Latitude 2022

Chapple12345

23 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would quite like to hear the feedback on Lewis Capaldi here. Know he's on top with Foals and Snow Patrol, but the fact his Manchester Castlefield Bowl show was yet to sell out as recently as yesterday has left me wondering if his trajectory is quite what I anticiapted.

Expect an Sing-style swing, a la Ed Sheeran, for the next record to recoup some pop popularity perhaps - or maybe he goes the route of Jake Bugg and becomes a perennial O2 Academy/lower end bill filler for the next decade.

I think he was probably quite a promising booking for 2021 but as has been mentioned above the fact he only has one album and hasn't released anything new since makes a bit of a mockery of his headline place. Not that I'm worried, I'll be at Phoebe instead 

Also I noticed Wide Skies and Butterflies festival in Norfolk 2 weeks later has now been cancelled. I wonder if this will shift a few more tickets from attendees who were meant to go to that  

Possibly the most wishful of wishful thinking but Jack White is playing Union Chapel on 22nd July so possibly a surprise show on the Sat/Sun?!

I bought my friends tickets to this yesterday, as I had priority, so I’m mostly hoping it happens as I’m going to miss a very special show.

This week has been a drag following glasto. I avoided phoebe, self esteem, Foals and little simz because I didn't want to spoil them at glasto but I did see fontaines as I may need to leave early,  orlando weeks and Katy j Pearson.  They were all excellent. 

Hopefully the app gets updated soon with the late night stuff. 

2 hours ago, chrisplowman said:

Possibly the most wishful of wishful thinking but Jack White is playing Union Chapel on 22nd July so possibly a surprise show on the Sat/Sun?!

I bought my friends tickets to this yesterday, as I had priority, so I’m mostly hoping it happens as I’m going to miss a very special show.

Sadly I think it is wishful thinking,  but not impossible. 

Personally I'm not sure there will be a special guest this year. If so my money would be on The Smile... but the latitude secrets often only come out on the day. 

53 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Sadly I think it is wishful thinking,  but not impossible. 

Personally I'm not sure there will be a special guest this year. If so my money would be on The Smile... but the latitude secrets often only come out on the day. 

Yeah based on Thom having played it and Sons of Kemet playing it many times they seem like a stronger bet but yeah no obvious hole in the schedule this year.

• Upvote 1

On 6/28/2022 at 6:37 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would quite like to hear the feedback on Lewis Capaldi here. Know he's on top with Foals and Snow Patrol, but the fact his Manchester Castlefield Bowl show was yet to sell out as recently as yesterday has left me wondering if his trajectory is quite what I anticiapted.

Expect an Sing-style swing, a la Ed Sheeran, for the next record to recoup some pop popularity perhaps - or maybe he goes the route of Jake Bugg and becomes a perennial O2 Academy/lower end bill filler for the next decade.

Could go either way. I think back when he was booked he was probably looking likely to be the next ed sheeran... and it is still possible depending on the next album. 

It totally doesn't appeal to me and so I'll be at phoebe, but there will be plenty of people (particularly families) who want to sing along to the hits they know. 

It has felt like he's taken ages to follow up the first album 3 years is a long time in pop when you only have 1 album out,  but the 4 singles were all top 10 I think. 

He will have to play new stuff so that can fall flat.

I remember walking past the other stage at glasto when he played and it was packed and people seemed to really enjoy it... but that was over 3 years ago now.

I couldn't call how it will go down... but what I do know is Phoebe will put on an awesome show and anyone in the tent will see the gig of the weekend whether they are a massive fan already or if they haven't heard her before. 

I agree with most on here that the music lineup is average, and the festival is poor value for money even if the comedians are super expensive. Compared with Green Man or Truck or Y Not, and Latitude isn't somewhere you go for the music.

But a good friend of mine and her crew are going, so I'm probably going to head.

And all that said, Foals will be incredible as their Glasto set (which I missed) was supposedly immense. Little Simz is exceptional. And I'm also looking forward to Rina. As well as all the comedy and other stuff I'll immerse myself in, as Glasto was all about the music for me this time.

I'm not sure Phoebe Bridgers will be THAT amazing. I have wanted to see her for years and finally got the chance at Glasto. She played a good set, and bringing on Arlo Parks was a special moment, but it didn't blow me away.  Maybe it'll be different this time.

I find it odd that Lewis is on the Friday, he definitely feels like a Saturday headliner when all the day ticket families are in. That said if they had done a Phoebe Bridgers/Foals clash I would have been very mad.

I'm happy with the line-up personally. I've got 16 bands on my list to see, which makes it £15 a band before I've done anything else. I'll take that.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/28/2022 at 6:37 PM, NorthernSoul52 said:

On 6/29/2022 at 2:31 PM, FestivalFan64 said:

He makes soulless soul music, an industry plant with nothing new to bring to the table. The fact that he's headlining latitude with only 45 minutes of songs is laughable. Hard to say whether his next songs will go down well or not but if his copy paste previous songs did any of his dross can.

