Latitude 2022

Chapple12345

Massaoke and Guilty Pleasures always look good fun and I've heard the Charlotte Church Pop Dungeon is an experience, where else could you see the voice of an angel covering Killing in the Name?  

Have we heard if the cabaret arena is back? I only ask as there seem to be way more comedians than usual on the bill and I don't see how they'd fit them all in without another stage for them? 

16 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I've not eaten in the hot house but we have eaten in giant robot which was the similar thing a long time ago and it was proper restaurant prices. My wife wanted to eat there and we wandered on not really knowing what it was. I can remember that I ordered a salad which was £7.50 and when it came it was just a side salad! 

Ha, yeah, might not bother then…

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I was just looking at the latitude clashfinder and noticed a set sized gap on the Sunday on the bbc sounds stage which I swear wasn't there previously. (Also a TBA on the sunrise which I had noticed).

Not sure who updated the clashfinder and if they know something we don't know. 

Screenshot_20220703-172125_Chrome.jpg

Unfortunately they don't know know something we don't, as that person is mostly me.

I setup the clashfinder, but it's public and anyone can edit it. The gap on the BBC Sounds Stage is due to Hurray For The Riff Raff cancelling, it looks like they're being replaced by Crows, so I'll update that when I next get chance. It's not been announced or confirmed, however they mysteriously dropped off the lineup and Crows were added to the same day they dropped out from.

The TBA on Sunrise was in anticipation of new names being added, which they now have, although as they haven't been announced, I've only just realised. Latitude need to get their act together and start telling us if people are dropping out or being added! A few months ago the day splits on the Sunrise meant acts on each day were: 9/9/8, so presuming that they'd be another act for Sunday I added a TBA there. A few weeks later MF Tomlinson then gets added to the Friday which really confused me as it made the day splits: 10/9/8. They've now silently added three more which has brought the count on Sunrise up to 10 acts a day or 30 overall, which is roughly one more a day than last year. The names added were: Charlie Hickey, lozeak, and Martha Skye Murphy. Order on that stage is probably 80% right as I'm going off the day splits poster they posted a couple of months ago and I've just been slotting the other acts in roughly where I think they'll play on their day, you can see it here:

Other than which day on The Alcove, I have absolutely no clue who's playing where. They've not published any stage order so it's complete guesswork, I ordered them from highest to lowest Spotify monthly listeners to hopefully give a vague idea of when they'll be on, but I'd basically just ignore that stage clashes wise until the official schedule comes out. They've also added loads of new names for The Alcove, giving us a total of 33, so 11 per day. In 2021 we had 26 in total, so I'm not sure how they're going to fit and extra seven acts on that stage unless they're finishing at the same time the headliners do, as they usually finish before they start.

They should definitely have some way of notifying people which acts have been added or removed, as at the moment it's just up to eagle eyed people like me looking at the poster and noticing if there's been any changes. If anyone from Latitude is reading this, it would be helpful to have an updates section at the bottom of the poster where we could see what changes have been made recently. Thanks!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Miyn said:

Unfortunately they don't know know something we don't, as that person is mostly me.

I setup the clashfinder, but it's public and anyone can edit it. The gap on the BBC Sounds Stage is due to Hurray For The Riff Raff cancelling, it looks like they're being replaced by Crows, so I'll update that when I next get chance. It's not been announced or confirmed, however they mysteriously dropped off the lineup and Crows were added to the same day they dropped out from.

The TBA on Sunrise was in anticipation of new names being added, which they now have, although as they haven't been announced, I've only just realised. Latitude need to get their act together and start telling us if people are dropping out or being added! A few months ago the day splits on the Sunrise meant acts on each day were: 9/9/8, so presuming that they'd be another act for Sunday I added a TBA there. A few weeks later MF Tomlinson then gets added to the Friday which really confused me as it made the day splits: 10/9/8. They've now silently added three more which has brought the count on Sunrise up to 10 acts a day or 30 overall, which is roughly one more a day than last year. The names added were: Charlie Hickey, lozeak, and Martha Skye Murphy. Order on that stage is probably 80% right as I'm going off the day splits poster they posted a couple of months ago and I've just been slotting the other acts in roughly where I think they'll play on their day, you can see it here:

Other than which day on The Alcove, I have absolutely no clue who's playing where. They've not published any stage order so it's complete guesswork, I ordered them from highest to lowest Spotify monthly listeners to hopefully give a vague idea of when they'll be on, but I'd basically just ignore that stage clashes wise until the official schedule comes out. They've also added loads of new names for The Alcove, giving us a total of 33, so 11 per day. In 2021 we had 26 in total, so I'm not sure how they're going to fit and extra seven acts on that stage unless they're finishing at the same time the headliners do, as they usually finish before they start.

They should definitely have some way of notifying people which acts have been added or removed, as at the moment it's just up to eagle eyed people like me looking at the poster and noticing if there's been any changes. If anyone from Latitude is reading this, it would be helpful to have an updates section at the bottom of the poster where we could see what changes have been made recently. Thanks!

Good work on updating the clashfinder, it is really useful. 

