BD 2021 Reviews

blutarsky

On 8/24/2021 at 1:38 PM, ChemicalBrother said:

I’m just going to add to your confusion I’m afraid!

I got there early and Shades of Rhythm were supposedly on. Got chatting to a couple who were there for SoR, but were leaving as whoever was on stage wasn’t even playing any SoR songs. 
I convinced them to stay for Altern8, as when I saw them back in the 90’s they put on a great show - but after 10mins I was in the exact same situation as they had been, no Altern8 songs & not even sure the bloke on stage was anything to do with Altern8.

Could be me being naive, could be me missing announcements, could be me being worse for wear at midnight at a festival - but I walked off & apologised to the SoR couple. 

I'll add even further to it, someone commented on my video that they were lighting guy for the tent (could be a lie but I duno why they would comment that out of the blue and make it up) and I asked about Altern8 and they said they were indeed on 00:00 - 01:00. To my eyes it was just a guy djing which is not the usual Altern8 show I've seen in the past few years, 2 guys in hazmat suits and at least an MC on there with them is what I remember.

On 8/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

I'll add even further to it, someone commented on my video that they were lighting guy for the tent (could be a lie but I duno why they would comment that out of the blue and make it up) and I asked about Altern8 and they said they were indeed on 00:00 - 01:00. To my eyes it was just a guy djing which is not the usual Altern8 show I've seen in the past few years, 2 guys in hazmat suits and at least an MC on there with them is what I remember.

Yes that’s what I saw back in the 90’s too.
My impression was that it was a DJ set rather than a live performance - just normally it’s advertised as ‘(DJ set)’ 

On 8/29/2021 at 2:28 AM, WS_Jack_III said:

I was stood fairly close to the front and it was Mark Archer from Altern-8 DJing.

On 8/31/2021 at 8:23 AM, gooner1990 said:

I was stood fairly close to the front and it was Mark Archer from Altern-8 DJing.

There we go then, that explains it. I did wonder but as mentioned earlier, why was it not advertised as such?

I was way back in the tent and a little drunk so didn't quite know.

58 minutes ago, WS_Jack_III said:

There we go then, that explains it. I did wonder but as mentioned earlier, why was it not advertised as such?

I was way back in the tent and a little drunk so didn't quite know.

Yeh, you would have thought it should have been 'Mark Archer from Altern-8 DJ set' or something similar.

Slightly misleading, and perhaps it wasn't the intention....but who knows.

I really enjoyed Beautiful Days this year. I had never been before but so much better than the awful arena festivals and a comparable vibe to Glasto, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Some great bands and great ciders, shame the ciders were running a bit short come Sunday. The Devon Mist was exceptional.

I am seeing Henge and Skindred at Cambridge Junction over the next couple of weeks as a result of seeing them at Beautiful Days.

Like some others have alluded to, The Levellers seemed to me a bit lacklustre. However, I'm seeing them another three times this year so plenty of opportunities to atone! 

1 hour ago, chris_nre said:

I really enjoyed Beautiful Days this year. I had never been before but so much better than the awful arena festivals and a comparable vibe to Glasto, albeit on a much smaller scale.

Some great bands and great ciders, shame the ciders were running a bit short come Sunday. The Devon Mist was exceptional.

I am seeing Henge and Skindred at Cambridge Junction over the next couple of weeks as a result of seeing them at Beautiful Days.

Like some others have alluded to, The Levellers seemed to me a bit lacklustre. However, I'm seeing them another three times this year so plenty of opportunities to atone! 

I’m off to see Henge in Exeter off the back of Beautiful Days too, loved them!

18 hours ago, chris_nre said:

Did a bit of checking, turns out that Simon has continued to stay at his place up in Scotland during the pandemic, hence not playing live. For me that did take an edge off the performance as his vocals just add some oomph, not to mention stuff like Beanfield and Boatman.

Seeing them in Nov, I'm hoping he'll be on board by then as I really want to hear some of the tracks off the new album where he had the vocal lead.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:19 AM, not worthy said:

It was really great to meet you and several other efestivals folk. Any sign of the lurker we were trying to encourage to post yet?

On 9/3/2021 at 10:19 AM, crazyfool1 said:

Unfortunately not as yet … Anne it’s surely time 🙂 

Helloooo, *waves*.

Sorry, I did sign up when I got back but couldn't work out how to post the pics so I gave up.  Then I got side tracked with Reading fest.  Pretty poor show, I know.  

It was really great to meet some of you at the BDs meet, first time I have delurked to say hello, but have followed the forum for some time.  It was totally a chance meeting and was due to recognizing Crazyfool and his hat from this forum - he is an efest ambassador!  I bumped into Crazyfool again at Little Big Top on the Sunday, and also not worthy.  

I am already planning and looking forward to a run of festivals next summer, so hoping to put more faces to names in the future xx

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Amani said:

Helloooo, *waves*.

Sorry, I did sign up when I got back but couldn't work out how to post the pics so I gave up.  Then I got side tracked with Reading fest.  Pretty poor show, I know.  

It was really great to meet some of you at the BDs meet, first time I have delurked to say hello, but have followed the forum for some time.  It was totally a chance meeting and was due to recognizing Crazyfool and his hat from this forum - he is an efest ambassador!  I bumped into Crazyfool again at Little Big Top on the Sunday, and also not worthy.  

I am already planning and looking forward to a run of festivals next summer, so hoping to put more faces to names in the future xx

Ha ha welcome and congratulations on the first post of hopefully many more … to add photos you just click the add files link and should just be able to select the photo … once it loads you just click submit … I’m sure I’ll catch you at some point in the future 🙂 

On 9/9/2021 at 5:04 PM, Skelts said:

I’m off to see Henge in Exeter off the back of Beautiful Days too, loved them!

I guarantee it will be better as well at a venue and with a longer window for the set. Zpor usually comes out right into the crowd and leads a procession at the end too. Got to meet and speak with him at a gig once and asked him where his staff came from....

8 hours ago, Quark said:

Did a bit of checking, turns out that Simon has continued to stay at his place up in Scotland during the pandemic, hence not playing live. For me that did take an edge off the performance as his vocals just add some oomph, not to mention stuff like Beanfield and Boatman.

Seeing them in Nov, I'm hoping he'll be on board by then as I really want to hear some of the tracks off the new album where he had the vocal lead.

Is he refusing to vaccinate or something?