Latitude 2022

Chapple12345

2 hours ago, Miyn said:

Yeah, I was jokingly commenting on the similarity between Albarn and The Smile. As in Albarn was in Blur, and is making depressing music as a solo project. As well as Thom and Jonny being in Radiohead and also making depressing music as a solo project. But to be fair, Radiohead were never really upbeat.

I wonder if Gorillaz would ever get booked to headline, they seem the right sort of size and Albarn seems to have a good relationship with the festival. Also not many places for them to play in the UK, played Boardmasters last year, and are playing APE this year. I don't think they're likely to be at Glastonbury for the foreseeable future, they won't be given a headline spot, and probably don't want to take an Other headline slot.

I think that Gorrilaz are definitely a band who could play Latitude at some point, they seem the right size and style. 

I also don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that Radiohead would play Latitude one day... but who knows. 

On 5/26/2022 at 12:33 PM, glimmers_of_hope said:

I think that Gorrilaz are definitely a band who could play Latitude at some point, they seem the right size and style. 

I also don't think it is beyond the realms of possibility that Radiohead would play Latitude one day... but who knows. 

Im stunned Gorillaz never done it before, they're the perfect latitude act and Damon has a great relationship with the festival too

With regards to Radiohead, I'll be controversial and say Killers are 'bigger' and have headlined so can't see why they wouldn't either 

11 minutes ago, Miyn said:

More of the comedy lineup announced:

Some fab names in there,  as there's less music I fancy this year I think I'll spending a fair bit of time there. Do we know if the cabaret arena will be back or has it been scrapped completely 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Chapple12345 said:

Im stunned Gorillaz never done it before, they're the perfect latitude act and Damon has a great relationship with the festival too

With regards to Radiohead, I'll be controversial and say Killers are 'bigger' and have headlined so can't see why they wouldn't either 

Some fab names in there,  as there's less music I fancy this year I think I'll spending a fair bit of time there. Do we know if the cabaret arena will be back or has it been scrapped completely 

I agree if Killers can headline latitude the year before headlining Glastonbury then Latitude could get Radiohead one day...

I would love to see Gorillaz at latitude, I think they would go down well. 

• Like 1

On 5/21/2022 at 11:28 PM, Miyn said:

Nice!

I've heard it's one of the best to volunteer at as a steward. It's a great atmosphere and site, and there aren't as many troublemakers compared to somewhere like Reading or Leeds. There's lots of hidden gems on the line-up for me, I wasn't really a fan of it when it came out, but now I've listened to some of the artists lower down on the bill, I think it's pretty great. I'll probably be at Matt Maltese and almost certainly at Little Simz, could also be tempted to see Rina as well. I think it's a great festival for discovering new music, as they book some great new bands, and the stages are quite close together, so if you're not feeling a certain band or artist you can always pop in and see what's going on elsewhere. I discovered loads of new artists last year, and I've got quite a few on my list to catch this year. I've heard a lot of good reviews for Matt Maltese, so him playing on the Sunrise Arena, which has a great feel, will be really special I think.

If you've got any questions or queries about Latitude, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you. I don't have any experience with volunteering, but I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about Latitude, or could at least point you in the right direction for an answer. 

Thanks for the help, I saw Rina and Alfie at the weekend at Big Weekend. Can highly recommend both especially Rina, she killed it. I'm Slightly stressed about going solo especially since it'll be my first proper "festival" but should be fine haha, always meet a few people about.

On 5/28/2022 at 11:57 AM, glimmers_of_hope said:

I agree if Killers can headline latitude the year before headlining Glastonbury then Latitude could get Radiohead one day...

I'd love to see it, as Radiohead are my favourite band of all time. But I don't think that Latitude would really go for them, or vice versa. Just as a bit of context, since 2010, they've played 10 times in the UK. 7 of which have been their own tour dates, 2 at Glastonbury, and once at TRNSMT. I don't think TRNSMT would book them again, as they've gone in the indie rock direction, so I think it could just be Glastonbury and their own dates from now on.

