Latitude 2022

Chapple12345

It looks like we've got the full Obelisk lineup, one more to be added on the Friday and Saturday of the Sounds Tent, and two more to be added on the Sunday of the Sunrise.

Interesting that the poster says "loads more music to be announced". They might just be saying that cause it rolls of the tongue quite nicely. But I hope there is some more decent music because announcing the day splits has done them no favours in terms of quality. We should get the Alcove announced at some point, unless Melvin and Co. continue to cull stages .

I'd like to see them bring back the Lake Stage for us musos. I think they removed the Solas as well in 2021, but to be honest, there wasn't much good stuff on there anyway.

21 minutes ago, Miyn said:

I'd like to see them bring back the Lake Stage for us musos. I think they removed the Solas as well in 2021, but to be honest, there wasn't much good stuff on there anyway.

I missed Solas last year, was always good for just popping along and finding something a bit different and the odd special guest appearance. The trailer park thing seems pretty pointless, had a quick look round it on the Thursday and didn't bother heading back.

I've made a clashfinder, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing:

https://clashfinder.com/m/latitude2022/

It's not perfect, as I'm going off previous years schedules. It's a bit awkward trying to figure it out, as it seems to change significantly each year. Some days have special guest slots which have longer than usual slots, some artists play smaller sets later in the day, and last year you even had comedy on the main stage. So I've done my best to come up with something that seems alright.

I wouldn't start completely planning your weekend around it, as some of the stages have slots to be filled. So I've stuck the gaps as TBA's at the start of each day. It'll give you a rough sense of what artists you'll see over the weekend, but if two of your favourite artists clash, e.g. Porridge Radio and KEG, I wouldn't worry about it too much as the TBA's will probably get moved to some other point during the day on that stage.

Edited by Miyn
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Miyn said:

I've made a clashfinder, if anyone's interested in that sort of thing:

https://clashfinder.com/m/latitude2022/

It's not perfect, as I'm going off previous years schedules. It's a bit awkward trying to figure it out, as it seems to change significantly each year. Some days have special guest slots which have longer than usual slots, some artists play smaller sets later in the day, and last year you even had comedy on the main stage. So I've done my best to come up with something that seems alright.

I wouldn't start completely planning your weekend around it, as some of the stages have slots to be filled. So I've stuck the gaps as TBA's at the start of each day. It'll give you a rough sense of what artists you'll see over the weekend, but if two of your favourite artists clash, e.g. Porridge Radio and KEG, I wouldn't worry about it too much as the TBA's will probably get moved to some other point during the day on that stage.

Yeah this is probably about right with most of these, great work! As you say they often swap slots around so it can vary from time to time, they can also randomly add acts to days seemingly full (I remember in 2018 the Friday was filled and then they added Belle and Sebastian as a sub). 

Looking over the days Friday is absolutely rammed for me, Saturday has a decent amount but Sunday is pretty low on acts until the evening but I know I'll have a great time when I'm there. Its definitely one of the weaker lineups they've had since I started going though. Hoping they'll add some more good comedy over the weekend as that's always one of my highlights 

• 1 month later...

Well, well, well. It's been a while since anyone posted here, but we've got some new names. They sent out an email but they haven't tweeted about it yet.

Alcove actually looks pretty class this year, I imagine I'll be in there a lot of the weekend, so you'll know where to find me.

Intrigued that one of my favourite bands at the moment, 'caroline', are down to play the Theatre Arena. I wonder how that will work, I don't think I went in there last year. They've sometimes played sort of in the round, where they play in the middle of the crowd with everyone standing around them. I'm guessing it might be something like that.

I'll try and post an image later, I'm on mobile right now.

Here's the lineup page so you can see for yourself: https://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up/

They've posted just the new names on twitter, but you'll have to go to the website for the updated poster at the moment.

LAT22_EYETEST-1200x2260.thumb.jpg.65b1e61075f83d979206527573b2a976.jpg

Edited by Miyn
Added the line-up poster.

Updated the clashfinder: https://clashfinder.com/m/latitude2022/

If you click on the A-Z of artists on the line-up page, and then click on the artist, you can see which day they're playing. Only on the music names though, it doesn't say for Comedy or anything else. So I've added the Alcove. I have no idea on the placements, but I based it off monthly Spotify listeners, which isn't a great metric but is probably better than alphabetical.

I saw this on Twitter, so I've put them as headlining the Alcove on the Saturday. It does seem really odd though, they've only got 761 monthly listeners, while someone else on that day (Briston Maroney) has 2,571,894 listeners. Sometimes the placings on that stage are a little random, but this seems crazy to me. I don't feel like they're going to be this year's Wet Leg (that's going to be Courting), so the tent might be a bit empty for them.

