2021 Secret Sets

Tessie

9 minutes ago, tjrant said:

Other than the year Ezra Furman played about three (?) secret shows (the covers one was best); I'd say either Warmduscher in 2018 (I missed Black Midi) or Scalping last time out.

That Thursday night Ezra Furman covers set in the Tipi was so good. Enjoyed it enormously. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

My favourite secret set over the past few years was DUDS back in 2018. 

I was thinking about this band the other day...I saw them a few times around 2018 and then I think they just disappeared, I certainly haven't seen anything from them since.

Shame as they were quite good.

1 minute ago, Sean1234321 said:

I was thinking about this band the other day...I saw them a few times around 2018 and then I think they just disappeared, I certainly haven't seen anything from them since.

Shame as they were quite good.

They went on to start different bands, the most notable of which was Handle. 

Yeah they were good, I saw them at Patterns in Brighton just after EOTR 2018. Squid were the support act. 

• Like 1

My fave secret act was the Futureheads doing their acapella stuff, way back (2012 I think). If I remember correctly it was actually late Thursday night before Thursday acts were "official". Stumbled across it in the Tipi just after the rest of my gang had headed back to the tent (you snooze you lose 😉).  They have a connection with Field Music I think so here's hoping...

Edited by Drutt
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, riverlodge said:

My favourite set (said btw as a huuuge Ezra fan) was the Felice Brothers in the 'old' tip tent and no entry controls (about 2009?).

Whiskey in my whiskey was the perfect 2am lyric.

I remember it well. Excellent!

The old tipi was a pain in the arse though. If there were more than 100 people in there, you couldn't see a thing - always pillars blocking your view.

Admittedly it looked great, but it wouldn't be able to cope with the numbers now.

I was front row for that Felice Brothers gig, which was superb. My absolute favourite was one of the early years, when members of “Sea Power” joined with some of The Young Republic to do a very drunken set of Jonathan Richman covers. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Mardy said:

Just been reminded of the Jeffrey Lewis late night set in the Tipi. Superb. Drunk and singing 'Roll Bus Roll'. 

How could I have forgotten that one! I think it may beat the Futureheads into second place, as was down the front and got a signed CD at the end 🙂 Also 2012 I think, vintage year...

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, staffop said:

Also loved Ezra, Brakes and Felice in Tipi after hours - don't forget SnakeWagon though, shambolic and raucous in the best way!

That was my first year. I asked The Low Anthem if they were doing any surprise sets and they kept banging on about Snake Wagon, but I was oblivious to what they were getting at so eventually they just told me.

Being down the front for the Felice Brothers at the Tipi was also an all time festival highlight.

5 hours ago, paulwa said:

My absolute favourite was one of the early years, when members of “Sea Power” joined with some of The Young Republic to do a very drunken set of Jonathan Richman covers. 

Yeah that was great fun. IIRC that was the year Eamon from Brakes got married. I remember one of them on stage shouting "has anyone seen Eamon? He's supposed to be getting married tomorrow and he's gone missing!"

Then, when Brakes played on the Sunday night, he brought his new wife onstage to sing 'Jackson' - one of my favourite EOTR moments.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:08 PM, Punksnotdead said:

Yeah that was great fun. IIRC that was the year Eamon from Brakes got married. I remember one of them on stage shouting "has anyone seen Eamon? He's supposed to be getting married tomorrow and he's gone missing!"

Then, when Brakes played on the Sunday night, he brought his new wife onstage to sing 'Jackson' - one of my favourite EOTR moments.

Loved that set, didn't realise they'd just got married 🙂