When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

9 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Was thinking more there won't be many rules about in July! 

ther might be some, case numbers have gone up in early summer for the last two years

Edited by Neil

On 2/4/2022 at 11:10 AM, Barry Fish said:

If the people of Scotland follow this lady off the independence cliff they will only have themselves to blame really.

no, blame th liars, her and salmond, and farage, all the same thing, lies to win people over

Boris Johnson starts by saying on the Monday after the half term recess he will announce a strategy for living with Covid.

He says the government intends to end the last restrictions, including isolating requirements, a full month early.

The isolation rules were due to end on 24 March.

• Current isolation rules for people in England will be replace by guidance, the PM’s spokeperson said.
  • People will continue to be advised to stay away from work if they have Covid, the spokeperson said. He said:

What we would simply be doing is removing the domestic regulations which relate to isolation. But obviously in the same way that someone with flu, we wouldn’t recommend they go to work, we would never recommend anyone goes to work when they have an infectious disease.

46 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/02/09/uk-past-point-covid-vaccinations-children-will-make-difference/

JCVI set to annouce this weeks if to give under 12s the vaccine.   Prof Paul Hunter making the point we are past the point where it would make any difference and the impact on secondary school kids have only given marginal gains.

I totally believe this - its largely an unnecessary vaccine for this age group.  The problem is if we don't give it to the kids then international travel will be really difficult.  Sure you can get there but you won't be able to do anything when you arrive in some places.

Leaving me with the tricky choice if to get the kids the jab in the USA at half term.  I would rather get it under the watchful eye of the NHS.  Hoping they at least give us the option.

It’s not the job of the JCVI to make decisions in order to make it easier for international travel. 

The 2 things for them to consider:

1. Does the evidence show that the protection offered against covid outweighs the risk of severe side effects that the vaccine occasionally causes? (bearing in mind the incredibly low risk kids are at from covid)

2. If yes, does it do so significantly enough to indicate that the benefit is strong enough to justify the enormous costs of a widespread vaccination programme. 

If the first answer is No, don’t vaccinate kids.

If Yes/Yes, vaccinate kids.

If it’s Yes/No you have a more difficult situation. In this case I’d say don’t bother with an NHS sponsored vaccination programme but allow parents to purchase it privately for travel like you would with any other travel jabs. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

When we went to Africa we had to get a number of shots.  I don't see why covid should be any difference.

Isn't that all on the basis you might be vulnerable to catching whatever virus there because it doesnt really exist in your own country? It's now just a tick in a box for younger people with no real benefit to anyone really. They can still take it there and still catch it there, and probably won't end up in hospital with it anywhere. 

Same applies to the restaurants etc that require it.

I only got my vaccines for Asia because the diseases were scary to me personally. I don't see it for young people for covid. Makes very little sense now.

I had to purchase mine for my extended asia trip as I left it far too late for the NHS to help me - very expensive!!. I didn't even think about it for a two week trip there, maybe a little naive at that point...

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

In the end the vaccine has been approved as safe so i don't see what the issue would be in allowing people to practice informed consent and receive a vaccine for travel. 

I can't remember all the ones I needed but I do remember one of them being a booster.

I am kind of confused on what the resistance is here ?  The he benefits might be marginal but after millions of kids getting its hard to suggest harm will be done.

Its a safe vaccine and we should surely be given the option under informed consent to take it.  I mainly took the jab so I could have hassle free travel.  Its one of the biggest selling points to get it for anyone under the age of 60.  I don't think its okay to deny children the freedom to travel.

I don't think there is much justification for a nationwide roll out in the same way other countries have.  But then we don't do that with some of the meningitis vaccines you can still get privately.

My main resistance (as of Feb 2022) is the mandates that require this to even be a consideration for you.

8 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

So if we end all domestic restriction does this mean I can go to a doctors / dentist or hospital without a mask I wonder.

i got a text from my GP yesterday, with a subtext of, just cos spaffer says it's over its not here, don't try o get an appointment, but if you do, masks are still mandated in law for healthcare settings.

