Toilets

Spiff

aye  fair play to them for getting any kinda show on the road ... toilets weren't the best but we survived it and im sure anyone thats done Glastonbury a few years back has seen far far worse ..... I was amazed at the lack of urinals on site though ... is that usual  or just because of the same issues ? 

44 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

aye  fair play to them for getting any kinda show on the road ... toilets weren't the best but we survived it and im sure anyone thats done Glastonbury a few years back has seen far far worse ..... I was amazed at the lack of urinals on site though ... is that usual  or just because of the same issues ? 

Same issues, normally there are more and unlike the ones at the bottom of the camping field they get empties so do not overflow under the portaloos......................... lots of walking in manpiss going on there

6 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

One of my friends knows the organisers and apparently they got let down on the usual toilets and basically had to scrabble for what they could at the last minute. 

my friend has been going for years and says usually the toilets are a lot better. 

So worth very much crediting them for giving the facilities they did with 18,000 people in attendance … that’s a pretty good achievement I’d say 

It was so, so, so amazing to be back in a field enjoying festival life again. 

The toilets can’t be called anything other than terrible because they really were disgusting to the point of unhygienic, but it didn’t have an impact on the enjoyment for me and if they had the issues that are being reported then top marks to them for getting anything at all. 

Huge love to everyone for making it possible for me to have a weekend that felt normal. I needed it and I feel so much better. 

There’s got to be a better design for portaloos, surely? 
I lucked out one morning and was at the front of the queue when the cleaning crew arrived, so I got first use. 

*unpleasant toilet detail alert* 

However, I immediately blocked the toilet as my shit literally landed on the bowl and stayed there. I had to poke it down with loo roll to avoid leaving it blocked. Any toilet that blocks on first use is clearly suffering a design flaw. 

40 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

There’s got to be a better design for portaloos, surely? 
I lucked out one morning and was at the front of the queue when the cleaning crew arrived, so I got first use. 

*unpleasant toilet detail alert* 

However, I immediately blocked the toilet as my shit literally landed on the bowl and stayed there. I had to poke it down with loo roll to avoid leaving it blocked. Any toilet that blocks on first use is clearly suffering a design flaw. 

For all different portaloo designs the user has to 'flush' before and after. The before adds lubrication so the deposit is able to slide down out of sight.

From chats whilst in queues most people have no idea of this.

37 minutes ago, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Are there really people that go into a festival toilet expecting to find toilet roll is provided?  Surely it’s not something anyone should be relying on…

Agreed. I was really confused that so many ppl seemed mad about this. I’ve never heard so many ppl moan about it before.

I know it’s been two years but have people really forgotten this basic festival rule? 

6 hours ago, Nobody Interesting said:

For all different portaloo designs the user has to 'flush' before and after. The before adds lubrication so the deposit is able to slide down out of sight.

From chats whilst in queues most people have no idea of this.

Some of them didn't have a 'flush' handle at all...

10 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As you entered the loo, on the floor bottom right is a foot flush. Foot flushes are used in more designs than hand flushes.

All of them had one or the other.

Heh, didn't see that - I think they were hidden under the piles of mud, cans, wipes and other 'debris'....

45 minutes ago, Nobody Interesting said:

As you entered the loo, on the floor bottom right is a foot flush. Foot flushes are used in more designs than hand flushes.

All of them had one or the other.

This was the case, however, I found quite a few where the foot flush simply didn't work. I know most designs recycle liquid from the lower storage (tried no to be graphic) 

Part of the problem with loos at festivals is half of them are unoccupied but people in queue are waiting for somebody to come out, particularly at night, and particularly with the ones there this year where the 'red/green' thing was missing on most of them

I had an idea that they should have a little flag at the top that drops down when you lock it...if you see a flag you know its empty. 

18 minutes ago, Flaminglippy said:

Part of the problem with loos at festivals is half of them are unoccupied but people in queue are waiting for somebody to come out, particularly at night, and particularly with the ones there this year where the 'red/green' thing was missing on most of them

I had an idea that they should have a little flag at the top that drops down when you lock it...if you see a flag you know its empty. 

That's true, but many loos were unuseable and so the queue was often waithing for someone to come out so at least you knew it was in some sort of reasonable state. Like the flag idea though.

Toilets were very bad at times, but that was the only negative of an otherwise great festival.

1 hour ago, elias said:

That's true, but many loos were unuseable and so the queue was often waithing for someone to come out so at least you knew it was in some sort of reasonable state. Like the flag idea though.

Toilets were very bad at times, but that was the only negative of an otherwise great festival.

Yeah...been doing festivals for 30 years and they are probably in the 5 worst! 

Apparently loads are at covid test sites so there are fewer available for festivals, but that doesn't explain the lack of cleanliness....if anything having fewer to service they should be cleaned more often. 

13 hours ago, themuel said:

Agreed. I was really confused that so many ppl seemed mad about this. I’ve never heard so many ppl moan about it before.

I know it’s been two years but have people really forgotten this basic festival rule? 

To be fair Beautiful Days has had the most incredibly spotless and well resourced loos for so many years that the regulars do absolutely expect there to be loo paper. I think people’s anger and disappointment was worse because it was so out of character for this festival, but for me that was why they deserved a bit of leeway instead of people immediately calling them rip off merchants for not having this sorted in this difficult year. This isn’t a festival that stops caring as soon as you’ve paid for your ticket, they really try to give people a good experience and will be sorry that people struggled with this, especially with so many young families.

I also find this odd as I don’t only carry loo paper (well - pocket tissues) at festivals, but on nights out to pubs, and even out shopping. In my experience you can’t rely on loos anywhere to have clean seats or toilet roll & it’s a pretty basic precaution imv.

• Upvote 3

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/24/2021 at 12:12 AM, Fishinginthelongdrops said:

Are there really people that go into a festival toilet expecting to find toilet roll is provided?  Surely it’s not something anyone should be relying on…

No, not all of them. I prefer to go to the toilet at home. I don't like those public toilets. And after your topic I don't want to go there at all😁

On 8/24/2021 at 2:24 PM, amfy said:

To be fair Beautiful Days has had the most incredibly spotless and well resourced loos for so many years that the regulars do absolutely expect there to be loo paper. I think people’s anger and disappointment was worse because it was so out of character for this festival, but for me that was why they deserved a bit of leeway instead of people immediately calling them rip off merchants for not having this sorted in this difficult year. This isn’t a festival that stops caring as soon as you’ve paid for your ticket, they really try to give people a good experience and will be sorry that people struggled with this, especially with so many young families.

I also find this odd as I don’t only carry loo paper (well - pocket tissues) at festivals, but on nights out to pubs, and even out shopping. In my experience you can’t rely on loos anywhere to have clean seats or toilet roll & it’s a pretty basic precaution imv.

I'm thinking, why is that? Why can't people be taught to clean up after themselves in the bathroom? For example, just hang up a notice? After all, people litter themselves and do not want to clean up after themselves. Why does the cleaning lady have to do all this? 

Edited by FredLul

15 hours ago, FredLul said:

I'm thinking, why is that? Why can't people be taught to clean up after themselves in the bathroom? For example, just hang up a notice? After all, people litter themselves and do not want to clean up after themselves. Why does the cleaning lady have to do all this? 

I got into a lot of trouble online for suggesting that a lot of the problem was people not flushing, but it was. I noticed, not only at BD but at other festivals this year, that there is nothing to tell people that the loos flush. A handle is a good clue, but lots have a concealed foot pedal & people literally don’t know they are flushable! I honestly believe lots of portaloos would be loads better if there was a simple set of instructions on flushing!