Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

I wonder how many of those that were in the 2020 announcement who didn't play this year are already booked? I know Kiwanuka moved all his dates to 2022 a while back. Mac DeMarco, Little Dragon, Agnes Obel, Parquet Courts, Ty Segall, Lucina Williams... Goldfrapp were going to celebrate Felt Mountain's anniversary so I doubt they're coming.

20th anniversary so surely there going to go for a slightly bigger headliner?

Would love Sufjan Stevens. Can't help but think Super Furry Animals will appear at some point for a greatest hits set.

Would love Parquet Courts and Ty Segall. Get in Oh Sees as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Would be very surprised if Michael Kiwanuka didn't headline along with SFA as it's both theirs and GMs 20th anniversary. 

Mac Demarco was a weak/uninspired booking imo so hope he isn't back. Would love a female headliner as there hasn't been once since 2017. Would personally love Phoebe Bridgers  

7 minutes ago, rug568 said:

Would be very surprised if Michael Kiwanuka didn't headline along with SFA as it's both theirs and GMs 20th anniversary. 

Mac Demarco was a weak/uninspired booking imo so hope he isn't back. Would love a female headliner as there hasn't been once since 2017. Would personally love Phoebe Bridgers  

Yeah agreed re SFA. Seems quite likely. GM also liked SFA’s promotional video for their anniversary on Twitter. 

Definitely think Phoebe could do it. She’s immensely popular despite only having two albums. Would love to see it.

1 hour ago, March Hare said:

They know they have more competition next year so not surprised they are getting sales done early. Wonder if they will do it in tiers with price increases like EOTR. I’m not buying until next month anyway

55FE1883-6312-4E76-A1D6-D132B80EE632.png

VAT rate 5 pc until end of September. It then moves to 12.5 pc until 1 April 2022 when back to 20 pc. I’m surprised more festivals aren’t  making a real effort to knock out tickets now. It’s a big difference if you multiply it by the number of tickets sold.

2 hours ago, John L said:

VAT rate 5 pc until end of September. It then moves to 12.5 pc until 1 April 2022 when back to 20 pc. I’m surprised more festivals aren’t  making a real effort to knock out tickets now. It’s a big difference if you multiply it by the number of tickets sold.

Oh wow, didn’t realise that. That’s interesting 

On another note - has anyone gone through the post-festival feedback questionnaire Green Man sent out, and if so, what did you think?

Apart from it being a bit odd and fiddly to fill out in places, there was one question that made me shudder, something along the lines of "would you accept some corporate sponsorship to deal with the ever rising costs the festival faces?"

The independent-ness of that festival is in my mind the biggest asset it has. If it is denigrated, even slightly, it's game over.  

Was also some interesting parts on where the live in vehicles could go, I admit I don't use one so I have no skin in the game, but reading between the lines it seemed like they were testing the idea of having the live in vehicles somewhere else (maybe a shuttle bus away or something I'm assuming) to free up space for more tents/arena space. Would be really interested to hear thoughts on that too - if I have understood the sub text correctly, anyway. 

50 minutes ago, _Tommy_ said:

On another note - has anyone gone through the post-festival feedback questionnaire Green Man sent out, and if so, what did you think?

Apart from it being a bit odd and fiddly to fill out in places, there was one question that made me shudder, something along the lines of "would you accept some corporate sponsorship to deal with the ever rising costs the festival faces?"

The independent-ness of that festival is in my mind the biggest asset it has. If it is denigrated, even slightly, it's game over.  

Was also some interesting parts on where the live in vehicles could go, I admit I don't use one so I have no skin in the game, but reading between the lines it seemed like they were testing the idea of having the live in vehicles somewhere else (maybe a shuttle bus away or something I'm assuming) to free up space for more tents/arena space. Would be really interested to hear thoughts on that too - if I have understood the sub text correctly, anyway. 

I believe they ask the question about corporate sponsorship every year in their questionnaire.

I agree that the independence of the festival is a massive asset but I think it’s just an interesting thing for them to ask to test out their demographic.  

As long as people keeping saying NO SPONSORSHIP, then they’ll listen (🤞). 

1 hour ago, _Tommy_ said:

This is a bit dramatic. The idea that Green Man is somehow ~purer~ than other festivals because of the lack of sponsorship is rose-tinted mythologising – it's entirely possible to go to multiple brilliant festivals across the summer and not even notice their sponsorship because it simply becomes background noise. We're living in the 21st century and branding is everywhere, all day.

If it's a case of the festival continuing to book decent acts and have to put a few small logos on the poster and around the site, or one of the tents being renamed, then fine by me. I wouldn't even be thinking of running a festival nowadays without some money guaranteed from elsewhere.

• Upvote 1