Latitude 2022

Chapple12345

1 minute ago, stereodista said:

Mainstream maybe, but I don’t think booking Wolf Alice for their first (but almost certainly not last) UK headliner is all that ‘safe’ personally. Latitude has a good history of promoting UK bands to the top of the bill, and that should be as important as natural top-liners moving forward imho. 

I agree, they should be promoting some UK bands to the top of the lineup, and Wolf Alice are a better choice than Fleet Foxes or Solange. They need to get a good mix, it should be something like:

Friday: A new headliner, touring a recently released album that's had positive reception.

Saturday: Biggest of the three headliners, that's got wide appeal, and has some well-known songs that a lot of people will know.

Sunday: A bit of a wildcard, big within their own circles, but one that a lot of the Latitude demographic wouldn't really know.

I think that covers a lot of bases, gives people a bit of variety, and would probably sell a decent amount of day tickets as well.

25 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I agree, they should be promoting some UK bands to the top of the lineup, and Wolf Alice are a better choice than Fleet Foxes or Solange. They need to get a good mix, it should be something like:

Friday: A new headliner, touring a recently released album that's had positive reception.

Saturday: Biggest of the three headliners, that's got wide appeal, and has some well-known songs that a lot of people will know.

Sunday: A bit of a wildcard, big within their own circles, but one that a lot of the Latitude demographic wouldn't really know.

I think that covers a lot of bases, gives people a bit of variety, and would probably sell a decent amount of day tickets as well.

Agreed. Definitely two underwhelming headliners this year aimed much too much at the one same market. 

Having waxed lyrical about the smaller bands playing the ones I am looking forward to most are really obvious 

1. Phoebe Bridgers

2. Little Simz

3. Self Esteem

But I've seen them all before and so I know what I'm getting. For people I haven't seen before my top 3 most anticipated are...

1. Bartees Strange

2.Crack cloud

3.Nilufer Yanya

Edited by glimmers_of_hope

55 minutes ago, stereodista said:

Agreed. Definitely two underwhelming headliners this year aimed much too much at the one same market. 

I agree that snow patrol and Lewis capaldi are underwhelming but I think they do appeal to different audiences,  although broadly both are definitely bbc radio 2 territory.

I think a lot of younger people will be into lewis capaldi whereas snow patrol is definately for the 40+ crowd. A lot of youngsters weren't even born when snow patrol had their big singles and although chasing cars still gets played I don't see them as an evergreen band that keeps attracting new fans. 

1 hour ago, Miyn said:

I agree. I miss the years when it would be 3 critically acclaimed "muso" bands but it's moved on from that in order to get bigger,  and probably because APE hoover up a lot of acts which would have been "classic" latitude bands.

Would love to see latitude take more risks, little simz as a headliner rather than snow patrol would scan a lot better. 

Saw Simbi headline West Holts few weeks back, she was fucking ace - but I’ll caveat that with it was my birthday and I was off my trolley by then. - definitely more deserving than snow patrol

Self Esteem is also incredible

Edited by mjfiddy
  • Upvote 1

On 7/7/2022 at 1:00 PM, glimmers_of_hope said:

I know a few people have expressed some dissatisfaction with the music lineup this year. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that it is a really excellent lineup. I think the caveat is, you have to embrace stuff you might not have heard of before and new music. 

That is to say, what it lacks in "big familiar names" it more than makes up for with smaller, newer and weirder acts. You just have to dig in a bit to find them. 

I know I've already waxed poetic about bartees strange who I knew previously, but in doing "homework" on other acts playing on smaller stages I've found loads of stuff I had never heard of before. 

Some examples. 

Wilsen - remind me of big thief

Cavetown - remind me of elliott Smith

Priestgate- remind me of the cure

Cassia - remind me of vampire weekend

Gaffa tape sandy - remind me of johnny foriegner,  or early los campesinos 

Loving crack cloud, naima block, Caroline, courting, Morgan harper- Jones. 

I've also given porridge radio more of a listen having not really given them enough time previously. 

And that is before the people I previously knew about and was looking forward too.

