Green Man 2022

the wonderwhy

34 minutes ago, SighMo said:

Had my flagpole and Radiohead flag which I’d made stolen last night; had it since 2017 so a bit pissed off. Dickhead and talkers count was def up this year. 

Oh my god, SO MUCH CHITCHAT even relatively close to the stage. I genuinely wonder why some people bothered to go and see bands because all they were doing was yapping on through the whole set. I think they thought it was the pub with some background music… 

Was the same at Glastonbury, though, and at several gigs I’ve been to. It’s bizarre. 

Ok so back from Green Man 22 (first one for me since 2018)and started writing a review but have written ‘perfect’ so many times I scrapped it and just put a few notes down instead.

Bands/ artists I enjoyed

Planning to Rock was a great start to my weekend and though I’m not a fan of the Far Out stage Pregoblin were good fun.

I was gutted to miss most of Bess Atwell’s set but not as much as missing most of BCNR. What I saw that looked really special! I’ll definitely be catching them when I get chance.

Loved Public Service broadcasting but then I’ve seen them many times so I’m probably not that impartial. Though it was a great last minute GM booking but not sure if it took the edge off Kraftwerk (for me) as I found myself getting a bit restless towards the end. A great experience though!

Enjoyed Sophie Jamieson - super chilled start to Saturday 

I had such expectations of Torres in the Walled garden but thought the sound was a bit off from down the front. Not sure if it sounded better elsewhere?

Got hugged by a random stranger during Beach House - what’s not to like?

Loved Katherine Priddy and Naima bock 

Also really liked Group listening. I hadn’t intended to watch GL but was so glad I found myself in the walled garden when they were playing. Ideal daydream music for a Sunday afternoon. I’ve never seen a whole audience lying down before! Reminded me of a giant nap time in a nursery school. I half expected someone to hand out play doh or get the finger painting going.

Michael Kiwanuka - a really solid end to a lovely weekend at my favourite festival 

General obs on the site

Easiest time going through wristbands- had the tent up by 945 Thursday.

The general campsite felt very full. This morning I couldn’t get my trolley out as the tents were too close and the person in the next tent was so close their tent was pitched on my guy rope. Funnily though I didn’t think the extra busy was reflected in the arena or stages - they didn’t feel overly crowded. I got the feeling more people are treating festivals as more of a family holiday and that the lack of space is more to do with the size of tents and added awnings and gazebos etc. 

Glad to they seem to have added a few more food venues since my last visit, it will never be enough at peak times but I didn’t have to wait too long. The court yard bar was surprisingly deserted compared with my previous visits.

And the weather - perfect!

Edited by Mambonumberfive
Typo

1 hour ago, mario man said:

My only issue was camping - because everyone compares GM and EOTR I wasn’t really anticipating the struggle to find a spot to camp! We arrived on site at 4pm on Thursday but it was quickly clear there was very little space. We were parked right at the end of the northern car park and walked across the whole site (at least up to Settlement Bar) before realising everywhere was the same and we just had to find a gap somewhere to squeeze in. The kids were knackered & after the second trip back to the car I was a broken man for the rest of the day!

It's not well publicised. I only know as its the first year I've camped there. And I dont work there.....but......I THINK anyone is allowed to camp in accessible camping. There was loads of space. Obviously, you would need to leave a lot of space for those who need it (i.e space for wheelchairs etc). And, I guess, if it gets super busy there, I would ASSUME you would be moved on. But, for as long as Ive been going to Green Man, its always empty. We camped there this year to my kids developing needs, and there was plenty space for others.....

Just a thought...

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, SighMo said:

Had my flagpole and Radiohead flag which I’d made stolen last night; had it since 2017 so a bit pissed off. Dickhead and talkers count was def up this year. 

I think you may have been camped in the same area as me as I heard people using your flag as a way of giving directions. Sorry to hear it got stolen. Also probably not related but there were at least two thefts from tents on Friday. Seems so out of character with the people who usually attend GM. That said the righteously entitled were out in full swing this year and they are breeding.! 

28 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Oh my god, SO MUCH CHITCHAT even relatively close to the stage. I genuinely wonder why some people bothered to go and see bands because all they were doing was yapping on through the whole set. I think they thought it was the pub with some background music… 

Was the same at Glastonbury, though, and at several gigs I’ve been to. It’s bizarre. 

I got this too. I just assumed it was where I was (with a wagon, we obviously stayed well back. Where the chatter quota would be higher...)

1 hour ago, SighMo said:

Gutted mate. That's well shit.

Talkers were very irritating during Honeyglaze and Kraftwerk for definite. Nuha Ruby Ra was stood in front of us at Kraftwerk, talked all the time she was there for about half an hour and then fucked off. 

Best crowds are at Rising and Walled Garden. They are so appreciative at Rising and much quieter at Walled Garden than anywhere else.