I think this announcement is great, some fantastic names and 'caroline' is a great surprise. The eFests Latitude experience definitely goes something like this:

Announcement 1: "This line-up is crap, Obelisk headliners are boring and the main stage is really weak."

Announcement 2: "It's still not great, but some more decent names, looking better than the first announcement."

Announcement 3: "There's actually some great stuff on there if you look below the top few lines, the line-up is coming together."

Last Announcement: "Line-up is overall actually really great, and I can fill a whole weekend of music and comedy that I'll enjoy."

I'm guilty of falling for it, even though it happens pretty much every year on here. But this announcement feels like a reward for waiting it out, and trusting that they'll book some great names. Obviously, I'm very happy with it, and glad I've got tickets.

Some really good additions in that latest roundup. caroline, courting, prima queen, opus kink, honeyglaze and tv priest certainly the highlights for me.

Getting slightly sadder at this being the first Latitude I've missed in ages after the first announcement really didn't leave me too sad about that. Back next year for sure though! 

Another small announcement seemingly gone under the radar. Watched William The Conqueror on the Thursday who were alright, they were the first set I saw so it probably didn't take much to impress me but I thought they were good. I don't recognise any of the other names on there.

I don't think there's as many eFesters going this year, compared to usual. It feels like there's about five people on here that actually have tickets, which is a shame as I think if you look below the top lines there's some decent stuff to watch. That Alcove line-up is pretty tasty and a run on Friday of: Porridge Radio > KEG > Opus Kink > Rina Sawayama / TV Priest > Courting > Modest Mouse > Melt Yourself Down / Caroline Polachek > Phoebe Bridgers, is honestly fantastic. The other days are a bit weaker in my opinion, but still some great stuff to see, and I can pad them out with a bit of comedy. The food is great, and the atmosphere is really nice as well as a beautiful site. So it's a bit sad that the music line-up has driven away a lot of the regulars. I'm sure everyone who has a ticket, including me, will have a great weekend. I'd love to get this forum a bit more active, as it's not the busiest at the moment. So if you've got a ticket, feel free to pop your head in and say hi and what you're most excited to see, music / comedy or whatever.

Interesting that they've put "Plus two top secret surprise performances" on the bottom of the Trailer Park announcement. We got Rick Astley there last year, which still amuses me. I didn't get any signal last year, so didn't hear about it or see it, but I imagine it would have been pretty funny / special if you managed to catch it. It almost certainly won't be anyone I'm interested in, but it's interesting that they've put it on the bill already. Instead of Rick Astley this year, maybe we'll get Mark Owen doing some Take That. I don't think we've got any room for secret sets on the BBC Sounds this year, which is unfortunate. I love that tent and although I don't really listen to them, I really enjoyed The Vaccines secret set last year and it was probably the only time the tent got to full capacity during the whole weekend. So it's a bit disappointing that we're most likely not going to get anything like that this year. They had Liam Gallagher in 2018, but I don't think they got anyone in 2019 either. It's only 73 days to go, so it won't be that long until we're back in Suffolk and in the grounds of Henham Park.

rsz_20210725_150742.thumb.jpg.fe9b20a6d659ebf0f73bd79eeab9d369.jpg

rsz_20210725_151027.thumb.jpg.ae25069dd0c48bc43da9b267f947afa0.jpg

Im very much looking forward to the weekend, I do think this is one of the weakest lineups they've had though. There aren't any standout acts I need to see this time (last few editions have had Killers, Lana Del Rey, Bastille and Wolf Alice I was desperate to see) but there are still some brilliant acts on the bill. I'm definitely excited for Foals, Phoebe Bridgers, Self Esteem, Shed Seven and Fontaines DC. Also I'm very excited for Aisling Bea, The Horne Section, Marcus Brigstocke and Sophie Duker on the comedy too. I definitely think they've changed their talent booker as they seem to have scrapped half the things that made last year so brilliant. I do wonder if they'll add a few more main stage acts as the Friday was seemingly full and they then added Alfie Templeman so there could be some good additions later on too.

I've been every year since I was 9 (bar 2013 and 2020) and its always one of the highlight of my year, even the weaker years I've gone I've absolutely loved. I'm also excited as my friend is coming for the Friday who's never been before so I'm excited to show him as he's only ever heard how much I love going 

They've updated the poster on the website: https://www.latitudefestival.com/line-up/

Lat22_LineUp_Eyetest_April_APPROVED.thumb.jpg.29150c1897e3000dbd61586ce5d8f7f9.jpg

There's only a couple of changes:

• Mickey Callisto only listed once on the BBC Sounds Stage, was twice before.
  • Josie Mann has been removed from The Alcove
  • Katie Harkin has been changed to Harkin

As well as Tribes now being listed as Tribe. I'm not sure what this will mean for them. Perhaps it might be Johnny Lloyd performing solo but playing Tribes songs. I'm sure he'd kill it, but it would be great to see the other boys from Tribes on the mainstage. I'm actually really looking forward to them. I heard about them from a poster who's no longer on here, and they're actually quite good. Can't wait to sing We Were Children with all the Tribes fans down the front.

