Dusty Hill rip

crocodiles

I met someone I knew, but wasn't close to, a billion years after I first knew him. I recall the occasion well. Anyway, to cut a long story short I asked him (or he told me - I know not which right now) what he'd been up to. His response was that he'd been, and still was, a roadie for ZZ Top, and that he was only there because of Mick. and wasn't that the very reason that I was there too. It was Mick and his twin sister's (Rochelle) 50oth birthday at a rugby club in the middle of fucking nowhere. 

Anyway, it was meant to be fancy dress. Some people went for it, and some people didn't. I'd say, on reflection that the people who didn't bother were actually in the majority. 

However, there was one person, and I mean only one person, who went 'all the way' on the fancy dress front. Fuck knows why he did it, but he did. He had, earlier that day (quite early in the day, as the birthday celebrations started at 5pm) gone to a hairdresser and asked for a certain haircut. Later he donned his fancy dress costume - a quality brown monks robe and rope belt, complete with hood. Well, you know what's coming next - he arrived with hood on his monk's robe and then unveiuled his own bonce whebn he had his first pint (from that venue) in his hand. He had gone for 'The Friar Tuck' look! Not an easy thing to write or even say in this condition! 

Apparently the hairdresser was stunned. However, she saw an opportunity, and put all the detail of his 'haircut' on her website. 

I'm rambling. I'm rambling and I've just realised that I need to communicate with somebody important to me.

• Upvote 1

First became aware of them because of the Back to the Future III soundtrack when the film came out in 1990 when I was about 8 years old, the song 'Doubleback' was used on it, ZZ Top also had a cameo in the film.

Thought they were pretty cool and as it turned out my Dad had a couple of their albums on vinyl.

Like many others, watched them at Glastonbury 2016, and I don't know why I always thought they were a lot older than they were...72 is no age these days.

RIP.

4 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Holy fuck. RIP.

So glad we got ZZ at Glastonbury (something I still think was due to an eFests campaign) and they put on an absolute party. Special afternoon that.

Their documentary is on Netflix UK for anyone feeling like it. Legendary band with a great story.

Will definitely give that a view . Really enjoyed their afternoon set back in 2016