When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

7 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It spreads everywhere. Other than outdoor/indoor it's no worse one place than anywhere else.

But the perception is that places that were closed were places where it was more dangerous. Not true. Places that were closed were those the government thought could be closed by causing the least "damage".

But then you get people taking the opposite approach "it doesn't spread in gyms" or "no evidence of it spreading in schools". Of course it does. Gyms are not special. It doesn't spread more there than anywhere else. But that doesn't mean it doesn't spread. It spreads everywhere. Decent chance I picked it up from the chemist when I got my booster!

Yeah that about sums it up. I think many have the idea that they won't catch it if they don't go to the pub, but fail to make the connection that the close contact with the people you're at the pub with is surely the likeliest way you'll catch it. Then they just invite them round their house as an alternative.

Like I'm aware that it's less risk to go out with the girlfriend for some food as we'll be sat around a table on our own vs meeting a group of friends and sitting at the table with them for a couple of hours. Not that it matters now - we were only bothering being careful so we could go to Wolf Alice next week and that's off now!! 

57 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Avoid the Gym...  sounds like a really good health message...

It just shows the lack of joined up thinking we've had from this government and sage through the entire pandemic. The average age of death before vaccines was 81 and that increased to 85 afterwards.

How many obese 80 year olds do you see walking about? A sedentary lifestyle becomes an issue way before covid for the overwhelming majority.

Largest increase in childhood obesity in history during the lockdown apparently and I wouldn't be surprised if that's matched in the general population.

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah that about sums it up. I think many have the idea that they won't catch it if they don't go to the pub, but fail to make the connection that the close contact with the people you're at the pub with is surely the likeliest way you'll catch it. Then they just invite them round their house as an alternative.

Like I'm aware that it's less risk to go out with the girlfriend for some food as we'll be sat around a table on our own vs meeting a group of friends and sitting at the table with them for a couple of hours. Not that it matters now - we were only bothering being careful so we could go to Wolf Alice next week and that's off now!! 

Im probably different but I'm resigned to catching it several times, so i may as well do the stuff i enjoy rather than stress out about hiding away from exposure. 

10 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Im probably different but I'm resigned to catching it several times, so i may as well do the stuff i enjoy rather than stress out about hiding away from exposure. 

We're the same usually, just picking our battles with the isolation rules, like if it'd been on Wolf Alice on my birthday weekend next week would've been well worth not going to the local this coming weekend, however good the burgers are even with the lower risk of it just being the two of us 

So I guess I'm mildly doing what I'm annoyed at others for doing, but more for dodging potential isolation than being worried about the virus. 

It's a weird weird time 

Edited by efcfanwirral

19 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Are today's death figures including other days' too? Seems quite high if not? I know yesterday's did because Monday was a bank holiday but unsure about today. 

They're generally a bit of a mess at the moment still because of Christmas and New Year, all sorts of weird backlogs and reporting issues still. It'll take a few more days for it to straighten out.

18 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

Are today's death figures including other days' too? Seems quite high if not? I know yesterday's did because Monday was a bank holiday but unsure about today. 

It looks to be that way- date reported (which is the headline figure each day) is way patchier than dates of recorded deaths and that’s probably exacerbated by Christmas and New Years. https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

8 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

I thought the whole "close proximity" thing had been discredited and the thinking now is around air transmission that can travel quite long distances indoors if there's poor ventilation.

So I think you're wrong, and that being inside in a restaurant full of people at other tables a few metres away is way more dangerous than having a couple round and sitting right next to them.

8 hours ago, zahidf said:

I think if you're triple vaccinated (can't remember if you are, I think so?), then that's pretty reasonable. Getting infected with a milder variant when you have a highly primed immune system is probably a safe way to get super charged for the next variant - which may not be as mild. Alpha+Delta were slightly more severe than the OG COVID-19. If it spreads before it kills you, there's no evolutionary pressure for it to get milder.

From a Welsh perspective I’m furious this evening. No changes to restrictions which have shown to have had no positive effect. A prominent Welsh professor (Cardiff Uni) in diseases calling on Drakeford to fall in line with England today. The clown shot the advice down dead. I’ve come to the conclusion that Drakeford is for more of a danger to health and wellbeing of the people of Wales than Omicron will ever be.

Edited by TheSheriff
Typo

6 hours ago, JoeyT said:

Drakeford and Sturgeon in the mud 🥴

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Its all entirely political. 

For the vast majority of this pandemic, Scotland's infection & death rates have been lower than England's. Apparently that is because of demographic & geographical reasons.

On the odd occasions they are higher, it suddenly becomes the fault of the SNP.

Sorry, I can't speak for Wales.

1 hour ago, LJS said:

For the vast majority of this pandemic, Scotland's infection & death rates have been lower than England's. Apparently that is because of demographic & geographical reasons.

On the odd occasions they are higher, it suddenly becomes the fault of the SNP.

Sorry, I can't speak for Wales.

So.... you're saying Scotland should ban gigs and crowds at sports events for the next 3 weeks 

• Upvote 1

I’ve never been in the forces so this may be an ignorant thing to say but given there are no other active duties to be had currently surely this is a common sense move and not actually that bad? Unless of course you’re of the mindset we’re going to be invaded because of it 🤔

1 hour ago, JoeyT said:

I’ve never been in the forces so this may be an ignorant thing to say but given there are no other active duties to be had currently surely this is a common sense move and not actually that bad? Unless of course you’re of the mindset we’re going to be invaded because of it 🤔

That's hilarious. Deploying loads of troops to London where the invading force would have to go...

On the covid issue though, Johnson not being "dismissive" - does that mean hard lockdown til the variant goes away? Because that's never going to happen?

France is allowing asymptotic healthcare workers to goto work. Maybe we should try that?

It does seem to be an issue around workers isolating rather than how bad omicron is. I can't think anyone can throw the underfunded accusation at the French healthcare system.

43 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Wonder how likely it is Johnson will be forced to resign over this flat/donor issue? Would have a direct impact on our covid response and would probably lead to immediate restrictions with Gove

Unless the Parliamentary Conservative Party magically turn into Covid Hawks and elect a replacement accordingly I don’t think that’s a realistic prospect.

He won’t resign from this flat stuff, and even if he did he’d be far more likely to be replaced by Liz Truss or Rish the Dish, neither of whom advocate further restrictions.