Jump to content

When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others


crazyfool1
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

I don't agree with much of what that lot – which you still have this utterly deranged frothing-at-the-mouth hate boner for – say, but the issue of race, privilege and class intersects deeply with the amount of destruction this virus has caused in this country and it's reductive to sneer and be like "LOL look at her calling everyone racist".

Part of the problem was absolutely the disconnect between those in power making decisions – overwhelmingly white and wealthy or who represent the interests of that class – with the living and social conditions of much of the country's different communities, lots of whom live on the fringes or in their own bubble. There was no concerted, joined up thinking to address why certain places, and therefore certain communities, were hit so badly, and no bespoke solutions about how to connect with them and assist. It will probably never be truly acknowleged by those up top or fixed in time for whatever disaster hits next, leaving them vulnerable yet again, so she absolutely has a point.

I agree with this but wasn't that lady one of the ones supporting total lockdowns? We know poor lifestyle choices with regards to diet, exercise, drinking, smoking create the underlying health conditions that this virus seems to love and those lifestyle issues occur at much higher levels in poorer communities. These communities had much lower life expectancies before covid turned up and now covid is really just part of the list of things that may kill them at a younger age.

The thing with the lockdown is it apparently created 1 million extra alcoholics in this country and alcohol was already killing more people than covid last year. Chris Whitty has commented that smoking will also kill more people than covid and during lockdown apparently the number of new young smokers increased for the first time in years. This is before we discuss how closing the gyms and getting everyone to sit on their sofas for months on end will have affected obesity levels. 

The fact that poorer people die at a much younger age is a scandal but I don't see how she has any solutions for it if its just to go zero covid like New Zealand.

 

Edited by lost
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

 

They are all at it

While I don't think we need to go fully hard with it now, doing nothing at all with winter coming up means at some point we'll be fucked and have to bring in harsher measures. It's like watching 2020 all over again - wherever you are in September will inevitably get worse as winter goes on just for normal respiratory illness season reasons. And we're starting from a pretty poor position, whether or not it's going down  for the past few days

If the NHS is that precarious, then it surely calls for action now 

That Guardian article has some sensible quotes- do some light touch stuff pre-emptively and you might avoid the inevitable. 

So instead of just some less disruptive stuff, we're probably going to end up with some harsher measures 

Ive got a feeling Christmas mixing is going to give us weeks or even months of lockdown if we don't get on top of things before they get too bad and mitigate them beforehand. Not worth it for me but I guess it's different for those with kids. 

Edited by efcfanwirral
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

While I don't think we need to go fully hard with it now, doing nothing at all with winter coming up means at some point we'll be fucked and have to bring in harsher measures. It's like watching 2020 all over again - wherever you are in September will inevitably get worse as winter goes on just for normal respiratory illness season reasons. And we're starting from a pretty poor position, whether or not it's going down  for the past few days

If the NHS is that precarious, then it surely calls for action now 

That Guardian article has some sensible quotes- do some light touch stuff pre-emptively and you might avoid the inevitable. 

So instead of just some less disruptive stuff, we're probably going to end up with some harsher measures 

Ive got a feeling Christmas mixing is going to give us weeks or even months of lockdown if we don't get on top of things before they get too bad and mitigate them beforehand. Not worth it for me but I guess it's different for those with kids. 

But the article ruins it by saying we'd get 7000 hospitalisations a day by next month. After already being wrong about 100-300k infections a day by now. 

It's the boy who cried wolf. Why believe them now cases are going down without mitigations?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Part of me doesn’t really care if there’s another lockdown this year. I won’t be following it anyway and there’s zero chance of enforcement being ramped up. 
 

Obviously it’s a fucking horrendous idea that will cause far more damage than it will stop but if the government do try to lock us down again I’ll be sticking two fingers up at them and ignoring it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

It does, though. It's all very well "living with the virus" and having "acceptable deaths" when you're a vaccinated white collar worker who keeps on top of news but the fact is that – for example – a huge portion of the midlands and the north is full of immigrant families working in cramped factories that every labour law under the sun, then living in cramped conditions at home, and not engaging with English language media or accessing healthcare information in the way even working class white people here might. There's countless closed-off communities up and down the country: Bangladeshi, Somali, Jewish, everything. The fact that during the first couple of waves the government went "hmm I wonder why these highly populated immigrant areas are getting hit so badly!!! it's a mystery!!!!" and not creating any powerful grassroots solutions for that was criminal and had everything to do with race and privilege and turning a blind eye to deeper issues. There was every chance to create targeted fixes for this and just they didn't bother.

