European festival recommendations

ourkid1984

Hi helpful people,

I'm looking to go back to a European festival next year but can only go from mid July to end of August.

I'm struggling to think of many festivals that are likely to be on and accessible (because of Covid) for people from the UK and within those dates.

I'd love any recommendations, just for an idea of what I like, here is a list of European festivals I've done and a brief description of what I liked/disliked about them:

Rock Werchter - went 4 times, loved atmosphere, line up and weather.

Southside - line up, camping, weather, prices.

Sziget - Been twice, atmosphere, choice of entertainment, camping options, visiting Budapest and weather.

Pukklepop - line up, weather, value for money; hated the camping (too crowded).

I'm currently thinking lowlands but any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks 

Anyone been to Roskilde? Their 2020 lineup was pretty insane and something of a dream lineup to my tastes (The Strokes, Taylor Swift, Thom Yorke, Kendrick Lamar, Faith No More, FKA Twigs, Deftones, Anderson Paak, Haim, Tyler The Creator,...). 

Consider "Glasto - Sziget - Roskilde" as the 'big three' of European fests, but I hardly read anything about Roskilde here on Efestivals. Why is that? 

2 hours ago, ourkid1984 said:

Hi helpful people,

I'm looking to go back to a European festival next year but can only go from mid July to end of August.

I'm struggling to think of many festivals that are likely to be on and accessible (because of Covid) for people from the UK and within those dates.

I'd love any recommendations, just for an idea of what I like, here is a list of European festivals I've done and a brief description of what I liked/disliked about them:

Rock Werchter - went 4 times, loved atmosphere, line up and weather.

Southside - line up, camping, weather, prices.

Sziget - Been twice, atmosphere, choice of entertainment, camping options, visiting Budapest and weather.

Pukklepop - line up, weather, value for money; hated the camping (too crowded).

I'm currently thinking lowlands but any other suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks 

Some great festivals there, pity you cant stretch it to a bit earlier as Roskilde in my experience is the best by far, followed by Sziget. Also depends what you are after line up bases(werchter, pukkelpop) or a more festival experience(Sziget). Seems to be the major player or late june early july rather than august, other than the ones mentioned.

Good luck with your search,  I will be doing Inmusic, Balaton and Sziget next year.

Edited by thetime

40 minutes ago, thetime said:

Some great festivals there, pity you cant stretch it to a bit earlier as Roskilde in my experience is the best by far, followed by Sziget. Also depends what you are after line up bases(werchter, pukkelpop) or a more festival experience(Sziget). Seems to be the major player or late june early july rather than august, other than the ones mentioned.

Good luck with your search,  I will be doing Inmusic, Balaton and Sziget next year.

I've wanted to do Roskilde but I work at a school so the English 6 weeks holiday's is the only viable time to go anywhere, especially for a festival in mainland Europe, which lasts for 3 or more days. 

I kind of go for both music and experience, for example I wouldn't go to Rock Werchter if I didn't like the line up and Sziget normally has enough other stuff to do that if I only see 3 or 4 bands a day I'm happy.

I've heard of InMusic and Balaton, they have mostly electronic and dance music don't they? 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ourkid1984 said:

I've heard of InMusic and Balaton, they have mostly electronic and dance music don't they? 

Balaton is more electronic, inmusic more emphasis on guitar music. For example headliners next year are Killers, nick cave and deftones. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, lighthouse said:

Anyone been to Roskilde? Their 2020 lineup was pretty insane and something of a dream lineup to my tastes (The Strokes, Taylor Swift, Thom Yorke, Kendrick Lamar, Faith No More, FKA Twigs, Deftones, Anderson Paak, Haim, Tyler The Creator,...). 

Consider "Glasto - Sziget - Roskilde" as the 'big three' of European fests, but I hardly read anything about Roskilde here on Efestivals. Why is that? 

I think its because its like the Tuesday-Sunday after Glastonbury so most people leave it a week or so after that. Also scandi is expensive generally vs rest of europe.

2 hours ago, foofajter said:

If you want to listen only one genre, in this case punk or ska, than you should check punk rock holiday. It is sold out, but it's possible to get tickets from other people on facebook event or ticetswap.

Check the lineups from previous years 

I'd love it but the people who I normally go with wouldn't like too much of the modern style ska or hardcore punk. 

42 minutes ago, Judithmt said:

Lowlands is great, but might be very difficult to get tickets. They sell like crazy in regular years. Next year they will give out pre sale code to those who had tickets for 2021, so will be even more difficult to get them in the regular sale.

Do you know when they're due to go on general sale?

1 hour ago, Judithmt said:

Don't think they've announced the date yet. Presale is in January. In previous years the general sale started early February.

Oh right, could I get the tickets in the presale, or is that just for people who've had tickets for the cancelled years? 

54 minutes ago, ourkid1984 said:

Oh right, could I get the tickets in the presale, or is that just for people who've had tickets for the cancelled years? 

Just for them. But there might be people getting those presale tickets and putting them on ticketswap, since they can't go themselves. 

• Upvote 1