Here's a clip of them playing: https://www.instagram.com/p/CXGDjkCgSuQ/

They look really happy to be back playing to people, and I think their set could be a highlight of the weekend. 

• Upvote 1

Discovered Matt Maltese recently. He supported Wolf Alice on their most recent tour, although not in Manchester which I went to. We got Lucia + The Best Boys who were fantastic, but listening to Matt Maltese, it sounds like he might have been just as good. His voice is fantastic, and his piano playing and backing band perfectly support the vocals without taking anything away from them. I've watched a couple of his videos of him playing live, and he sounds just like the record. He's playing on the Sunrise Arena on the Saturday, which I feel is the perfect setting. Some of the songs sound quite emotional and I feel like his set could be something really special.

A real highlight will be 'As The World Caves In'. It's captivating, and grabs your attention, and is a real shiver down your spine moment. I imagine the tent will be listening to hear his every note when he plays this one. If people join in and sing the chorus of this one, it could be an incredible moment. I'll almost certainly be there, and it's one of the acts I'm most looking forward to seeing at the moment.

8 hours ago, Miyn said:

Discovered Matt Maltese recently. He supported Wolf Alice on their most recent tour, although not in Manchester which I went to. We got Lucia + The Best Boys who were fantastic, but listening to Matt Maltese, it sounds like he might have been just as good. His voice is fantastic, and his piano playing and backing band perfectly support the vocals without taking anything away from them. I've watched a couple of his videos of him playing live, and he sounds just like the record. He's playing on the Sunrise Arena on the Saturday, which I feel is the perfect setting. Some of the songs sound quite emotional and I feel like his set could be something really special.

A real highlight will be 'As The World Caves In'. It's captivating, and grabs your attention, and is a real shiver down your spine moment. I imagine the tent will be listening to hear his every note when he plays this one. If people join in and sing the chorus of this one, it could be an incredible moment. I'll almost certainly be there, and it's one of the acts I'm most looking forward to seeing at the moment.

I saw Matt supporting Wolf Alice in London, very good. Perfect for the Sunrise Arena 🙂 

My first time heading to latitude this year, volunteering as a steward to keep costs down.

Although the lineup isn’t fantastic imo I’m sure I’ll really enjoy it, some standouts for me include Fontaine’s DC, Matt Maltese ( saw him recently supporting wolf alice, curl up and die and as the world caves in are fantastic tracks), little simz, Rina Sawayama and Alfie templeman. But I’m sure I’ll be discovering loads of new music as always with festivals.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, E_A said:

My first time heading to latitude this year, volunteering as a steward to keep costs down.

Although the lineup isn’t fantastic imo I’m sure I’ll really enjoy it, some standouts for me include Fontaine’s DC, Matt Maltese ( saw him recently supporting wolf alice, curl up and die and as the world caves in are fantastic tracks), little simz, Rina Sawayama and Alfie templeman. But I’m sure I’ll be discovering loads of new music as always with festivals.

Nice!

I've heard it's one of the best to volunteer at as a steward. It's a great atmosphere and site, and there aren't as many troublemakers compared to somewhere like Reading or Leeds. There's lots of hidden gems on the line-up for me, I wasn't really a fan of it when it came out, but now I've listened to some of the artists lower down on the bill, I think it's pretty great. I'll probably be at Matt Maltese and almost certainly at Little Simz, could also be tempted to see Rina as well. I think it's a great festival for discovering new music, as they book some great new bands, and the stages are quite close together, so if you're not feeling a certain band or artist you can always pop in and see what's going on elsewhere. I discovered loads of new artists last year, and I've got quite a few on my list to catch this year. I've heard a lot of good reviews for Matt Maltese, so him playing on the Sunrise Arena, which has a great feel, will be really special I think.

If you've got any questions or queries about Latitude, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them for you. I don't have any experience with volunteering, but I think I'm fairly knowledgeable about Latitude, or could at least point you in the right direction for an answer. 

Shame that this forum isn't very busy at the moment. I've heard that ticket sales are slow this year, don't know how true that is? I think it's to be expected though, last year was a really epic year imo. With lots of other festivals cancelled I think it attracted a good crowd, my favourite lineup yet and great vibes due to everyone coming out of lockdown. This year I'm not surprised to see a dip in attendance (if that is the case) as people give other festivals a go now that they're open again.

