Album of the Month Tournament - August 2021

kingcrawler

I figured I'd start this while I remembered. It's certainly been a much more interesting month than July with a few big releases so far and more to come on Friday. The Killers doing Nebraska, Big Red Machine roping in Taylor Swift and a load of indie favourites as well as Lorde and her crystal skulls. We all know how it works by now but the rules are here just in case.

Here is a reminder of the rules:

• Contest window: Any album released in August
  • Entry window: between the last 0:00 Friday of the month in question to 23:59 the first Thursday of the month following (this time that's 27th August - 2nd September).
  • The system: Choose any three albums released during the month in question in order of preference.  The best receives three points, second best two points and the third best one point. See example below:

1. Album A (3 POINTS)
2. Album B (2 POINTS)
3. Album C (1 POINT)

• Any entries that say "so many good records. Can't choose! So in no particular order..." indicate a complete lack of understanding of simple gamesmanship. Votes from those entries will, obviously, be completely ignored.
  • Everyone else, I will assume the order they are listed is the order of preference. Even if you number it 1. 2. 3. I will assume that is in order of favourite and not the points you are giving unless expressed otherwise.
Edited by kingcrawler
  • Thanks 4
  • Upvote 1

On 8/24/2021 at 9:37 PM, kingcrawler said:

this time that's 27th August - 2nd June

I think you've made a mistake with your dates, but not sure what the correct dates are?

Just realised the Bleachers album I love and was looking forward to voting for was actually released on July 30th. Guessing it's not eligible 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

I think you've made a mistake with your dates, but not sure what the correct dates are?

Just realised the Bleachers album I love and was looking forward to voting for was actually released on July 30th. Guessing it's not eligible 

Well spotted, I spent ages making sure I had updated everything but obviously not well enough! Updated now.

• Upvote 1

Reckon August has been a good month. Still loads I haven't really explored properly. I have not listened to the Killers yet

1. Moth Equals - Out of Darkness, by magic - quality ambient that takes me away from it all and just reside in that world for a while.

2. Orla Gartland - Women on the Internet - great singer songwriter gutted going to miss her live

3. Halsey- If I can't have love, I want Power - best album she as done with good choice of producers I reckon

Edited by fred quimby

1 Halsey- If I can't have love, I want Power. Totally unexpected as never listened to her before but the Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross influences win it.

2 Orla Gartland - Women on the Internet. Was the most played album of the month for me up until Halsey. 

3 Baba Ali - Memory Device. 

Edited by cdm22

9 minutes ago, Hutchmaster said:

Point of Order for @kingcrawler; the new Keaton Henson is technically billed as "Fragments EP" but at over 30 mins and 8 tracks long, it's closer to an album length than an EP. Can this be included in our lists, or has Keaton scored a massive own goal?

I believe EPs have been allowed previously, although some have viewed it as a bit of a waste to select EPs rather than LPs. Personally I'm all for it; if it's good enough, it's long enough. As it were.

1 hour ago, Hutchmaster said:

Point of Order for @kingcrawler; the new Keaton Henson is technically billed as "Fragments EP" but at over 30 mins and 8 tracks long, it's closer to an album length than an EP. Can this be included in our lists, or has Keaton scored a massive own goal?

I’m happy to count it. My number 1 last month was a 6 track album that was just over 30 minutes, so no reason why a long EP like that can’t be considered. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Avalon_Fields said:

1. The Killers - Pressure Machine

2. Benny The Butcher - Pyrex Picasso

3. Trapboy Freddie - Distractions

(There's no truth in the rumour I've only heard one of these).

In my own reality you've only heard the Trapboy Freddie album. It was OK, but you're convinced there are two better albums out there this month so you guessed #1 and #2.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Quark said:

I believe EPs have been allowed previously, although some have viewed it as a bit of a waste to select EPs rather than LPs. Personally I'm all for it; if it's good enough, it's long enough. As it were.

Yep I'm all for it as well. In fact many albums could do with being shorter these days and a lot of EP's are as long as some albums.