Album of the Month Tournament - August 2021

kingcrawler

I just counted this morning's posts as they didn't affect the top three anyway.

5. Chvrches - Screen Violence (18 points)

100000x100000-999.jpeg

Apple Music

Spotify

Three points ahead of Big Red Machine, a somewhat return to form from Chvrches gets them fifth place.

4. Jungle - Loving In Stereo (18 points)

jungle.jpg.f522b7f84f981ea8d4696eb66645180b.jpg

Apple Music

Spotify

A late post from @Quarksees Jungle shoot up to fourth. They ended up level on points with Chvrches but Jungle got more 1st place votes than Chvrches did, so gave them fourth based on that. 

3. Turnstile - Glow On (26 points)

Turnstile-Glow-On.jpg

Apple Music

Spotify

I was surprised to see this so high up but a resounding third place for Turnstile.

2. Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power (27 points)

Halsey.jpg

Apple Music

Spotify

Halsey narrowly beats Turnstile into second place. I'm not sure she'd normally place this high but this is a very good album, turns out getting Trent and Atticus in is what you need to do well in the eFests album of the month tournaments, which I'm sure is what everyone is aiming for.

1. The Killers - Pressure Machine (32 points)

The-Killlers-Pressure-Machine.jpeg

Apple Music

Spotify

A predictable but well deserved winner. Brandon and the lads continue their recent return to form with their most stripped back album yet.

---------

That leaves the albums of the month so far as below:

The Killers - Pressure Machine
Halsey - If I Can't Have Love, I Want Power
Turnstile - Glow On
Inhaler - It Won't Always Be Like This
Dave - We're All Alone In This Together
Snapped Ankles - Forest of Your Problems
Wolf Alice - Blue Weekend
Sault - 9
Lucy Dacus - Home Video
Iceage - Seek Shelter
Squid - Bright Green Field
St. Vincent - Daddy's Home
Royal Blood - Typhoons
Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg
The Coral - Coral Island
Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark
Bicep - Isles
Black Country, New Road - For the First Time
Nick Cave and Warren Ellis - Carnage
Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over the Country Club
For Those I Love - For Those I Love
Mogwai - As the Love Continues
Arlo Parks - Collapsed in Sunbeams
Shame - Drunk Tank Pink

• Thanks 4
  • Upvote 5

Some interesting observations (to me anyway):

• Halsey (6), Turnstile (6), Big Red Machine (5) and Jungle (5) all received more first place votes than The Killers (4) but Pressure Machine being everyone's second favourite album (8 votes) won it for them. 
  • Big Red Machine only got 5 votes, all of which were first place. A few of us loved it, the rest have had enough of constant chat about The National, Bon Iver and Taylor Swift apparently.
  • The people who liked Turnstile's album really liked it. It didn't receive any third place votes, 6 first place and 4 second place sealed top three for them. Halsey was similar, although one extra third place vote was enough to finish above Turnstile.
  • Lorde, something of a forum favourite before this album, only getting 5 points really highlights how disappointing Solar Power was. 

Cheers interesting results. Need to do a bit more listening to solidify how I feel about this months albums but they have actually been a bit meh for me this month. Could be that some will grow on me and I will keep them in rotation for a while yet and I have a few more to add based on votes in here so thanks to all those as always putting new music in my ears!

6 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

Lorde, something of a forum favourite before this album, only getting 5 points really highlights how disappointing Solar Power was. 

I actually liked Lorde's a lot more than I thought I would. Just wasn't coming out ahead of the other 3!

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

I actually liked Lorde's a lot more than I thought I would. Just wasn't coming out ahead of the other 3!

That's one I only added yesterday when I saw it mentioned on here. I'll be honest I didn't even notice it when it played which isn't a great 1st spin but I will hopefully hear it again over the weekend. 

22 hours ago, kingcrawler said:

Some interesting observations (to me anyway):

• Halsey (6), Turnstile (6), Big Red Machine (5) and Jungle (5) all received more first place votes than The Killers (4) but Pressure Machine being everyone's second favourite album (8 votes) won it for them. 
  • Big Red Machine only got 5 votes, all of which were first place. A few of us loved it, the rest have had enough of constant chat about The National, Bon Iver and Taylor Swift apparently.
  • The people who liked Turnstile's album really liked it. It didn't receive any third place votes, 6 first place and 4 second place sealed top three for them. Halsey was similar, although one extra third place vote was enough to finish above Turnstile.
  • Lorde, something of a forum favourite before this album, only getting 5 points really highlights how disappointing Solar Power was. 

Never!