I don't hold resentment for many artists but his constantly hailed unoriginal style bug me a bit.  

I'm not a fan. I think his trajectory has definitely stalled, although if his next record does well he could get up to the George Ezra level. The issue is, is that he's only got one record. I think Latitude booked him for 2021 hoping that he'd have a second record out, as Ezra headlined 2019 after releasing his second album and they satisfy a similar demographic. As if it performed as well as his first, he'd be on par with Ezra. However, it's now 2022, and there's no sign of a follow up. He hasn't released any new music since 2019. I reckon he's probably struggling to write something that will reach the success of the first record. Seems like he's Divinely Uninspired To A Hellish Extent.

The thing with the majority of pop music is that you have to maintain listeners attention. Someone like Snow Patrol can go away for 10+ years, come back and they're still a big name. You don't get that with the majority of pop, as they're usually earlier on in their career and people move on quickly as they have less nostalgia value. If he had a second album out that performed well, it would be a more impressive and understandable booking, but right now it just looks boring, outdated, and weak. Looking at his most recent festival headline setlist at Isle Of Wight, he's only been playing 14 songs, one of which is a cover. So he's most likely going to get a 1h 15m headline slot.

Anyway, there's usually a Latitude headliner or two that makes you roll your eyes, but there's always something good on at the same time. This year is no different as we've got Phoebe Bridgers headlining the BBC Sounds tent, her set looked great at Glastonbury and it's the act I'm most looking forward to watching over the whole weekend. I'm sure she'll kill it, and I imagine there'll be lots of people there having a great time, including a few people on this forum. I can't wait.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, chrisplowman said:

I find it odd that Lewis is on the Friday, he definitely feels like a Saturday headliner when all the day ticket families are in. That said if they had done a Phoebe Bridgers/Foals clash I would have been very mad.

I'm happy with the line-up personally. I've got 16 bands on my list to see, which makes it £15 a band before I've done anything else. I'll take that.

I don't know about the local schools, but my school breaks up on the Thursday, so you could still get a lot of day ticketing families in. Although I think a lot of families would book the whole weekend. I didn't see many day ticket wristbands last year, but I'm not sure what percentage of the total capacity day tickets make up. I'd say in 2019, the most family friendly headliner was possibly George Ezra, although Stereophonics wouldn't be that far behind. So I don't think that there's a large trend of family friendly acts on the Saturday. Same with Bastille last year, they played the Sunday and probably have the most radio friendly hits.

I'm glad I've got Phoebe as my option on Friday. I'd see her even if she clashed with Foals, as I've seen them four times, including twice this year, and Phoebe is my #1 for the whole weekend. I'm pretty happy with my headliners for the weekend. I'm going to see Groove Armada on the Saturday as they're meant to be stopping touring soon, at least for a while anyway. I'm probably going to see Snow Patrol, as I've seen Fontaines before, and I'm going to see them again with The Strokes. Also interested in Let's Eat Grandma, but I've got tickets to their tour later this year.

I'm actually really happy with the lineup overall, and I've got 22 bands on my list to see, and a few more if I've got space in my schedule. That's without the comedy lineup times announced, so I'm going to have a jam packed weekend when I factor in a few comedians that I'd quite like to see.

The acts I've highlighted in green are:

Friday: Porridge Radio > KEG > Opus Kink > TV Priest > Maximo Park > Courting > Modest Mouse > Caroline Polachek > Phoebe Bridgers

Saturday: Priestgate > Bessie Turner > Honeyglaze > Beth Orton > Caroline > Little Simz > Groove Armada

Sunday: Matt Maltese > Tribes > Joe Unknown > Nilifur Yanya > Manic Street Preachers > Snow Patrol

So if the ticket is roughly £240, then it works out to about £11 per band, which is pretty good value. Also a few more in there I could've highlighted, but I tried to limit it to acts that I'd actively like to see, rather than ones that are in the wouldn't mind seeing bracket.

Latitude always books some great music, sometimes it's more prevalent like in 2021. However, sometimes it's a bit more hidden like this year. You've just got to look for it, and you'll be rewarded with some amazing new bands and acts.

Hi all. We’re pretty well festivalled but this will be our first Latitude and will be coming with some festival virgins. Like most, I don’t think the line ups amazing but there’s enough there to keep me interested and hopefully give me time to explore non music stuff. Typically my 2 must sees clash (fontaines and let’s eat grandma)!

I’ve got a few questions, if the regulars can advise please. 

1, what’s the trek like from car to camping (compared to Glastonbury say)?

