2021 Secret Sets

Tessie

The majority of secret sets are bands who have are already playing at the festival. There's generally the odd one who isn't - but unlikely to be anything that high profile.

(Though covid might of course change things further this year - chances are there will be more drop-outs and replacements on the main bill yet too.)

50 minutes ago, Yoss said:

The majority of secret sets are bands who have are already playing at the festival. There's generally the odd one who isn't - but unlikely to be anything that high profile.

(Though covid might of course change things further this year - chances are there will be more drop-outs and replacements on the main bill yet too.)

This is my thinking too. If they have replacements lined up, presumably they'll be on-site or close by. If there are no drop outs, maybe they'll ask them to do late night / secret sets instead?

Like you say though, it's not going to be anyone high profile.

7 minutes ago, ericfruck said:

Lump have a bit of a gap in their schedule but that might be wishful thinking

Without too much of a detour to get there too...although it would mean five nights on the trot.  You never know though - Laura Marling did an additional solo secret set at Green Man.

Re The Murder Capital (like Self Esteem) they are doing London Friday and Warrington Saturday, so it would be a hike back down just for a secret set (as an official replacement might have been a different matter - I was convinced Self Esteem would come off the subs bench when they did last week's replacements).

• Upvote 1

Where's this assumption about secret big names come from? Unless there's a "special guest" listed in the stage times they'll be piano and late night Tipi second sets by some who are already playing, as they usually are. (Bill Ryder-Jones turned up on the piano in 2019 but that was unusual - Black Midi hadn't released anything when they played the Tipi)

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, SweepingTheNation said:

Where's this assumption about secret big names come from? Unless there's a "special guest" listed in the stage times they'll be piano and late night Tipi second sets by some who are already playing, as they usually are. (Bill Ryder-Jones turned up on the piano in 2019 but that was unusual - Black Midi hadn't released anything when they played the Tipi)

Yeah, no mention of a TBC anywhere official. Presume it’s people assuming there’s a Woods slot on the Friday, but that’s more likely to be leaving space for a full Damon Albarn set.

Genuine secret surprise guests are few and far between. And it wouldn’t normally make sense for it to be anyone big.

Of course, it’s hardly a normal year, and it’s unusual for them still to have tickets left on sale this late.

22 hours ago, Guy Incognito said:

Don't think we should be getting our hopes up too much but we'll see. 

In past years Big Jeff has known all the secret tipi sets in advance so it's always worth asking him if you see him

Big Jeff didn’t know about Black Midi. One of the lads from Squid told me and I told Jeff, who then retold me a couple of hours later 🤣

My suggestions in the main thread from a week or two back were: Wet Leg, Soccer96, Do Nothing and Martha Skye Murphy for acts which aren't on the bill. Soccer96 have now indeed been added to the Tipi late in an evening, so won't be a surprise.

I'm going to add The Cool Greenhouse, Prima Queen, VLURE and Home Counties to that now as further possibilities.

Of those already on the bill, PVA are very likely in my opinion. I can also see Melin Melyn going down a storm too. Modern Woman and The Golden Dregs are on EotR Records so that may be a pointer, but neither strike me as 'exciting' enough for that slot.

Edited by JHad

12 hours ago, SighMo said:

Big Jeff didn’t know about Black Midi. One of the lads from Squid told me and I told Jeff, who then retold me a couple of hours later 🤣

So he did know. That's how it works. People tell Jeff what they know and he shares it. 

• Like 1

Going to bid for Lazarus Kane. A nuts band that are an awful lot of fun.

At GM Katy J joined them on stage for a song (and Lazarus himself joined Golden Dregs for their set), and I could see some combination of a bit of a Speedy Wunderground 'supergroup' thing going on - Squid / Lazarus / Black Midi etc.

5 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Lynks is a good shout. Reckon Dry Cleaning might be a bit too big. 

My favourite secret set over the past few years was DUDS back in 2018. 

Other than the year Ezra Furman played about three (?) secret shows (the covers one was best); I'd say either Warmduscher in 2018 (I missed Black Midi) or Scalping last time out.