Edited by Neil

14 minutes ago, Neil said:

covid end on 24th February, when spaffer says he's beaten it?

Just in England I think. Sturgeon won't have beaten it until at least September now possibly longer.

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Just in England I think. Sturgeon won't have beaten it until at least September now possibly longer.

those nationalists are shit at doing everything so shit they're even beaten by spaffer,.

Edited by Neil

16 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s not the job of the JCVI to make decisions in order to make it easier for international travel. 

The 2 things for them to consider:

1. Does the evidence show that the protection offered against covid outweighs the risk of severe side effects that the vaccine occasionally causes? (bearing in mind the incredibly low risk kids are at from covid)

2. If yes, does it do so significantly enough to indicate that the benefit is strong enough to justify the enormous costs of a widespread vaccination programme. 

If the first answer is No, don’t vaccinate kids.

If Yes/Yes, vaccinate kids.

If it’s Yes/No you have a more difficult situation. In this case I’d say don’t bother with an NHS sponsored vaccination programme but allow parents to purchase it privately for travel like you would with any other travel jabs. 

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the vaccine is safe but the reality is it's still only approved in most places *for emergency use* - likely because they need data over a longer time period to declare it totally safe. "Being able to go on holiday" is not an emergency for most of us. 

So you get a split where some countries still consider themselves to be in an emergency situation and others don't. I can't help but think that won't last though. Lots of people are still worried about COVID, if I'm picking a holiday destination for this year, am I going to pick the one that says they're still in the middle of a COVID emergency and it's not safe if you're not vaccinated, or pick one of the ones that isn't? It's not a great message for countries that actively want to get tourism back.

(Obviously many countries are still struggling with COVID and not encouraging tourism but that's a different thing)

3 hours ago, lost said:

I think any time there is a 6 month extension to September for anything to do with covid, it's pretty fair to assume that's a 12 month extension in reality as they won't remove them before winter 

Edited by efcfanwirral

10 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think any time there is a 6 month extension to September for anything to do with covid, it's pretty fair to assume that's a 12 month extension in reality as they won't remove them before winter 

On the contrary, Scotland’s strategy seems to be doing everything England does but a few weeks after for the sake of looking more sensible and cautious. If it goes fine in England expect Scotland to follow a month agter 

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Whatever we think of Boris he is making judgment calls whereas Sturgeon is just totally playing a game of politics I feel.

There's been suggestions all the way through this that politicians have been following opinion polls rather than "the science" Understandable really when you look at the pressure the western media put Sweden under at the start to follow the herd.

Alot of Scots though really do seem to love mistress Sturgeon giving them it good and hard. I'm surprised Mel Gibson's character wasn't pitching a tent when the English had him on the rack at the end of Braveheart.

Suggesting Johnson is "just making calls" rather than "playing politics" is laughable. 

For a start, every single decision a politician makes is "playing politics" (unless they're spectacularly thick) so it's a meaningless phrase. 

But the main point is, if you think Johnson isn't keenly aware of the optics of any decision, you're the most one-eyed partisan cheerleader there's ever been - and Britain's most self-absorbed leader ever thanks you for it. 

5 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Choosing to have to get it when I am in the USA is something I really don\t want to do - but I have to consider many factors in all this.  We do like to travel and the kids want to travel.  My 12 year old will be getting it regardless if I give consent or not.  She's already told me that LMAO.  She can decide for herself - she is old enough.  I still have to make choices for the 8 year old although she said them same - she wants to go back "home" (we have family and friends out there) 😛   (we spend a lot of time in the USA - pre covid)

My main worry on that would creating problems for yourselves in the long term if it rolled out to youngsters worldwide and does become a requirement for most travel - the whole UK passport but with proof of jab in the US might end up causing headaches in the future.