2, gates open at 10 on Thursday but arena doesn’t open til 5. I’m guessing there must be some bars and food stalls around the campsites?

3, I can’t see anything about the late night programme yet. Arena opens til 3am, is that gonna be dance music only or will the comedy/arts programme continue late?

4, and what calibre/style of DJs are we looking at?

5, just Carlsberg? Really?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions as things get closer, but thanks for now. 

19 hours ago, Green.flash said:

Hi all. We’re pretty well festivalled but this will be our first Latitude and will be coming with some festival virgins. Like most, I don’t think the line ups amazing but there’s enough there to keep me interested and hopefully give me time to explore non music stuff. Typically my 2 must sees clash (fontaines and let’s eat grandma)!

2, gates open at 10 on Thursday but arena doesn’t open til 5. I’m guessing there must be some bars and food stalls around the campsites?

3, I can’t see anything about the late night programme yet. Arena opens til 3am, is that gonna be dance music only or will the comedy/arts programme continue late?

I'll try answer some of your questions, I've been to the past 6 Latitudes.

I stay in campervan field so not sure on distance from car parks but compared to Glasto, def shorter walk plus they have a charity concierge, payable but they will sherpa your kit about.

There are stalls/traders/food/bar before the arena entrance plus the Co-op all open as gates open plus a few food traders dotted around in the camp areas

Late night areas: Shack are always there, a self built DJ collective who bash out amazing tunes all on vinyl.  Lots of the areas have late night stuff, I'd recommend Charlotte Church Late Night Pop Dungeon, she's bloody awesome.  Last year there was an ambulance pumping out some old club classics outside the kids field late at night plus the Trailer Park has random stuff on.  The Woods is full of teeny boppers on the Thurs eve/night all running about smashed, let loose after exams & parental supervision, they calm down a bit as the festival goes on! 

3D were brilliant last year and 2019! If in doubt head for Shack or have a late night wander, you can't get lost it's small but there's often something unexpectedly round the corner.

Larger, can't help you with, I'm a gin drinker and there's always plenty of that!

Latitude was originally our Glasto comedown festival but it's now my partners favourite festival.  The comedy is 2nd to none.  Food is always really good.  Friendly atmosphere & chilled vibes.  It is expensive both tickets & drinks/food but I  think it's worth it.  I always come home feeling refreshed & that I've been to a festival, where as I come back from Glasto broken!

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Green.flash said:

This will be my 12th latitude, I've only missed 4 (and I've done 14 glastos) It does sort of depend where you manage to get with your car parking, but the worst you will be at latitude is no way as bad as the worst you could be at Glastonbury. Last year was the furthest away I've been and it was probably a 20 min walk with all our stuff and then we were camping at pink moon so a long way into the site so probably another 15 - 20 mins. 

As said above,  on the way to the arena there is a small market area with a bar and stalls. It's very small compared to glasto markets though. Usually people drink their own booze at tents before the arena opens tbh.

It is mainly dance music that is late. There used to be cabaret which was late but they haven't had that the last couple of years. Poetry used to go on a little bit after the headliners as well. 

Miyn has posted a link to the late night stuff. I always have fun but it is nothing like the depth and scale of glasto late night.  So you will get some djs playing various flavours of dance music. I'm not great at genres but house, stuff that is electronic and not cheesy is in the sunrise arena. You will also get people playing a bit of a mix of genres in the woods and it feels a bit like a rave.  Then there are cheese and indie in the comedy tent. 

There are other drinks than carlsberg. I think there is an ale usually... but yeah, the lager is carlsberg.

3 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

I'll try answer some of your questions, I've been to the past 6 Latitudes.

I stay in campervan field so not sure on distance from car parks but compared to Glasto, def shorter walk plus they have a charity concierge, payable but they will sherpa your kit about.

There are stalls/traders/food/bar before the arena entrance plus the Co-op all open as gates open plus a few food traders dotted around in the camp areas

Late night areas: Shack are always there, a self built DJ collective who bash out amazing tunes all on vinyl.  Lots of the areas have late night stuff, I'd recommend Charlotte Church Late Night Pop Dungeon, she's bloody awesome.  Last year there was an ambulance pumping out some old club classics outside the kids field late at night plus the Trailer Park has random stuff on.  The Woods is full of teeny boppers on the Thurs eve/night all running about smashed, let loose after exams & parental supervision, they calm down a bit as the festival goes on! 

3D were brilliant last year and 2019! If in doubt head for Shack or have a late night wander, you can't get lost it's small but there's often something unexpectedly round the corner.

Larger, can't help you with, I'm a gin drinker and there's always plenty of that!

Latitude was originally our Glasto comedown festival but it's now my partners favourite festival.  The comedy is 2nd to none.  Food is always really good.  Friendly atmosphere & chilled vibes.  It is expensive both tickets & drinks/food but I  think it's worth it.  I always come home feeling refreshed & that I've been to a festival, where as I come back from Glasto broken!

