Godiva 2021

Padjeq

The UK's biggest free 3 day festival is back in Coventry - although following the success of 2019 it now costs £12.50 for a weekend ticket.

https://www.godivafestival.com/

Announced last week, and tickets on sale as of yesterday morning, we're getting a short-booked festival that could potentially be (almost) great for (almost) no cost.

Announced so far:

Craig David's TS5 headlining the saturday night.

A confident booking from the rewind man, given he's doing back to back nights at Birmingham's arenas next April.

I've seen some great acts at past events, often bands on their way up (Slaves) or down (Funeral for a Friend before the split that made them so in demand) and other acts meandering between successes (Biffy Clyro, Don Broco). They get some acts that don't seem to be on anyone else's bill too. 2019 saw the Sugarhill Gang/Furious Five supergroup, who knew exactly how to control that sort of mixed family type crowd. Then there's ska favourites like The Beat, The Selecter and Neville Staple. There's also traditionally a lot of landfill indie, but we all collectively forget that.

Covid wise they're not asking for covid passports or proof of a negative test, but instead asking people to check in using Test and Trace.

Edited by Padjeq

• 2 weeks later...

Was hoping for Supergrass having seen Gaz Coombes headline the tent a couple of years ago. Great booking.

Sister Sledge are the sunday headliner. They top the bill at the £40 a day Birmingham Pride a week later.

Was hoping I didn't have to do all 3 days, but now I definitely am.

10 hours ago, thetime said:

Supergrass a really good booking for Godiva. 1st one I'm going to miss for a while, as got weekend fests week before and weekend after godiva. 

I feel your pain...got Beautiful Days 2 weeks before and Camper Calling the week before...think I'll just about manage the Friday night at Godiva then hibernating until Bearded Theory May 2022!

16 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

It says on the website the site only opens at 6pm on the Friday...can anybody remember from previous years if thats right?? Could have sworn we were there all afternoon in previous years...maybe not

Dunno if it's always 6pm, but it was never a daytime affair on a friday. I've never had to even think about taking a day off work in the decade I've been going.

3 new acts. Pretty cool

Probably better suited to the tent and it's actual atmosphere(rip), but I'll take what I can get. Last time I saw Dream Wife was in Coventry library. It was a saturday night, and halloween, and the spookiest thing in the world happened: there was no alcohol.

We weren't even pre-warned it'd just be foil topped cans of San Pellegrino, so I came in on a 3 pint head start. True horror was known that night.

Edited by Padjeq

59 minutes ago, Padjeq said:

3 new acts. Pretty cool

Probably better suited to the tent and it's actual atmosphere(rip), but I'll take what I can get. Last time I saw Dream Wife was in Coventry library. It was a saturday night, and halloween, and the spookiest thing in the world happened: there was no alcohol.

We weren't even pre-warned it'd just be foil topped cans of San Pellegrino, so I came in on a 3 pint head start. True horror was known that night.

Big Joanie are fantastic...well worth catching

Friday

Main Stage

Supergrass

Therapy?

Candid

Saturday

Main Stage

Craig David's Nintendo DS

Sophie Ellis Bextor

Steel Banglez

The Selecter

Zuzu

Nova Twins

Big Joanie

Dream Wife

Roddy Radiation and the Skabilly Rebels

Macka B

Second Stage

General Levy

Standard Procedure

2 hours of Eclipse DJs

Sunday

Main Stage

Sister Sledge

Fun Lovin Criminals

Panjabi MC

David Rodigan

Current line-up. Nothing for second stage friday or sunday yet.

• 3 weeks later...