It's a shame that hooray for riff raff have cancelled, I wanted to see them. I've seen Crows before supporting wolf Alice, they were fine but not that bothered by them. 

5 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

They did really well last year with announcing acts pulling out on their social medias over the weekend and replacements announced quickly too. I guess they're waiting to announce everything (I imagine it'll be this week) and we can see the full lineup 

I'm pretty sure it'll be announced 10th July, which is next Sunday. When Latitude announced the BBC Introducing Stage this year, they said "Full line-up announced 10th July". I don't think it's referring to the full BBC Introducing line-up, as the video shows 18 acts, which is the same amount they had last year. So I think it's a safe bet for the full line-up to come next Sunday.

The acts announced for BBC Introducing are:

Aine Deane, Conrad, Deep Tan, Eden Lole, George O'Hanlon, Girls of the Internet, House of EL, Kessler, Lilo, Lizzie Reid, Maddie Ashman, Oscar Welsh, Phoebe Hall, Reuben James, Saint Joshua, Sipho., Vanives, Winnie Ama

With Kessler, Girls Of The Internet and Winnie Ama presumably on last each day as that's who they've promoted in the two tweets:

I'm only really familiar with Deep Tan due to their Speedy Wunderground single, so if anyone has any recommendations from those acts, let me know!

10 hours ago, Chapple12345 said:

Have we heard if the cabaret arena is back? I only ask as there seem to be way more comedians than usual on the bill and I don't see how they'd fit them all in without another stage for them? 

We definitely have more names under the "Comedy" section this year. 51 this year, compared to 37 last time. Have they put them in the Cabaret Arena before? They weren't all in the Comedy Arena last year, so where else could they put them?

Edited by Miyn

3 hours ago, Miyn said:

We definitely have more names under the "Comedy" section this year. 51 this year, compared to 37 last time. Have they put them in the Cabaret Arena before? They weren't all in the Comedy Arena last year, so where else could they put them?

I saw Mark Thomas in the Theatre tent last year, so assume he wasn't the only one. He was doing his tour show rather than a straight stand up set.

7 hours ago, Miyn said:

Yeah they would usually have more comedians on the cabaret stage than the actual comedy one, but it did run a lot later and the sets were much shorter than the Comedy Arena. 

Comedians sometimes appear in the listening post or literature arenas but other than Bill Bailey playing the Obelisk last year I can't think of any others they'd have done 

10 hours ago, Miyn said:

Previously the cabaret tent had its own lineup which included comedy. I wonder whether the comedy tent will go on for longer this year if there are more names,  I think it used to finish late afternoon. Either that or sets are shorter. 

6 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Previously the cabaret tent had its own lineup which included comedy. I wonder whether the comedy tent will go on for longer this year if there are more names,  I think it used to finish late afternoon. Either that or sets are shorter. 

Yeah it usually runs around 11am-6pm but I wonder if they'll add a bit more time on (say 7/7:30ish) for a few more spaces for acts 

Edited by Chapple12345
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

The crushing inevitably of Luke Wright at Latitude.

I like him, but he is a permanent fixture. 

He used to host and curate the Poetry Arena, not sure if he still does. So it's not really a surprise that he plays every year. I stumbled across him last year on the Thursday and thought he was great. I'd see him again if he doesn't clash with anyone I'd really like to see.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Miyn said:

He used to host and curate the Poetry Arena, not sure if he still does. So it's not really a surprise that he plays every year. I stumbled across him last year on the Thursday and thought he was great. I'd see him again if he doesn't clash with anyone I'd really like to see.

He is really good + you are correct he used to curate the poetry tent. 

There will be people that see him for the first time this latitude. 

In fairness he does new material every year. Not all do. 

I know a few people have expressed some dissatisfaction with the music lineup this year. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that it is a really excellent lineup. I think the caveat is, you have to embrace stuff you might not have heard of before and new music. 

That is to say, what it lacks in "big familiar names" it more than makes up for with smaller, newer and weirder acts. You just have to dig in a bit to find them. 

I know I've already waxed poetic about bartees strange who I knew previously, but in doing "homework" on other acts playing on smaller stages I've found loads of stuff I had never heard of before. 

Some examples. 

Wilsen - remind me of big thief

Cavetown - remind me of elliott Smith

Priestgate- remind me of the cure

Cassia - remind me of vampire weekend

Gaffa tape sandy - remind me of johnny foriegner,  or early los campesinos 

Loving crack cloud, naima block, Caroline, courting, Morgan harper- Jones. 

I've also given porridge radio more of a listen having not really given them enough time previously. 

And that is before the people I previously knew about and was looking forward too.

Really looking forward to this year. Now just hoping for nice weather. 

• Upvote 1

I agree, the lineup is great for me. Only complaint is that most of the things I want to see are on Friday but that just means Sunday in particular is going to be a day of wandering around and seeing what's good, which is always fun.

+1 for Gaffa Tape Sandy and caroline. caroline are on in the theatre arena so I'm hoping that means they are going to play in the round which is always cool.