Enjoy!

Thanks for this, really helpful. 

Looking forward to the late night stuff now, 3D especially. I have good memories of seeing Darren Emerson play in Ibiza a couple of decades ago - right up my street. Nice to see there’s a bit of variety too and heard good things about Charlotte Church’s thing. 

I’m looking forward to feeling refreshed afterwards as well! Gonna be a bit more covid-aware after catching it at Glastonbury, still suffering now. 

3 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

This will be my 12th latitude, I've only missed 4 (and I've done 14 glastos) It does sort of depend where you manage to get with your car parking, but the worst you will be at latitude is no way as bad as the worst you could be at Glastonbury. Last year was the furthest away I've been and it was probably a 20 min walk with all our stuff and then we were camping at pink moon so a long way into the site so probably another 15 - 20 mins. 

As said above,  on the way to the arena there is a small market area with a bar and stalls. It's very small compared to glasto markets though. Usually people drink their own booze at tents before the arena opens tbh.

It is mainly dance music that is late. There used to be cabaret which was late but they haven't had that the last couple of years. Poetry used to go on a little bit after the headliners as well. 

Miyn has posted a link to the late night stuff. I always have fun but it is nothing like the depth and scale of glasto late night.  So you will get some djs playing various flavours of dance music. I'm not great at genres but house, stuff that is electronic and not cheesy is in the sunrise arena. You will also get people playing a bit of a mix of genres in the woods and it feels a bit like a rave.  Then there are cheese and indie in the comedy tent. 

There are other drinks than carlsberg. I think there is an ale usually... but yeah, the lager is carlsberg.

Nice one, thanks Glimmers. That walk doesn’t sound too bad. Not only Glastonbury, but we used to go to V at Weston Park and it felt like you had to do a loop of the site before you could pitch up.

Getting the map will help with planning in camping I guess. Are the campsites much of a muchness or is it worth aiming for a particular one. Generally at Glastonbury we just pitch up as soon as we’re through the gate. Better to walk further and more often with nothing in your back than struggling forever with all the kit. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Green.flash said:

Nice one, thanks Glimmers. That walk doesn’t sound too bad. Not only Glastonbury, but we used to go to V at Weston Park and it felt like you had to do a loop of the site before you could pitch up.

Getting the map will help with planning in camping I guess. Are the campsites much of a muchness or is it worth aiming for a particular one. Generally at Glastonbury we just pitch up as soon as we’re through the gate. Better to walk further and more often with nothing in your back than struggling forever with all the kit. 

Yeah there isn't much difference in campsites,  just pick where you think it's best. The actual site with the stages isn't super massive so it's not like glasto where you might want to be on a specific side.

I don't usually recommend acts, but feel really strongly about this one. 

Bartees Strange on the sunrise arena on Friday. 

For fans of The National, Phoebe Bridgers,  TV on the Radio.

His first album was one of my favourite albums of 2020. He is now signed to 4AD and his second album was released a couple of weeks ago and is probably even better than the first.

If you are interested in America indie guitar music don't miss him because both his albums are really good. 

I'm not sure what he is like live as I've never seen him before but it is the act I'm looking forward to the most. 

1 hour ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

I don't usually recommend acts, but feel really strongly about this one. 

Bartees Strange on the sunrise arena on Friday. 

For fans of The National, Phoebe Bridgers,  TV on the Radio.

His first album was one of my favourite albums of 2020. He is now signed to 4AD and his second album was released a couple of weeks ago and is probably even better than the first.

If you are interested in America indie guitar music don't miss him because both his albums are really good. 

I'm not sure what he is like live as I've never seen him before but it is the act I'm looking forward to the most. 

When I was putting my playlist together after the initial line up drop he was the act (out of those i’d not heard of before)that caught my ear the most. I’ll be there. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Cannedm said:

3d were indeed amazing both years. Underworld followed by the 3D set out in the woods in 2019 was probably my highlight of that year.

Chems followed by 3D last year, absolute peak Sat night dance fodder 💃🕺

Looking forward to 3D being back in The Woods this year, Outpost in Forbidden Forest was genuinely a great little addition but that tent was no way big enough for how rammed their set started out.  Sunrise tent is bigger I think, plus you've the additional areas around the tent where sound is still good, Outpost had sound bleed from Shack so unless you were inside the sound wasn't great.

1 hour ago, Green.flash said:

We’re thinking we might book a table in the Hothouse. Is it worth it? And what are the average prices like?

I've not eaten in the hot house but we have eaten in giant robot which was the similar thing a long time ago and it was proper restaurant prices. My wife wanted to eat there and we wandered on not really knowing what it was. I can remember that I ordered a salad which was £7.50 and when it came it was just a side salad!