I don't know how well they'd go down though, probably a few mums and dads who haven't listened to them since OK Computer going to see them and being very disappointed. It would probably be one of the fastest selling day tickets though, as they tour so infrequently as well as tickets being below the £100 mark, I think they'd fly out the door. I just don't think it's the kind of act they'd book. I presume they're reasonably expensive, and there's a lot more acts that would do the job for a lot less.

I don't think Latitude is trying to book acts that are Glastonbury headline level anymore, like they did in 2017 and 2018, with Mumford's and Killers. It seems like they're going for smaller, but similar level headliners, that are around the Glastonbury sub or Other headline level. E.g. George Ezra, Lana Del Rey, Liam Gallagher, Chemical Brothers, Foals etc. I think 2019 was the gold standard for this booking style. I think they'll stay booking at this level, as it looks like it's working better for them.

On a related note, I went to see The Smile last Thursday, and it was incredible. If you have the chance to see them in the future, I recommend you go if you are somewhat interested in them. They're masters of their craft, and know how to engage an audience in the music. I got there about 3 hours before doors, ended up 24th in the queue, and got a barrier spot right in front of Thom. I was transfixed for the whole gig. Also managed to get a setlist signed by Thom, which was incredibly lucky, my dad managed to catch it as they threw it out into the crowd. If they play Latitude this year, I won't miss them for anything, and they'll be my absolute must see for the whole weekend. Their EU tour ends on the Wednesday of Latitude, and APE implies they've got another UK festival to announce, surely it has to be Latitude???

20220602_213055.thumb.jpg.58fd69593f481a6ecf3308e858cf1e50.jpg

IMG_20220602_215747.thumb.jpg.ffeb3aea0bd52dd1f1048e5728208fd5.jpg

282653545_1251998628873130_8613829140272095887_n.thumb.jpg.2b333b2f24aea085aa3c3ad67b325539.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Miyn said:

I'd love to see it, as Radiohead are my favourite band of all time. But I don't think that Latitude would really go for them, or vice versa. Just as a bit of context, since 2010, they've played 10 times in the UK. 7 of which have been their own tour dates, 2 at Glastonbury, and once at TRNSMT. I don't think TRNSMT would book them again, as they've gone in the indie rock direction, so I think it could just be Glastonbury and their own dates from now on.

I don't know how well they'd go down though, probably a few mums and dads who haven't listened to them since OK Computer going to see them and being very disappointed. It would probably be one of the fastest selling day tickets though, as they tour so infrequently as well as tickets being below the £100 mark, I think they'd fly out the door. I just don't think it's the kind of act they'd book. I presume they're reasonably expensive, and there's a lot more acts that would do the job for a lot less.

I don't think Latitude is trying to book acts that are Glastonbury headline level anymore, like they did in 2017 and 2018, with Mumford's and Killers. It seems like they're going for smaller, but similar level headliners, that are around the Glastonbury sub or Other headline level. E.g. George Ezra, Lana Del Rey, Liam Gallagher, Chemical Brothers, Foals etc. I think 2019 was the gold standard for this booking style. I think they'll stay booking at this level, as it looks like it's working better for them.

On a related note, I went to see The Smile last Thursday, and it was incredible. If you have the chance to see them in the future, I recommend you go if you are somewhat interested in them. They're masters of their craft, and know how to engage an audience in the music. I got there about 3 hours before doors, ended up 24th in the queue, and got a barrier spot right in front of Thom. I was transfixed for the whole gig. Also managed to get a setlist signed by Thom, which was incredibly lucky, my dad managed to catch it as they threw it out into the crowd. If they play Latitude this year, I won't miss them for anything, and they'll be my absolute must see for the whole weekend. Their EU tour ends on the Wednesday of Latitude, and APE implies they've got another UK festival to announce, surely it has to be Latitude???

20220602_213055.thumb.jpg.58fd69593f481a6ecf3308e858cf1e50.jpg

IMG_20220602_215747.thumb.jpg.ffeb3aea0bd52dd1f1048e5728208fd5.jpg

282653545_1251998628873130_8613829140272095887_n.thumb.jpg.2b333b2f24aea085aa3c3ad67b325539.jpg

Wow that is cool.  Glad you enjoyed the gig. Yeah I'm a massive radiohead fan so if they are at latitude I will be there. 

So back to the hyperthetical question of whether radiohead could headline latitude. 

