBADNOTGOOD are not announced given they are playing Pukkelpop, Paredes de Coura and Lowlands over GM weekend (which I think leaves one day for GM?) and it's been five years since they last played. 

I've just noticed that Bruno Pernadas is playing Paredes de Coura - would love to see him added.  Also at Paredes who seem like GM acts or have played GM before: Boy Harsher, Porridge Radio (maybe not again so soon), Kelly Lee Owens (ditto), The Comet is Coming, Haai, John Talabot. 

I would like to see Yu Su added from the Pukkelpop line up.  There are some others from Pukkelpop that seem fairly likely: Wet Leg, Tamino, Yard Act, Arlo Parks, KOKOROKO, NewDad, Sons of Kemet. 

There are some great acts at Canela Party in Spain the week after GM.  Ty Segall, Torres and Sugar Candy Mountain are there who are already announced.  Others that could play GM: Dan Deacon (yes please!), Deerhoof, Ghum, Metz, Omni, Preoccupations. 

• Upvote 1