I'd rather see Lewis Capaldi on the comedy stage to be honest, him and Snow Patrol are going to send me to sleep. But that's fine, early night with the kids for a change. 

I'm excited for Foals and Kae Tempest as I think I might miss them due to clashes at Glastonbury. Groove Armada will be epic, gutted they're clashing with Foals. Don't know what I'm going to do! Other than those, we're just planning to throw ourselves into the kids activities this year and see what happens... getting all the adult raving out of the way at Glasto so plan to chill at Latitude.

Trailer Park was disappointing last year, the area looked absolutely stunning in the woods. Great spot for it, but it wasn't anywhere near as interactive as it was in 2019 and a lot of the stuff was just the same. Would be good to see some new entries/stuff in there this year.

Loved the spiritual area last year!! Good move, earth dancing was fun

Still looking forward to it, I hope the energy and buzz around it picks up soon x

Yeah Latitude is always great for new discoveries, this year I'm really liking Rina Sawayama, Larkin Poe and Caroline Polachek. I think whoever booked this year really failed to capitalise on last year's lineup and has gone for a proper mish mash that doesn't know what it wants to be. I'm very much looking forward to it though, we're probably due the last few music and comedy announcements soon too which could have a few fun additions

Being talked about in the Glasto thread so worth sharing here. The Smile have been announced for APE and the wording implies they will play another festival. It reads "Only uk festival announced to date"

They are busy over most of glasto so that feels pretty unlikely. The last tour dates currently are 20 July in Italy so very much active and free for Latitude. Given Thom has played solo a couple of times before seems possible they will be there. 

Which would be fantastic. 

12 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Being talked about in the Glasto thread so worth sharing here. The Smile have been announced for APE and the wording implies they will play another festival. It reads "Only uk festival announced to date"

They are busy over most of glasto so that feels pretty unlikely. The last tour dates currently are 20 July in Italy so very much active and free for Latitude. Given Thom has played solo a couple of times before seems possible they will be there. 

Which would be fantastic. 

Quoting so people over here can see what's going on. Discussion was happening on this thread: 

This is the tweet people are talking about, apparently it's the same wording on the email as well:

All Points East usually bloody love an exclusive, and try and bill acts as such when they are. They've listed Nick Cave and Tame Impala as UK exclusives this year, so the wording is a little odd.

12 hours ago, Miyn said:

Is there space at Latitude? I've got a ticket so I'd love them to play, but it feels like they've announced the majority of the lineup by now, so I'd be ecstatic but suprised to see them announced. I don't think they'll play Latitude, but if they are, you can bet I'll be down the front.

10 hours ago, glimmers_of_hope said:

Well,  I think the obilisk stage on friday it looks like there are 8 acts and on Saturday and Sunday there are 7 acts so it would be possible that there is space. Don't know, 

There is also the waterfront stage which isn't yet programmed.  Last year that's where Damon Albarn played and that was announced a few weeks before the festival (although it was just him and a piano so not a big setup on a small stage).

Yeah, due to the addition of Alfie Templeman on the Friday, we've got 8 acts that day and 7 acts the other two on the Obelisk. Shed Seven are billed as a "Special Guests" slot on the Saturday, so will probably be given a longer set time. But Sunday wouldn't be ruled out, although they'd look really out of place.

If they're doing a set, I think it most likely won't be on the Obelisk. Waterfront Stage is a good shout though, although I think his solo stuff is a bit shit, Damon Albarn was really popular last year. Could potentially see them putting an act for the musos on the Waterfront again this year. Albarn was in a big band in the 90's, and is now doing a solo project making depressing music. So if we carry that pattern on, The Smile perfectly fit the bill.

Sons of Kemet headlined the BBC Sounds Stage last year on the Sunday, the band that Tom Skinner drums in. Let's hope he had a fantastic time and told Thom and Jonny that they had to come and play this year. I'd absolutely love to see it.

26 minutes ago, stereodista said:

Albarn is also still in a band that’s big enough to headline APE, Primavera, and play multiple nights at The O2…

Yeah, I was jokingly commenting on the similarity between Albarn and The Smile. As in Albarn was in Blur, and is making depressing music as a solo project. As well as Thom and Jonny being in Radiohead and also making depressing music as a solo project. But to be fair, Radiohead were never really upbeat.

I wonder if Gorillaz would ever get booked to headline, they seem the right sort of size and Albarn seems to have a good relationship with the festival. Also not many places for them to play in the UK, played Boardmasters last year, and are playing APE this year. I don't think they're likely to be at Glastonbury for the foreseeable future, they won't be given a headline spot, and probably don't want to take an Other headline slot.