Obviously a lot would depend on whether they get back together and do another album/ tour.

I've seen them 7 times over the years. In some respects they kinda just do what they like, I've seen them at reading and v festival as well as glasto 3 times the Oxford South Park gig and an arena gig in Cardiff. 

I get the sense that another glasto would be a long way off,  they aren't a reading sort of band anymore (although they could),  so you are left with all points east, british summertime, or latitude all of which are possible... or they do their own thing,  which they have done several times before. 

I reckon they would go down well. I know the crowd has changed at latitude from the days of Anthony and the Johnstons and sigur ros but they still have slightly left of centre acts. 

New for 2022, we're proud to present The Guest Chef, where each day, a much-loved familiar face will share the food that brings them joy with the festival audience, designing a menu exclusively for Latitude, and joining our diners to share in the experience. 

Gary Lineker, Judi Love, Amanda Owen, and Georgina Hayden have been announced for the following dates:

Thursday 21st July - Gary Lineker: My Catalan Kitchen

Friday 22nd July - Georgina Hayden's Mediterranean and Middle Eastern Feast 

Saturday 23rd July - Judi Love’s Meal at The Guest Chef

Sunday 24th July - Amanda Owen: The Yorkshire Shepherdess's Summer Roast

The Guest Chef is an innovative 300 cover restaurant providing dinner service from Thursday, and lunch and dinner service from Friday - Sunday. Book now for an unmissable chance to experience delicious food and a unique experience with each of our Guest Chefs.

https://www.latitudefestival.com/explore/the-guest-chef

Edited by Miyn

I've tried to stay positive about Latitude this year, I really have. I've been so many times, and so many happy memories...

I've tried to ignore the £250 per ticket cost for a pretty poor line up (yes, of course there's some decent bands amongst it, but frankly if my cats booked 100+ bands they'd manage to get 10 - 15 decent ones in there by odds alone).

I've tried to ignore continued "cinch presents Latitude" sponsorship everywhere (I'm hoping that it was a deal they've had to do to get through last year's event).

I've tried to ignore the Carlsberg everywhere else sponsorship (it would be nice to have just one other choice of beer like they used to... not lots, maybe just one other... but maybe somewhere there's a benefit)

I've tried to ignore their tone-deaf social media which fails to respond to what people are worrying about like instalment plans or disabled access etc (maybe their social team is just a bit overwhelmed)

But this announcement about the Guest Chefs... £57 to watch Gary Lineker cook something. £57!! To watch Gary Lineker cook!! I mean seriously, have they lost their mind on this. Does anyone who actually likes Latitude look at that announcement and do anything other than weep at the sheer inanity of it

I don't know... I think that is the point at which Latitude officially jumps the shark.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, pinksheepeverywhere said:

But this announcement about the Guest Chefs... £57 to watch Gary Lineker cook something. £57!! To watch Gary Lineker cook!! I mean seriously, have they lost their mind on this. Does anyone who actually likes Latitude look at that announcement and do anything other than weep at the sheer inanity of it

I don't know... I think that is the point at which Latitude officially jumps the shark.

It's hard to tell whether they're actually going to be cooking or not.

On some of the articles it implies that Gary will be cooking, and others that he's just designing the menu.

These sentences imply that he's just curating the menu:

• Each day, a much-loved face will share the food that brings them joy, in a menu they’ve designed exclusively for Latitude. - Website
  • Latitude will showcase Gary’s skill for creating the perfect dinner menu as he presents “My Catalan Kitchen”. - Website
  • Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker, comedian and presenter Judi Love, Amanda Owen - the Yorkshire Shepherdess and award winning food writer Georgina Hayden will each curate a 3-course feast to be served, sharing style, in the beautiful new restaurant, and join the festival diners on the day sharing the story behind their dishes. - Facebook

While others imply that they're going to be cooking:

• Each day a much-loved familiar face will take on hosting duties, preparing the food that brings them joy with an exclusive menu.
  • Match of the Day presenter Gary Lineker, comedian and presenter Judi Love, The Yorkshire Shepherdess Amanda Owen, and award winning food writer Georgina Hayden will each create a meal to be served in the beautiful new restaurant.

