AA / NA at EOTR?

Lucanesque

This is probably going to sound like a really weird request, but wondered if anyone knows if there's any kind of AA/NA presence at EOTR as I know there is at some other fests?

Last few years I've been a (sometimes barely) functioning alcoholic, festivals have always been one of the few times I could get pretty wasted for several days at a time and daytime drink without anyone judging me 😁 

Won't bore you with the details, but now I'm a recovering alcoholic attending AA meetings and have been sober for 7 months. EOTR is going to be my first ever sober festival 🥳I'm not too worried about it (OK, slight lie), and I've got the best mates in the world who I'm coming with that all know the score so I've a bit of support there, but I don't want to be a downer for my mates either so having somewhere I can go for a nice cup of tea (living the dream etc) and get away from any boozey temptation for a bit would be welcome.

Failing that, on the off chance that someone else in recovery reads this and is going then feel free to DM.

• Upvote 3

Congratulations on the 7 months sober!!!!

Whilst I have no knowledge of people being totally abstinent, EOTR has quite a few families and younger attendees during the day and so there's plenty of nice places to get tea, coffee etc. In addition to this parts of the woods have a very relaxed atmosphere and would offer a good break from the more booze heavy parts of the site. 

The nights do tend to be quite a boozy affair, I tend to notice that people get quite loose (especially at the late night tipi sets) but it's nowhere near on the level of Glastonbury, Boomtown etc. 

I don't know of specific NA/AA presence at the site but am certain there are people there who also don't drink. Sorry I can't offer more specificity or detail but it's one of the festival's I'd feel most comfortable doing sober. 

HI,  I've been sober for 6 years and this will be something like my 12th sober festival.  It will be OK for you.  There are plenty of us around, but we tend to not be noticed.  I've never been to EOTR so I can't answer your AA/NA/12 steps question.  Well done on 7 months, thats cracking. xx

One of the years I attended I was in the midst of a period of very poor mental health and so needed time to myself occasionally away from the slightly more hedonistic side of things. I used to walk around the woods late at night, looking at the art instillations and hanging around the piano stage chatting to strangers. I found that to be a really relaxing break and opportunity to speak to more relaxed (and in some cases I assume sober) people.

Wow! Thank you all for your replies, and the encouragement 🤗

37 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

Congratulations on the 7 months sober!!!!

<snip>

the woods have a very relaxed atmosphere and would offer a good break from the more booze heavy parts of the site.

<snip>

Sorry I can't offer more specificity or detail but it's one of the festival's I'd feel most comfortable doing sober. 

<snip>

I used to walk around the woods late at night, looking at the art instillations and hanging around the piano stage chatting to strangers. I found that to be a really relaxing break and opportunity to speak to more relaxed (and in some cases I assume sober) people

Thank you Guy! When you're really familiar with a festival you understand the vibe, so reading you'd be comfortable doing this sober is reassuring.

32 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

I've been sober for 6 years and this will be something like my 12th sober festival.  It will be OK for you.  There are plenty of us around, but we tend to not be noticed.  Well done on 7 months, thats cracking. xx

12 minutes ago, wolfamongwolves said:

Congratulations on your sobriety 🙏🏼

I've been sober at festivals for 10 years. Personally I love it . You dont miss a thing,  remember it all, wake up feeling fresh

Thanks Ian & Wolf, hearing from long term sober people is encouraging. I went to my first sober gig on Tuesday, it's a brand new experience remembering it all clearly now on Friday, I expect experiencing EOTR sober is going to be mind-blowing!

36 minutes ago, shoebox said:

Oh and yes, congrats on your sobriety. 

Thanks Shoebox!!

Thanks to you all - it's a proper boost to know there are others that get the anxiety around this

Bedtime is quite tricky as I used to drink till I passed out.  Now, I'm absolutely physically exhausted - yet awake all night on adrenalin so I advise you look out for this and bring whatever you think you may need to help you get off.

Also, I'm an absolute idiot sometimes as I've wanted a "BUZZ" after dark so thinking a double espresso is a good idea IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!.

• Upvote 1

No idea. Never seen any AA presence, but then I wouldn't look or notice.