Really looking forward to this year. Now just hoping for nice weather. 

Love this - definitely the right way of looking at it, and I often end up discovering amazing new music in BBC Introducing or elsewhere when the main acts don't interest me.

I  think for me the issue is less the quality of music (discovery) in itself, and more the cost - compared to Glastonbury or wherever - relative to how well known the bands are and therefore how much you'd pay for a gig (plus the site is open for less time).

But all about the discovery - I'll check out your recommendations in the next week.

1 hour ago, mobfant said:

Love this - definitely the right way of looking at it, and I often end up discovering amazing new music in BBC Introducing or elsewhere when the main acts don't interest me.

I  think for me the issue is less the quality of music (discovery) in itself, and more the cost - compared to Glastonbury or wherever - relative to how well known the bands are and therefore how much you'd pay for a gig (plus the site is open for less time).

But all about the discovery - I'll check out your recommendations in the next week.

Yeah you are right, it is an expensive weekend doesn't cost much less than glasto and they have much, much bigger acts. I'd love to know how the economics of the festivals work. I guess glasto must be able to charge the traders a lot more as the capacity is so large + there are a lot of traders. 

On 7/3/2022 at 10:34 PM, Miyn said:

I'm pretty sure it'll be announced 10th July, which is next Sunday. When Latitude announced the BBC Introducing Stage this year, they said "Full line-up announced 10th July". I don't think it's referring to the full BBC Introducing line-up, as the video shows 18 acts, which is the same amount they had last year. So I think it's a safe bet for the full line-up to come next Sunday.

The acts announced for BBC Introducing are:

Aine Deane, Conrad, Deep Tan, Eden Lole, George O'Hanlon, Girls of the Internet, House of EL, Kessler, Lilo, Lizzie Reid, Maddie Ashman, Oscar Welsh, Phoebe Hall, Reuben James, Saint Joshua, Sipho., Vanives, Winnie Ama

With Kessler, Girls Of The Internet and Winnie Ama presumably on last each day as that's who they've promoted in the two tweets:

I'm only really familiar with Deep Tan due to their Speedy Wunderground single, so if anyone has any recommendations from those acts, let me know!

@MiynDo you reckon the rest of the lineup will drop this afternoon?

1 minute ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

@MiynDo you reckon the rest of the lineup will drop this afternoon?

I hope so! But I'm not sure. They've gone quiet, and if they were going to make an announcement I'd expect them to talk about the date more than they have. The 10th of July has just been mentioned in a couple of tweets last month, but nothing in the last two weeks which is a bit odd.

I'm also not convinced they've got much more to announce, and it's interesting that they've got no real "Special Guests" slots. They had about 4 last year, with Supergrass, Rudimental, Damon Albarn and Bombay Bicycle Club. A lot of the time they're just glorified slots, but it's interesting that they've not tried to sell or book any as special guests.

I'm hoping that they've still got a few more music names to announce, or at least a secret set somewhere. A while ago they mentioned a few secret gigs taking place in the Trailer Park after the headliners, will be interesting to see how they pan out.

I'm on Latitude's mailing list, and I got an email saying the full lineup was here, without really announcing much. If you're on the mailing list, what did you think of this email? I looked on the website and the line-up hadn't changed at all, and there wasn't anything new in the news section of the website. I'd presume they'd at least update one of the two if that was going to be the full lineup.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I hope so! But I'm not sure. They've gone quiet, and if they were going to make an announcement I'd expect them to talk about the date more than they have. The 10th of July has just been mentioned in a couple of tweets last month, but nothing in the last two weeks which is a bit odd.

I'm also not convinced they've got much more to announce, and it's interesting that they've got no real "Special Guests" slots. They had about 4 last year, with Supergrass, Rudimental, Damon Albarn and Bombay Bicycle Club. A lot of the time they're just glorified slots, but it's interesting that they've not tried to sell or book any as special guests.

I'm hoping that they've still got a few more music names to announce, or at least a secret set somewhere. A while ago they mentioned a few secret gigs taking place in the Trailer Park after the headliners, will be interesting to see how they pan out.

