When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

crazyfool1

Seems to vary a lot depending on location. Been in Manchester the last couple of days and it's a lot lower than at home. Still in the minority at home, but a fair few still wearing them.

Was in the Trafford Centre today (must be at least 10 years since last time. Hopefully at least another 10 until next time. Horrific place). Absolutely packed and I'd be surprised if the number of mask wearers I saw hit double figures. 

20 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Masks wearers definitely in the strong minority now.  

Depends what shop you go in. 

Go in Waitrose and it’s full of middle class work from homers who still think they’re saving the nhs by wearing a bit of cut up T-shirt on their face. 
Go in most other supermarkets and its just a few of the elderly shoppers still not comfortable taking their mask off. 

5 hours ago, BobWillis2 said:

Depends what shop you go in. 

Go in Waitrose and it’s full of middle class work from homers who still think they’re saving the nhs by wearing a bit of cut up T-shirt on their face. 
Go in most other supermarkets and its just a few of the elderly shoppers still not comfortable taking their mask off. 

Yeah the supermarket by my dad's is a bit more older people so that's reflected in the mask wearing being a little higher than elsewhere. Same with my bus into Liverpool yesterday, was mainly just older people. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

I have to say I find mask optional England confusing, almost everywhere still has signs requesting mask wearing but inside the level of mask wearing varies wildly. Surely if a shop or museum or whatever is asking you to wear a mask then it's a dickish thing to not follow the request?

On the other hand if there is a sign on the door but inside not a single customer or staff member is wearing one then following the instruction feels really odd.

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

I have to say I find mask optional England confusing, almost everywhere still has signs requesting mask wearing but inside the level of mask wearing varies wildly. Surely if a shop or museum or whatever is asking you to wear a mask then it's a dickish thing to not follow the request?

On the other hand if there is a sign on the door but inside not a single customer or staff member is wearing one then following the instruction feels really odd.

We still have signs up saying you must wear masks. We've not had any updated ones sent out since it changed so imagine we're just leaving the ones we have up until we don't need signs at all. 

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

Companies seemingly want to be seen to be doing "the right thing" while clearly not caring.

Sainsbury made a big thing about saying they still expected people to wear them.  I went this morning  - not one member of staff had them on and about 25% of customers.  Meanwhile they play announcements asking you to wear a mask to protect their staff.

What am I to make of that ?

The reality is its optional everywhere and everyone knows and accepts this.  

16 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

We still have signs up saying you must wear masks. We've not had any updated ones sent out since it changed so imagine we're just leaving the ones we have up until we don't need signs at all. 

And do you in reality enforce this ? Or is it just a sign for the sake of a sign in reality?  Do you guys wear masks ?  Genuine questions.

Edited by Barry Fish

6 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

In my local Morrisons most people are still wearing masks but I guess that's because they're all a bunch of idiot bastards or something.

No one believes you stevie.  Go troll fray back in the politics forum

Edited by Barry Fish

56 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

And do you in reality enforce this ? Or is it just a sign for the sake of a sign in reality?  Do you guys wear masks ?  Genuine questions.

No enforcement, no. Even even it was compulsory we only went so far on that. 

I don't wear a mask for the most part. If I have to go in to a fairly crowded space (eg the self catering kitchen) then I might. More because some guests clearly prefer wearing them and others around them wearing them. As I said before, we seem to have an amazing ability to not catch it at my work. 

Some staff wear them. Bar staff mostly, when they are taking food and drink too customers. 

Some guests wear masks, some don't. Some ask if they have to. I always say that company policy is to recommend wearing inside but it's entirely your choice.

We get the odd online comment or questionnaire response complaining about lack of enforcement, but much less these days. 

To be honest, for all we've done and can do, if you are still that worried about covid then maybe a busy youth hostel isn't that right place for you. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, philipsteak said:

No enforcement, no. Even even it was compulsory we only went so far on that. 

I don't wear a mask for the most part. If I have to go in to a fairly crowded space (eg the self catering kitchen) then I might. More because some guests clearly prefer wearing them and others around them wearing them. As I said before, we seem to have an amazing ability to not catch it at my work. 

Some staff wear them. Bar staff mostly, when they are taking food and drink too customers. 

Some guests wear masks, some don't. Some ask if they have to. I always say that company policy is to recommend wearing inside but it's entirely your choice.

We get the odd online comment or questionnaire response complaining about lack of enforcement, but much less these days. 

To be honest, for all we've done and can do, if you are still that worried about covid then maybe a busy youth hostel isn't that right place for you. 

All sounds entirely reasonable.

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

To comment a little further...

I would find it bizarre and troubling now to enter a premises and be told its an absolute requirement to wear a mask.  Given its a no longer a legal requirement and we have always had exemptions to the rule anyway - I don't think a venue / shop could realistically go about enforcing it. 