All I would say, if it's of any help, is that there's a sort of hippy vegan cafe place in the woods at the far side of the Garden stage which is a good place to chill out and feels well away from the bars and the booze. I usually go there for my cups of tea on Sunday afternoon once I've stopped drinking in preparation for the drive home.

10 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

Bedtime is quite tricky as I used to drink till I passed out.  Now, I'm absolutely physically exhausted - yet awake all night on adrenalin so I advise you look out for this and bring whatever you think you may need to help you get off.

Also, I'm an absolute idiot sometimes as I've wanted a "BUZZ" after dark so thinking a double espresso is a good idea IS NOT A GOOD IDEA!!!.

LOL can relate. I went to my first sober gig this week - Fontaines D.C. - not sure if it was the emotion/adrenalin of actually being at a gig again, or experiencing it sober (and watching people absolutely out of it and cringing at that being me previously), but I was knackered/WIRED (without coffee!).

Good point though - I'll bring mint tea and a book for late night wind down 👍

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Yoss said:

All I would say, if it's of any help, is that there's a sort of hippy vegan cafe place in the woods at the far side of the Garden stage which is a good place to chill out and feels well away from the bars and the booze.

That is a help - thanks 🤗

19 hours ago, Sean1234321 said:

Will be my first sober multi-day festival too; 15 months sober here.

Really looking forward to the experience. Would be up for a coffee at the festival if you're interested 😊

Congrats on 15 months!!

Would definitely be up for a coffee - I'll DM you 👌

• Like 1

I've got nothing to add mate, except to say I fully support you, and am entirely behind you and all strength to you. We've chatted occasionally on Twitter over the years (@pwwebb) and if I can be of any support, always there for you.

• Like 1

Nothing to add that will help, know nothing about EOTR and am not going, but reading this thread makes you realise what a great community this is and how good people can be to each other. Well done everyone! The power of music to bring people together… 

• Like 1

As everyone has said, well done on the sobriety mate, it's a great achievement.

Might be a bit extreme, but on my one interaction with the first aid and welfare team they were so friendly, kind and non judgemental, that popping to the welfare tent if it really gets too much isn't the worst idea. I'm very sure they'd give you a seat, have a chat and a cup of tea.

Less full on, but once you head to healing gardens beyond the garden stage, and the creative area around the talking head stage there are no bars at all, plus with stuff to do. Could be a nice relaxation point - I've used the talking heads stage as a distraction before when i've been feeling a bit worse for wear

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lucanesque said:

Thanks Rob!

That's a great tip around the Talking Head / Healing Gardens areas, thanks. And a good point about welfare too, hopefully I won't need them, but it's good to know they're there.

No worries man, I hope you have a great time

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This will be my first sober festival, 14 months no alcohol. I've been to a couple of gigs already but this will be a test. My husband still drinks but drinks a lot less no I'm not drinking. Staying awake past 9pm will be my biggest challenge, I'm normally in bed asleep by then. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, CaraEH said:

This will be my first sober festival, 14 months no alcohol. I've been to a couple of gigs already but this will be a test. My husband still drinks but drinks a lot less no I'm not drinking. Staying awake past 9pm will be my biggest challenge, I'm normally in bed asleep by then. 

14 months is fantastic, congratulations!

I know exactly what you mean about staying awake, I don't know if it's pandemic or sobriety related but I'm in bed by 10 most nights now 💤 went to a gig on Monday night that finished at 11 and I was wiped out yesterday 🤦‍♂️😁

If you need a chat whilst you're there with someone else going through the test then I'm available for a cuppa 👍

15 hours ago, CaraEH said:

One thing that took me aback at EOTR was the abundance of really decent NA hot drinks. Loads of coffee stands that had Allpress beans (not my personal fave, but compared to most fest? forget about it) and good tea options. Green tea wires more than any other simulant so could be a good idea to keep you pluging!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello! 
I’m totally on the same page, my sober friend! EOTR will be my first sober festival and I’m also in recovery. 2 and a half years but feeling like an absolute beginner when I think about the prospect of a festival without the usual paraphernalia! But we have all the tools and I’m sure it’s going to be the best festival yet. Let me know if you fancy meeting up and have a cuppa / impromptu little AA mtg! 
V

• Like 2