That last one could mean that they're just going to be cooking one portion of food before leaving the kitchen.

I think they might have a small part in cooking the food, perhaps doing a bit here and there for the first five minutes whilst the cameras are there. Then they'll go and "join the festival diners on the day sharing the story behind their dishes".

But to add to your point, yes. They're taking the fucking piss.

The above bollocks sounds kind of like they've seen how much cash gets taken in by the feasting / banquet options at Wilderness (which do sell out at insane prices), and have decided they need to cash in - but rather than copy directly have tried to put their own spin on it by adding the celebrity (non chef) factor.

Sounds like an absolutely awful way to spend valuable festival time, but I guess they'll get enough people taking it up.

Is this the first year that Latitude has been sponsored (cinch)? And do people think this will negatively impact the general feel, if you've been before? 

This will be my first year - usually go to End of the Road, ArcTangent, Primavera (this year), 2000 trees (in the past).

Lineup is looking okay for this year, was even thinking it will be a welcome break to explore some of the other areas of the festival instead of sprinting from stage to stage to catch all the bands I want to see (as I usually do at EOTR/ATG)

1 hour ago, stefmartin said:

Is this the first year that Latitude has been sponsored (cinch)? And do people think this will negatively impact the general feel, if you've been before? 

This will be my first year - usually go to End of the Road, ArcTangent, Primavera (this year), 2000 trees (in the past).

Lineup is looking okay for this year, was even thinking it will be a welcome break to explore some of the other areas of the festival instead of sprinting from stage to stage to catch all the bands I want to see (as I usually do at EOTR/ATG)

No. They sponsored it last year as well. The only impact is that there is Cinch branding on stages, merch, programme etc. 

There has always been prominent branding though from the sponsor. 

• Like 1

Re-read your question,  so in regard to sponsorship I think they're has always been sponsorship,  I remember Tuborg, Carlsberg, Pepsi, Pimms, Uncut magazine, barclaycard, co-op.

The Cinch thing has just been the last 2 years, but it is really just the name being all over things. 

Latitude is like most modern "sponsored" festivals,  loads of branding and partnerships with drinks and shops. I don't think it impacts the feel... but you will find the crowd a lot more mainstream than arctangent and green man. 

I think it's fair to say it will feel pretty different to those fests. 

There are a lot of families, a lot of day trippers - there to be at a festival in the sun rather than to see specific bands. Also as a demographic (and it will bore you how many times you hear this in  the comedy tent) it is a very middle class festival. 

I don't want to appear negative though. It is a great festival, I go every year and love it. 

48 minutes ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Re-read your question,  so in regard to sponsorship I think they're has always been sponsorship,  I remember Tuborg, Carlsberg, Pepsi, Pimms, Uncut magazine, barclaycard, co-op.

The Cinch thing has just been the last 2 years, but it is really just the name being all over things. 

Latitude is like most modern "sponsored" festivals,  loads of branding and partnerships with drinks and shops. I don't think it impacts the feel... but you will find the crowd a lot more mainstream than arctangent and green man. 

I think it's fair to say it will feel pretty different to those fests. 

There are a lot of families, a lot of day trippers - there to be at a festival in the sun rather than to see specific bands. Also as a demographic (and it will bore you how many times you hear this in  the comedy tent) it is a very middle class festival. 

I don't want to appear negative though. It is a great festival, I go every year and love it. 

Ah thanks 🙂 Yeah that's sort of what I'd imagined as well. 

It does sound like a really lovely festival, and still lots of acts I'm super excited to see on the lineup and the night stuff too (which they will hopefully announce soon?) - I'm going with my partner and some family so will be quite a different experience/more chilled to my usual festivals but really looking forward to it. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, stefmartin said:

Ah thanks 🙂 Yeah that's sort of what I'd imagined as well. 

It does sound like a really lovely festival, and still lots of acts I'm super excited to see on the lineup and the night stuff too (which they will hopefully announce soon?) - I'm going with my partner and some family so will be quite a different experience/more chilled to my usual festivals but really looking forward to it. 

Perfect festival for the family. 

Yeah will be good to see what the night time lineup will be like. 