I think the messaging and expectations of a consumer should fit the reality of the situation.

Making a request for people to still wear a mask if they feel comfortable doing so feels to me to be entirely reasonable.

Its clear to me the majority of business / employees and consumers are happy to go without masks.  I have seen the trends describe above by others but I think if you put it all together there is a clear appetite by the majority to move on now.  I agree with you slightly it can still be confusing - the youth hostel messaging above being a good example - I am pretty sure there are not many people in England right now that expect others to wear masks.  I am sure there is a bigger percentage of people would like others to wear masks - but that isn't the same as expect.  So in reality its not really confusing on the average joe.  We don't expect to wear masks anywhere now (Medical locations / Airplanes being the exceptions).

4 hours ago, mcshed said:

Supermarket and bar staff have completely dropped the mask where I am. I went out clubbing last night and they didn’t even ask for proof of test or vaccination.

12 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Supermarket and bar staff have completely dropped the mask where I am. I went out clubbing last night and they didn’t even ask for proof of test or vaccination.

What country is that in? Are they supposed to still where you are?

Edited by efcfanwirral

Vaccinating under 12s is getting weird and political now...

JCVI press conference cancelled on Friday and apparently decision being announced now as part of next Mondays yippee ki yay motherfucker press conference.

Its rumoured the JCVI are saying there is no health benefit to vaccinating kids and should be offered on a optional basis - no doubt to enable travel.  Be interesting to see what Boris spins that into...

Edited by Barry Fish

19 hours ago, mcshed said:

It's signs not being removed. I still see signs in loads of places for 2m social distancing. I still see one-way arrows in supermarkets. I don't know if it's people not wanting to remove them because they're worried they might become necessary again, or just plain laziness. 

Which does make it problematic as I don't know which establishments would actually like me to wear a mask and which haven't bothered to take down their signs. I generally just base it on what the staff are doing at this point.

On 1/14/2022 at 9:33 PM, BobWillis2 said:

Plan B gone by the end of the month and isolation and mass testing need to be gone by the end of April. Any further doses should be akin to the flu jab, free for over 50’s and the vulnerable. Everyone else has to pay and no discrimination between how many anyone has had. 

Let’s end this horrible chapter and hope others follow suit. 

Ahead of schedule. Just the jabs to go. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-60394709

Covid in Wales: All five to 11-year olds offered jabs

She told Senedd members: "We're not going to do that as a matter of urgency, as we did over the Christmas period."

But we are going to play the usual games of trying to do the opposite of Boris lol 

10 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

They went weeks ago. I’m talking about anyone under 50 being offered them regularly for free. 

Oh okay - I think that isn't a great ask to be honest.  Really need the JCVI and experts to rule on that one to be honest.  The strategy of giving kids and older people the flu vaccine is a sound one for multiple reasons and I can see a similar end outcome for the covid vaccine.  In fact I imagine it will be combined with the a flu vaccine into a  sniff style format (the current child flu vaccine delivery mechanism) very soon so we kill two birds with one stone. 

Edited by Barry Fish

8 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh okay - I think that isn't a great ask to be honest.  Really need the JCVI and experts to rule on that one to be honest.  The strategy of giving kids and older people the flu vaccine is a sound one for multiple reasons and I can see a similar end outcome for the covid vaccine.  In fact I imagine it will be combined with the a flu vaccine into a  sniff style format (the current child flu vaccine delivery mechanism) very soon so we kill two birds with one stone. 

Kids get the flu jab because it’s a virus they’re vulnerable to. They’re not vulnerable to covid. 

The only possibly reason to vaccinate children is because other countries are over zealous and it effects travel rules. I would hope the JCVI stand firm and base their decision purely on the science and not the politics. There is very, very little if not nothing to be gained in vaccinating children from a health perspective. 

Same with anybody healthy under the age of 50. If you want one then pay for it, but the days of mass vaccination should be over. 

11 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Kids get the flu jab because it’s a virus they’re vulnerable to. They’re not vulnerable to covid. 

The only possibly reason to vaccinate children is because other countries are over zealous and it effects travel rules. I would hope the JCVI stand firm and base their decision purely on the science and not the politics. There is very, very little if not nothing to be gained in vaccinating children from a health perspective. 

Same with anybody healthy under the age of 50. If you want one then pay for it, but the days of mass vaccination should be over. 

We vaccinate children to help stop the spread to grand parents.  Kids are no more at danger from flu than they are from covid.  Makes them ill but no real difference between  the two risk wise.

Apparently jcvi advice is to vaccinate children - just not urgently.

Edited by Barry Fish
  • Upvote 1

• Neil locked this topic