AA / NA at EOTR?

Lucanesque

How were your sober experiences? 

I actually had to drop out of the festival for a personal reason which was disappointing, although it did mean I could attend Wide Awake on the Friday so wasn't a complete loss. 

So having attended a number of gigs and festivals sober now, I love things like not spending a small fortune on alcohol (£6.50 a pint in some places now!) and not spending half the day queuing for that privilege as well. I also like not having to go to the toilet after every band I see...basically my time is now primarily based around the music, whereas before it was based around drinking (although don't get me wrong, it was still massively about the music too). 

I will say one thing though...it is certainly a lot more noticeable now annoying drunk people are when you're sober. Not criticising one bit though as I've had almost 20 years of being like that myself. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

My AF festival was fine - but I’m in a great AF place at the moment. What helps is having understanding drinkers around you that don’t mind including a soft drink in their round.

I also bought plenty of pints for others. Pity there is far less soft choices at the bars. For kids and AF adults.

One thing I noticed is that I felt far less conspicuous asking for a soft drink on Sunday when there are loads of people getting sober for driving home duties. 

I had a couple of pints when I set up the tent and that was it.

As a regular pubgoer most nights (never at home) I thought I'd give my liver a 4 day rest and can understand @Sean1234321 point about the benefits of a clear head and less need for toilet stops ! I felt as good as I've ever felt all weekend.

And then my mate Tim texted me at the end of Richard Dawson "fancy a pint" and it went a tiny bit to pot in the Tipi. I've never been up that late in my 56 years, oddly.

But yes, not EVERYONE got plastered. The amount of smoking is actually much more striking to me.

On 9/6/2021 at 3:14 PM, Sean1234321 said:

How were your sober experiences? 

I actually had to drop out of the festival for a personal reason which was disappointing, although it did mean I could attend Wide Awake on the Friday so wasn't a complete loss. 

So having attended a number of gigs and festivals sober now, I love things like not spending a small fortune on alcohol (£6.50 a pint in some places now!) and not spending half the day queuing for that privilege as well. I also like not having to go to the toilet after every band I see...basically my time is now primarily based around the music, whereas before it was based around drinking (although don't get me wrong, it was still massively about the music too). 

I will say one thing though...it is certainly a lot more noticeable now annoying drunk people are when you're sober. Not criticising one bit though as I've had almost 20 years of being like that myself. 

Sorry to hear that you couldn't go but at least your weekend wasn't a complete write-off.

Completely appreciate all those points, went to a gig on Thursday night (Sea Power) and it was so nice not to be doing the bar - stage - toilet circuit!!

My festival turned out to be great. Lucky to have a very supportive group of mates who both joined me in the odd AF drink and knew it was a little bit of an anxious time for me. But, blimey, could they repeat themselves when they were drunk 🤣

Being sober changed what I did a bit... didn't fancy being right at the front / centre surrounded by drunk people barging through, or getting beer over me, so tended to stay towards the back of the crowd and just took it in / focussed on the music.

Already booked tickets for next year!

On 9/7/2021 at 11:51 AM, ian the worm said:

Pity there is far less soft choices at the bars. For kids and AF adults.

I found very little grown up AF stuff other than the mocktail at the cider bus. Expect this will change in the future with more and more youngsters not drinking nowadays.