The fact is that a huge portion of these acceptable deaths from now on are going to be first or second generation immigrants because of a combination of vaccine/authority skepticism, multi-generational shitty living conditions and poverty, existing health conditions not being addressed, and simply not accessing the same messaging in the same way the rest of the country do.

So what’s your solution then? Wuhan style lockdown and close the borders until it’s eradicated? That’s what Deepti wants.

 

 

It’s time to start living with it. Risks have been pulled so low by the vaccine and frankly if people express “skepticism” and go on to die of covid then it’s no ones problem but their own. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, zahidf said:

But the article ruins it by saying we'd get 7000 hospitalisations a day by next month. After already being wrong about 100-300k infections a day by now. 

It's the boy who cried wolf. Why believe them now cases are going down without mitigations?

Yeah the crazy projections don't help. They aren't even needed really - they're not asking for anything crazy and genuinely seem to be trying to head off potential future problems, whereas the government seems to be sleepwalking into them. 

Maybe their measures suggested don't go far enough, but as a pre-emptive measure what if they're right that little things will make a big difference? Just feels like its worth a try instead of doing nothing until its really bad and unstoppable again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

So what’s your solution then? Wuhan style lockdown and close the borders until it’s eradicated? That’s what Deepti wants.

 

 

It’s time to start living with it. Risks have been pulled so low by the vaccine and frankly if people express “skepticism” and go on to die of covid then it’s no ones problem but their own. 

Appreciate the petty downvote after I'd explained about the deeper issues with race, fantastic to see you've not changed a single bit since you cluttered up the original thread.

Can't really be arsed engaging any more as I'm going to leave you all to hate-w*nk over whatever Fake Sage have posted this past hour but no, a Wuhan style lockdown is obviously not the solution in any case.

Edited by jannybruck
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Yeah the crazy projections don't help. They aren't even needed really - they're not asking for anything crazy and genuinely seem to be trying to head off potential future problems, whereas the government seems to be sleepwalking into them. 

Maybe their measures suggested don't go far enough, but as a pre-emptive measure what if they're right that little things will make a big difference? Just feels like its worth a try instead of doing nothing until its really bad and unstoppable again

I think people disagree about mandatory masks (especially for kids) to be a minor thing....

I see fake SAGE are saying that we need to wait for how we go once university goes back

 

..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think people disagree about mandatory masks (especially for kids) to be a minor thing....

I see fake SAGE are saying that we need to wait for how we go once university goes back

 

..

Itll be universities... then half-term getaway... then Halloween.... then Guy Fawkes... the Christmas... then New Year... just endless circles of waiting until theyre right about something 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just reading a survey release I've been sent for work. Find it baffling. What is actually wrong with some people?!

Since the hospitality sector reopened one in seven (14%) people have not turned up to their reservation, with one in eight (12%) people saying they are more likely to no-show than they were before the pandemic.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Just reading a survey release I've been sent for work. Find it baffling. What is actually wrong with some people?!

Since the hospitality sector reopened one in seven (14%) people have not turned up to their reservation, with one in eight (12%) people saying they are more likely to no-show than they were before the pandemic.

Literally a phone call even as late as half an hour before would help.

Heard some horror stories from friends in the industry. I think quite a few places round here that normally take bookings stopped doing so this summer. But it's been so busy around here they could and know they'd fill tables anyway. Shit for customers who want to plan though. 

We've not been too affected by it. We don't take bookings for the restaurant and we have credit card details (or they've prepaid) for accommodation. There's been the occasional no show where they've blocked or cancelled the credit card but no more then usual and very low numbers

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Good - looking forward to seeing a lot of these testing companies going out of business.
 

A lot of people who pre bought tests in advance are going to be pissed mind.

If any ministers speak out against this move then we know who's got ties to those companies 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share




×
×
  • Create New...