Porridge Radio are probably my favourite new band of the last few years, they've just announced a small show in Ipswich in September as well.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I know a few people have expressed some dissatisfaction with the music lineup this year. I'm going to stick my neck out here and say that it is a really excellent lineup. I think the caveat is, you have to embrace stuff you might not have heard of before and new music. 

That is to say, what it lacks in "big familiar names" it more than makes up for with smaller, newer and weirder acts. You just have to dig in a bit to find them.

Now that all the smaller stages have been announced, I actually think the line-up is pretty great. When the line-up first got announced, I wasn't happy and definitely vented my frustration in previous posts in this thread. The problem was, a lot of the names I recognised, I didn't like. But the first Latitude announcement never really goes down well on here.  I absolutely fall into the trap of seeing the first version of the poster, and then comparing it to the previous year, and obviously it's never as good as the smaller stages haven't been announced yet. I'm sure I'll fall into the same trap next year, unless we get someone like Arcade Fire, in which case I'll make very little complaints about the line-up.

But as I spend most of my weekend away from the Obelisk, it's not surprising there's not many names on there that I'm a fan of. However, as you've said, if you embrace stuff that isn't immediately familiar to you, you'll find loads of great stuff. The BBC Sounds tent is absolutely cracking this year as well as The Alcove. I'm guessing about half my weekend will be spent in those two tents judging by my preliminary clashfinder. I'm guessing it hasn't sold nearly as well as last year, as they've not mentioned getting low on tickets on any of the socials, which is a shame, as I think this years line-up is just as good as last years. If it was being run by an independent company, I'd really fear for its future, but as it's backed by FR, I think we'll be good for at least a few more years.

However, there's definitely a lack of big names this year, or people I'd consider real "gets" for Latitude. A lot of the big names aren't that big, and definitely aren't that hard to see. A great example of Latitude having a real "get" was Lana Del Rey in 2019. It was her only UK show of 2019 as well as her first show here since 2017, and she recently released NFR, which is a great album to see her on. I'm sure she was a pretty expensive booking though, but impressive bookings like that help keep the festival special. This year and last, there hasn't been many names that are really exclusive to see. I don't think they should spend all of their budget on one headliner like The Killers, but something more interesting than Lewis Capaldi, Foals, Snow Patrol would be great for next year. They should honestly just copy 2019.

But I can't complain too much, as I've got a load of great acts to see.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:17 PM, Miyn said:

Friday: Porridge Radio > KEG > Opus Kink > TV Priest > Maximo Park > Courting > Modest Mouse > Caroline Polachek > Phoebe Bridgers

Saturday: Priestgate > Bessie Turner > Honeyglaze > Beth Orton > Caroline > Little Simz > Groove Armada

Sunday: Matt Maltese > Tribes > Joe Unknown > Nilifur Yanya > Manic Street Preachers > Snow Patrol

In two weeks time we'll be back in Henham Park, listening to loads of great music, watching comedy and whatever else everyone likes to get up to at Latitude. I'm hoping we can get the app or schedule soon, as I'd love to start working on a real schedule, as at the moment the clashfinder is just an estimate. I think we got it the week of the festival last year, so I'm not expecting it to come out within the next week unfortunately.

Would be interested to know everyone's top three acts of the weekend, mine are:

1) Phoebe Bridgers

2) Nilufer Yanya

3) Porridge Radio

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Miyn said:

A great example of Latitude having a real "get" was Lana Del Rey in 2019.

Maybe this is why they stopped doing that, cause in my opinion she was absolutely terrible. 

9 hours ago, Miyn said:

Would be interested to know everyone's top three acts of the weekend

1. Phoebe Bridgers
2. Melt Yourself Down
3. Modest Mouse

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, chrisplowman said:

Maybe this is why they stopped doing that, cause in my opinion she was absolutely terrible.

An artist's reputation for playing live often doesn't matter that much, as you get some big acts that sell loads of tickets and are ropey live, and smaller ones who don't sell that many tickets but go down brilliantly. I just think Latitude should be trying to book a few more exclusive acts that you'd struggle to see elsewhere, in the top slots.

If they were able to get Liam Gallagher back after the festival was cancelled in 2020, I think it would be an impressive booking for them. I don't have that much interest in seeing him again, but he's had a real resurgence in the past five years. I think it's unlikely that he'll get booked again, as he's probably too big for them now. I thought it was a bit weird that he was meant to be headlining R&L the same year as Latitude, normally their headliners are noticeably bigger.

I'd love for them to book a headliner for the musos next year. Get someone like Arcade Fire or The National back for next year, and if they're ever available, Massive Attack and Portishead. The last few years have felt incredibly "safe" in terms of headliners, and they've gone quite mainstream. I'd be interested to see how 2020 was going to pan out, it got a lot of negative reception, but I thought it was the start of what could be a pretty decent lineup.

Edited by Miyn

25 minutes ago, Miyn said:

The last few years have felt incredibly "safe" in terms of headliners, and they've gone quite mainstream.

Mainstream maybe, but I don’t think booking Wolf Alice for their first (but almost certainly not last) UK headliner is all that ‘safe’ personally. Latitude has a good history of promoting UK bands to the top of the bill, and that should be as important as natural top-liners moving forward imho.