Im one of the people who will chat during a set. Sometimes it will last a minute or two. I’m there to hang out with my mates who I don’t see very often. Everyone does gigs in their own way I suppose.  Many like to sit down for example 😂

Edited by March Hare
  • Downvote 5

Just now, March Hare said:

Im one of the people who will chat during a set. Sometimes it will last a minute or two. I’m there to hang out with my mates who I don’t see very often. Every does gigs in their own way I suppose.  Many like to sit down for example 😂

If I'm watching someone I'm not fussed about and want a chat I'll go outside the tent or stand near the back. The person you are stood next to while chatting might have waited years to see a band and they don't want it ruined.

• Upvote 10

11 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Im one of the people who will chat during a set. Sometimes it will last a minute or two. I’m there to hang out with my mates who I don’t see very often. Everyone does gigs in their own way I suppose.  Many like to sit down for example 😂

Some of us have no choice but to sit down at a gig.

However, my being sat down has no detriment to your enjoyment of the gig. Your chat might ruin my enjoyment of gig. Have a think about it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, March Hare said:

Im one of the people who will chat during a set. I’m there to hang out with my mates who I don’t see very often.

In what way is this different to going to the cinema but I bet you’d be pissed off sitting to someone talking through a movie next to you.

Be a decent human and talk between songs but not during them.

Edited by xxialac
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

However, my being sat down has no detriment to your enjoyment of the gig. Your chat might ruin my enjoyment of gig. Have a think about it. 

Depends how far in you decide to sit (i'm sure your considerate though, but some people, commonly the ones with picnic blankets, are not!)

6 minutes ago, gfa said:

Depends how far in you decide to sit (i'm sure your considerate though, but some people, commonly the ones with picnic blankets, are not!)

FWIW I sit near the back or side on a chair. 

But wherever people choose to sit, it’s still not actively disruptive to the audience’s enjoyment of a gig, nor is it disrespectful to the performance.

Chatting during songs is ALWAYS disruptive and rude. 

25 minutes ago, Rumblestripe said:

Chatting during a gig is rude to the artiste playing and inconsiderate to those wanting to listen to the band. Don't be a dick if you want to chat go stand at the bar with your mates, go have a p!ss or get something to eat. Thanks.

Exactly. I was so happy when Fenne Lily stopped her set on GM rising a few years back and said to a pair of talkers that she didn’t interrupt them while they are working! They looked suitable embarrassed and promptly shut up.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Exactly. I was so happy when Fenne Lily stopped her set on GM rising a few years back and said to a pair of talkers that she didn’t interrupt them while they are working! They looked suitable embarrassed and promptly shut up.

Good for her! The crowd itself turned on a pair of chatty folk during Erland Cooper last year and they swiftly left, but quite what posessed them to rock up to his gig and stand honking away about their, like, amazing lunch anyway showed a shocking lack of awareness. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Mambonumberfive said:

Ok so back from Green Man 22 (first one for me since 2018)and started writing a review but have written ‘perfect’ so many times I scrapped it and just put a few notes down instead.

Bands/ artists I enjoyed

Planning to Rock was a great start to my weekend and though I’m not a fan of the Far Out stage Pregoblin were good fun.

I was gutted to miss most of Bess Atwell’s set but not as much as missing most of BCNR. What I saw that looked really special! I’ll definitely be catching them when I get chance.

Loved Public Service broadcasting but then I’ve seen them many times so I’m probably not that impartial. Though it was a great last minute GM booking but not sure if it took the edge off Kraftwerk (for me) as I found myself getting a bit restless towards the end. A great experience though!

Enjoyed Sophie Jamieson - super chilled start to Saturday 

I had such expectations of Torres in the Walled garden but thought the sound was a bit off from down the front. Not sure if it sounded better elsewhere?

Got hugged by a random stranger during Beach House - what’s not to like?

Loved Katherine Priddy and Naima bock 

Also really liked Group listening. I hadn’t intended to watch GL but was so glad I found myself in the walled garden when they were playing. Ideal daydream music for a Sunday afternoon. I’ve never seen a whole audience lying down before! Reminded me of a giant nap time in a nursery school. I half expected someone to hand out play doh or get the finger painting going.

Michael Kiwanuka - a really solid end to a lovely weekend at my favourite festival 

General obs on the site

Easiest time going through wristbands- had the tent up by 945 Thursday.

The general campsite felt very full. This morning I couldn’t get my trolley out as the tents were too close and the person in the next tent was so close their tent was pitched on my guy rope. Funnily though I didn’t think the extra busy was reflected in the arena or stages - they didn’t feel overly crowded. I got the feeling more people are treating festivals as more of a family holiday and that the lack of space is more to do with the size of tents and added awnings and gazebos etc. 

Glad to they seem to have added a few more food venues since my last visit, it will never be enough at peak times but I didn’t have to wait too long. The court yard bar was surprisingly deserted compared with my previous visits.

And the weather - perfect!