I'm on Latitude's mailing list, and I got an email saying the full lineup was here, without really announcing much. If you're on the mailing list, what did you think of this email? I looked on the website and the line-up hadn't changed at all, and there wasn't anything new in the news section of the website. I'd presume they'd at least update one of the two if that was going to be the full lineup.

Yeah all quiet isn't it. 

I agree,  doesn't feel like there is anything else to announce. 

If it's true that it hasn't been selling as well as previously then now would be the time to announce a final special guest to push tickets for the last 2 weeks...I don't think it'll happen. 

I managed to find this online, I'm pretty sure it's a crew map for this year. If anyone can notice anything interesting, special or any changes for this year, huge points to you!

2079723957_LatitudeCrewMap2.thumb.jpg.035b443f0095a4c4373aad622e689902.jpg

Edited by Miyn

I figured out what the 10th of July thing was.

Radio 1's BBC Introducing programme had a Latitude special, where they played some songs of artists playing their stage this year. It's weird how they advertised it as them announcing some names, as the full Introducing line-up was already out. I gave it a quick listen, and I don't think there was anything of note.

I don't think we're going to get anymore names either. They sent out an email last week, confirming that the full line-up is complete. I thought it was a bit weird, as I presumed they would promote the "final line-up announcement" a bit more than just discreetly dropping it in an email.

I'm pretty happy with the line-up overall though, roughly similar to last year in terms of quality for me. We're in the single digits of days to go, so hopefully they won't keep us waiting much longer for that bloody schedule! 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Miyn said:

I figured out what the 10th of July thing was.

Radio 1's BBC Introducing programme had a Latitude special, where they played some songs of artists playing their stage this year. It's weird how they advertised it as them announcing some names, as the full Introducing line-up was already out. I gave it a quick listen, and I don't think there was anything of note.

I don't think we're going to get anymore names either. They sent out an email last week, confirming that the full line-up is complete. I thought it was a bit weird, as I presumed they would promote the "final line-up announcement" a bit more than just discreetly dropping it in an email.

I'm pretty happy with the line-up overall though, roughly similar to last year in terms of quality for me. We're in the single digits of days to go, so hopefully they won't keep us waiting much longer for that bloody schedule! 

Good work Miyn 👏.  Yeah not much I'm too fussed about the names there, but I've got enough clashes anyway. 

Yeah I wish they would update the app now so I can start highlighting stuff. 

Just ordered my drinks for the festival. And into thinking about what the weather will be like. 

There is sure to be a day of storms and heavy rain after the heatwave, hopefully that doesn't correspond with the start of the festival. 

I never could work out all the models in the Glasto weather thread so just hoping for the best. 

Edited by glimmers_of_hope
  • Upvote 1

On 7/10/2022 at 3:20 PM, ianlash said:

Any experience with Vodafone at Latitude? I’ve been many times before and I’ve had phones on the EE network which worked well. Just wondering what Vodafone is like there?

cheers

I'm with lebara (offshoot of vodafone) and don't remember having any issues last yr

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Good work Miyn 👏.  Yeah not much I'm too fussed about the names there, but I've got enough clashes anyway. 

Yeah I wish they would update the app now so I can start highlighting stuff.

They seem to be responding to more tweets, and they've replied to someone saying the app is coming very soon, whatever that actually means in practice.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

15 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

There is sure to be a day of storms and heavy rain after the heatwave, hopefully that doesn't correspond with the start of the festival.

Early days, but it's looking good at the moment. I'd absolutely take this, pretty much ideal weather.

274830558_latitudeweather.jpg.423b7df6f28d68a2006983c71a98b4ae.jpg

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Miyn said:

Early days, but it's looking good at the moment. I'd absolutely take this, pretty much ideal weather.

274830558_latitudeweather.jpg.423b7df6f28d68a2006983c71a98b4ae.jpg

Tempting fate I know, but what’s the deal with lake swimming? Do you have to go on the paid tour thing or can you just take your swimmers and have a dip?