Album of the Month Tournament - August 2021

kingcrawler

2 hours ago, Baggins7 said:

1. Jungle - Loving in Stereo

2. The Killers - Pressure Machine

3. Lorde - Solar Power

Found this month tough to pick out the top 3, had a shortlist of 6 to pick from also including Chvrches, Turnstile and Jade Bird. Decent month

Oh yea, forgot Jade Birds release was this month, even went to the rough trade release tour. Very good it is and maybe should have been in my 3 really

On 8/31/2021 at 2:09 PM, Quark said:

I believe EPs have been allowed previously, although some have viewed it as a bit of a waste to select EPs rather than LPs. Personally I'm all for it; if it's good enough, it's long enough. As it were.

tbf EPs when they're 4 tracks long shouldn't be counted, but most of the time now EPs are 8 tracks long and only considered EPs by the label so they don't count as a real contractual album, and imo should count

21 hours ago, fred quimby said:

Oh yea, forgot Jade Birds release was this month, even went to the rough trade release tour. Very good it is and maybe should have been in my 3 really

I was browsing in Rough Trade brick lane when she was soundchecking. Sounded great, and I can't wait to go to one of her gigs.

My votes

1. Halsey - If I Can't Have You, I Don't Want Nobody Baby. If I Can't Have You. Whoa-oa-oa.

2. Turnstile - GLOW ON

3. Orla Gartland - Woman on the Internet

There was a lot of albums this month. Lot of good ones.

Hardest month yet for me. Not massively connected with any of them and any that I have liked seem to have been July or June releases that I missed. In fairness I have had a crazy busy month at work and not been listening deeply so no doubt by the end of September I'll know my favourite releases! 

So I am going to go for:

Big Red Machine

Superstate

Orla Gartland

Edited by gigpusher
changed my mind. I said I was indecisive this month!!

On 8/31/2021 at 12:23 PM, gigpusher said:

Some of my favourites from this month have been stuff I missed from other months. Going to have to check the release dates carefully. 

Yeah I thought Bleachers had my favourite album of the month, then I realised it came out on the last day of July. Suspect lots of good albums that come out at the end of the month don't get any love in our monthly votes as no one has really had time to evaluate them properly.

6 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Yeah I thought Bleachers had my favourite album of the month, then I realised it came out on the last day of July. Suspect lots of good albums that come out at the end of the month don't get any love in our monthly votes as no one has really had time to evaluate them properly.

I often use the albums voted in this thread for my start of month listening and I basically add and remove albums as and when I make my mind up about them. I still had some June albums up until last week. I fucked up not voting for the latest Marina album in June. It's a great album. Oh well I don't mind not being at the cutting edge. I'm still reading books that were written hundreds of years ago so only a few months out of date is pretty decent!!

• Upvote 1