Torres sound was terrible at the front. I left and circled round to where the walkthrough is and it was fine. There was an issue with the vocal mix at the front all day in the Walled Garden. 

1 hour ago, benali said:

If I'm watching someone I'm not fussed about and want a chat I'll go outside the tent or stand near the back. The person you are stood next to while chatting might have waited years to see a band and they don't want it ruined.

I appreciate that. It’s not talk about work etc, it’s normally about the festival stuff like how much I love the song that just played etc. I’m not going to move out of a 45 minute set for that.  Just got to let it slide 

I don’t understand big hats, late arrivals pushing forward etc so we all have stuff that annoys.

I should add if I’m not doing it while on the railing. 

Edited by March Hare

1 hour ago, pie_and_a_pint said:

Again, I’m commenting to give a different perspective.  Sitting down making it hard for me to bounce around, especially when quite close to the front

1 hour ago, benali said:

Gutted mate. That's well shit.

Talkers were very irritating during Honeyglaze and Kraftwerk for definite. Nuha Ruby Ra was stood in front of us at Kraftwerk, talked all the time she was there for about half an hour and then fucked off. 

Best crowds are at Rising and Walled Garden. They are so appreciative at Rising and much quieter at Walled Garden than anywhere else.

Always surprises me how respectful people usually are at Rising. By far and away the best crowds and the way it's set up seems to largely dent any noise from outside the cover.  

11 minutes ago, March Hare said:

I appreciate that. It’s not talk about work etc, it’s normally about the festival stuff like how much I love the song that just played etc. I’m not going to move out of a 45 minute set for that.  Just got to let it slide 

I don’t understand big hats, late arrivals pushing forward etc so we all have stuff that annoys.

I should add if I’m not doing it while on the railing. 

If you are happy to talk in the middle of the crowd, why do you not do it on the railing too?

In both situations you piss off the people around you. It doesn't matter if you are saying how wonderful the festival is, you're still prioritising your desire to talk over other people's desire to listen. And considering it's a blimming gig, wanting to listen is not unreasonable.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jeel said:

Torres sound was terrible at the front. I left and circled round to where the walkthrough is and it was fine. There was an issue with the vocal mix at the front all day in the Walled Garden. 

Thanks I wish I’d done the same. I seem to recall issues in previous years. Shame because when they get it right (Group Listening/ Sophie Jamieson) it’s such a nice place to be.

• Upvote 1

Another good time at GM. Very much the same as other years really.

Cons

The children are rapidly taking over. Now, I don't mind kids really and they're very largely well behaved but I'm surprised no one is hurt by a child barrelling into them or rolling in front of them. I barely avoided a few at below knee height. It's getting a bit too much around the main stage.  As is children using the flat bit to play games when people are trying to watch bands. There's plenty of space elsewhere.

Which also includes the problem of mini wagons everywhere. Which, combined with people wanting to use middle to front of stages as a place for a picnic, including the dimness in Far Out, made it a bit ridiculous at times to navigate. Walled Garden was ridiculous at some point with sitter. Again, plenty of room, but not getting up or moving when people wanted to stand. 

As for talking, it's always been an iffy festival for it but I didn't really notice a particular problem. And for any avoidance of doubt, if you talk during a gig near the front to middle then you're a selfish and ignorant such and such. No need to spoil it for others but this seems endemic at most gigs and festivals.

Water points were badly thought out. 3 taps for all toilets AND water filling was ridiculous. You either got people politely queuing to fill up water in a fair heat for Wales or people filling up when others wanted to wash their hands. Separate them and make sure they're close to the toilets. Also, it's better not to think of the hygiene of those compost cups!

The line-up was a bit limp with some odd timings/stage choices

I don't really get the cinema. Why are the sides open when all you can hear is the Chai Wallahs? Sure, there are subtitles, but there's zero attempt to blot out noise. 

Pros

Loos - While still mourning the loss of Andy's Loos, it has to be said that the compost ones worked much better this year. Seemed to be cleaned better. They could all use hooks on the back of the doors, and they're a bit cramped, but yeah. The women's urinals seemed to really help with queuing and the men's ones were better this year.

Food - I'm not sure how, but there seemed to be less queuing for food this year. There was always a quick option, even at busies times and there seemed more in different areas.

There also seemed to be more on at most times which seemed to help with crowding. More stuff away from the main stages, which felt a lot better. People seemed to be spread out more across the site.

Beer was good again and again I found the bars much better this year in terms of queuing. 

General atmosphere was very good again. I saw less idiot behaviour, even though it's obviously not a festival for that, and a general friendliness throughout. 

The sound was good on most stages, except for Saturday in the Walled Garden where there was a terrible vocal mix near the front. 

Lots of very helpful people around.

Site was so clean. Hardly noticed any litter laying around. Which is impressive considering the mix of punter on site

Rising - I thought the line-up was impressive this year, as was the way it was managed and the sound. 

Edited by Jeel
  • Like 1