When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

crazyfool1

So it turns out deaths with covid on the certificate is also shown on the dashboard, so is unlinked to testing status and that looks on a generally OK trajectory. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Didn't even know they reported that one - thats surely the most accurate of the measures? And maybe that should be the one used on front pages....

Cases will look silly, and there's a bit of an unknown about hospitalisations and ICU numbers, though it could explain the drop in ventilation with covid numbers recently. That's probably the only thing that could derail it - if a lot of reinfected are in ICU

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Tbh I really don’t understand covid at all. My gf had it in December and I didn’t get it despite the fact we share a one bed flat. In contrast one of my pals got delta in December and then after a new year house party caught omicron in early January which is mental imo. 

I was watching a guy on youtube called Dr Zubin Damania who has a debunking channel and he said alot has to do with the state of your immune system at the time.

Its basically a combination of your anti-bodies and the strength of your immune system that will decide if the virus can take hold. I caught it on an all day drinking session . He mentioned alot of the "young healthy" people who get it bad are probably not that healthy based on what vitamins and minerals they are getting in their diet.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I was watching a guy on youtube called Dr Zubin Damania who has a debunking channel and he said alot has to do with the state of your immune system at the time.

Its basically a combination of your anti-bodies and the strength of your immune system that will decide if the virus can take hold. I caught it on an all day drinking session . He mentioned alot of the "young healthy" people who get it bad are probably not that healthy based on what vitamins and minerals they are getting in their diet.

I also saw something about recovery from the common cold can help too. I had a shocking cold a couple months ago so maybe recovering from that helped. Fuck knows.

Also it makes sense about the drinking thing, I’m defo more susceptible to stuff just after drinking a lot 

11 minutes ago, lost said:

My wife has been unwell for weeks but has been testing negative - we was thinking that maybe the illness opened her up a bit more to catching the virus more recently having otherwise avoided it up tonight and teaching in a covid soup daily for the last two years 🙂 

Edited by Barry Fish

42 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I also saw something about recovery from the common cold can help too. I had a shocking cold a couple months ago so maybe recovering from that helped. Fuck knows.

Also it makes sense about the drinking thing, I’m defo more susceptible to stuff just after drinking a lot 

Ha yeah I'm the same - little sore throats and colds after big days out/festivals etc 

In the past that was normal now it's "you've got to test!" 

Edited by efcfanwirral

54 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Imagine so shamelessly exploiting the pandemic to gain more Twitter followers to sell more masks. She makes me sick.

Could you imagine having the skills of a doctor during a pandemic but instead of using your medical skills instead you get involved in politics and making money out of the pandemic flogging masks... Shameful 

Edited by Barry Fish

17 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60137428

Just like last time lots of companies continuing to "ask" customers to wear masks while pretty much all their staff don't bother and likewise the wider public don't both.

But it looks good I suppose 😛 

I’m sick of being asked to wear a mask and shops and on TFL when the staff often don’t wear them!

Just now, Barry Fish said:

It's just like the last freedom day lol  its frankly ridiculous 

I don’t quite understand what TFL and Tesco are doing though? Is it purely to stroke their egos or add stamps to their morally virtuous scorecard?

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t quite understand what TFL and Tesco are doing though? Is it purely to stroke their egos or add stamps to their morally virtuous scorecard?

I'm guessing it's seen as the we easiest way to annoy the least amount of people, once masks aren't mandatory the "burn your face nappies" types aren't going to wear them but your more nervous types want them, a non compulsory mask request allows you to appease them without actually doing anything to the no masks ultras.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think mostly the last one.  I went asda this morning and lots of customers still wearing (older weekday crowd types - be a few weeks before they give in) and no staff wearing one lol.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I went mask free and it fellt good 😀

And some people will continue to wear a mask if it makes them feel more safe (even if the evidence isn’t necessarily there) - and they will also feel good too, for different reasons. 

Each to their own has to be the only way we can approach all of this. I won’t be wearing a mask anymore, but I certainly won’t ridicule those that chose to. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, st dan said:

And some people will continue to wear a mask if it makes them feel more safe (even if the evidence isn’t necessarily there) - and they will also feel good too, for different reasons. 

Each to their own has to be the only way we can approach all of this. I won’t be wearing a mask anymore, but I certainly won’t ridicule those that chose to. 

Personal responsibility and personal freedom for the win...

Someone on another forum posted they went to Sainsbury this morning and the jumped up security guard said she HAS to wear a mask and it all got a bit heated lol.

I think some of these shops need to be a bit more upfront on what they want.  If you say on your website you are "asking" that is far cry from mandating.  Messaging is important.

Quite happy to go shop at Asda instead 🙂   My pounds will not be spent in shops who want to remove personal choice from their customers.

Edited by Barry Fish

Just got another "warn and inform" letter from my kids primary...  Seems to be slowly working its way through my kids class since December.  School hardly had a case in the previous waves.

Just make me think though when I get the letter - whats the point in even telling me ?  Nothing we can do about it.

Very little point the impacted kid staying off either unless they are too ill to learn (they rarely are with the kids).

Roll on March and hopefully we stop this pointless exercise.

Edited by Barry Fish

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Just got another "warn and inform" letter from my kids primary...  Seems to be slowly working its way through my kids class since December.  School hardly had a case in the previous waves.

Just make me think though when I get the letter - whats the point in even telling me ?  Nothing we can do about it.

Very little point the impacted kid staying off either unless they are too ill to learn (they rarely are with the kids).

Roll on March and hopefully we stop this pointless exercise.

Same here.

We're told too LFT my 8 yr oldson every day now.  I do it periodically, but not every day - he hates them.

9 minutes ago, gary1979666 said:

Same here.

We're told too LFT my 8 yr oldson every day now.  I do it periodically, but not every day - he hates them.

Been told the same despite them saying they where not suitable for under 11s back in the day...  

We give her the option.  We never force her unless it mandatory (return to school / travel)

She used to hate them and refuse to do them so had to force her in the past - which is upsetting.  She has recently just realised its a ticket to 10 days off school and all of a sudden she doesn't hate them as much now lol.  Which helps me with getting her to take one for our up coming holiday lol.  Although again - the prospect of Disneyland is removing her objections lol.

Edited by Barry Fish

• Neil locked this topic