Thursday night is always good fun in the trees (sunrise arena and around).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Worth keeping an eye on Glasto as there are a fair few crossover acts this year. Phoebe and Foals were excellent and Simz seemed to go down a storm too. Other acts being shown I believe are Self Esteem, Fontaines DC, Caroline Polachek so will be good to get an idea of their setlists 

Got back from Glasto yesterday, which was incredible. I deliberately saw acts that weren't playing Latitude, so I can look forward to them playing here. I saw Sam Fender instead of Phoebe, and judging by the reviews from people there and watching back home, it looks like we're in for a treat on Friday night. Less than a month to go, so hoping we get stage times as soon as possible so I can get working on a clashfinder and packing my schedule full of great music and comedy acts. Roll on Latitude 2022!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Miyn said:

Got back from Glasto yesterday, which was incredible. I deliberately saw acts that weren't playing Latitude, so I can look forward to them playing here. I saw Sam Fender instead of Phoebe, and judging by the reviews from people there and watching back home, it looks like we're in for a treat on Friday night. Less than a month to go, so hoping we get stage times as soon as possible so I can get working on a clashfinder and packing my schedule full of great music and comedy acts. Roll on Latitude 2022!

Very jealous! It all looked brilliant on TV. Im definitely more excited for it after spending the whole weekend watching. It looks as if my 3 most anticipated acts (Phoebe, Foals and Fontaines) went down well and they looked and sounded great on the streams I saw so very much looking forward to them.

I'd imagine we'll get stage times mid July time but having seen your clashfinder I don't think it'll be too dissimilar as theyre usually consistent every year 

On 6/27/2022 at 2:14 PM, MAs Fest Qs said:

Does anyone think we can expect any more announcements and additional music/comedy? 
Also what are the chances of a secret set again this year? Is this a guarantee?! The last few years have been great (LG, The Vaccines etc) 

We'll probably get something end of the week as a final announcement (although they've been known to announce some acts the week of the festival!) 

I'd love for them to have a secret set again, I think it could be someone like Blossoms if they're following a similar pattern to last year 

Would quite like to hear the feedback on Lewis Capaldi here. Know he's on top with Foals and Snow Patrol, but the fact his Manchester Castlefield Bowl show was yet to sell out as recently as yesterday has left me wondering if his trajectory is quite what I anticiapted.

Expect an Sing-style swing, a la Ed Sheeran, for the next record to recoup some pop popularity perhaps - or maybe he goes the route of Jake Bugg and becomes a perennial O2 Academy/lower end bill filler for the next decade.

19 hours ago, NorthernSoul52 said:

Would quite like to hear the feedback on Lewis Capaldi here. Know he's on top with Foals and Snow Patrol, but the fact his Manchester Castlefield Bowl show was yet to sell out as recently as yesterday has left me wondering if his trajectory is quite what I anticiapted.

Expect an Sing-style swing, a la Ed Sheeran, for the next record to recoup some pop popularity perhaps - or maybe he goes the route of Jake Bugg and becomes a perennial O2 Academy/lower end bill filler for the next decade.

He makes soulless soul music, an industry plant with nothing new to bring to the table. The fact that he's headlining latitude with only 45 minutes of songs is laughable. Hard to say whether his next songs will go down well or not but if his copy paste previous songs did any of his dross can.

I don't hold resentment for many artists but his constantly hailed unoriginal style bug me a bit.  

There was a post recently about the BBC Introducing stage/area which said 'Full lineup coming 10th July' - not sure if this is referring to that stage only or the whole thing? As they haven't announced any of the late night artists yet either which I'm keen to find out about 

36 minutes ago, FestivalFan64 said:

He makes soulless soul music, an industry plant with nothing new to bring to the table. The fact that he's headlining latitude with only 45 minutes of songs is laughable. Hard to say whether his next songs will go down well or not but if his copy paste previous songs did any of his dross can.

I don't hold resentment for many artists but his constantly hailed unoriginal style bug me a bit.  

I mean, Stormzy took a one album shot at the top of the Pyramid and aced it. Apples and oranges, of course, when it comes to Capaldi, but less inclined to write folk off these days than I used to be.

Will admit that I am not anticipating an all-time classic from the latter though - in fact, given their depth of singalongs, imagine Snow Patrol will also edge him.