When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

42 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You both at the same time accept your original post was unnecessary, pointless and without merit while at the same time doubling down on the stupidity of the original post lol.

Look just debate the issues or leave...  a man without a point is just a pointless man.

A classic case of what I'm talking about - you interpret any response in the way that best suits your view and twist it to suit.

1. I accept it was probably unnecessary, but certainly not pointless or without merit. My response explains clearly what point I was making (many people are overly dogmatic and it stifles debate) and that's a point I feel was merited. 

2. I've not doubled down. I've laid out my position. I said it was admirable you have the ability to change your position. 

3. I don't want to debate the issues - I just wanted to make a request that people approach a debate prepared to hear opposing arguments and form an opinion based on critically evaluating evidence available, rather than enter it with a pre-formed view which is defended to the hilt. 

4. You don't control this forum and if I wish to say the above I'm free to do so. "Debate the issues or leave" roughly equates to "I won't stop until you accept my position is correct" and is another classic trope of the polarised nature of debate in our culture war obsessed society. 

2 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

“Just don’t be dicks to others” says the person who came into this thread unprovoked and called people dicks. 

Didn't call anyone a dick, re-read the OP. Didn't call out anyone in particular.
(Except maybe Lawrence Fox - you're not him are you?)

You don't need to be 'provoked' to enter a thread on an open forum and have an opinion. Granted the OP was flippant and not conducive to eliciting the type of response I feel we should have in any debate. 

The bottom line is, this thread is seen by many on eFests as toxic and overly full of pugnacious posters, hence the fact it was locked in the main forum and moved here, and then titled "When will Covid end? Please be nice and respectful to others". 

That's all I'm saying - please be nice and respectful to others. I just paraphrased it to "don't be a dick" which has been seen as obnoxious (and to be fair, it is). 

Sadly far too many of the regular posters on this thread aren't "nice and respectful". 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Absolutely needs to happened and hopefully sooner than April 🙂 

People simply can't rationalise that things aren't 2020 anymore with daily death figures and cases without context.  They where good tools to stoke the fear and drive behaviour but now they are a blunt unnecessary instrument. 

I think the arguments against stopping the data that the article put forward at the top are refuted further down, saying the ONS figures will continue anyway, so there's no lack of transparency nor a danger of people not knowing about new variants

22 hours ago, zero000 said:

Hold your horses it’s a long way off looking at the article. 

„TOKYO, Jan 31 (Reuters) - Japanese trading and pharmaceuticals company Kowa Co Ltd (7807.T)on Monday said that anti-parasite drug ivermectin showed an "antiviral effect" against Omicron and other coronavirus variants in joint non-clinical research.

The company, which has been working with Tokyo's Kitasato University on testing the drug as a potential treatment for COVID-19, did not provide further details. The original Reuters story misstated that ivermectin was "effective" against Omicron in Phase III clinical trials, which are conducted in humans.”

wont need drugs soon, there'll be a universal vaccine that'll work against future variants.

18 hours ago, assorted said:

It’s an ironic bit of shade to throw considering the forum creator/owner literally posted 2 above this comment.

It's not shade, pretty sure a few of the regulars left in here have said before they don't have tickets for this year and have no intention of trying to get them. And if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure they'd have told me so by now. It's a free internet argument point!

11 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Ultimately does it matter ? 

I think the argument was if you goto Glastonbury your morally superior in some way. But as has already been pointed out its the middle classes who goto Glastonbury and its the middle classes whom most benefited from lockdowns. They have the work from home type jobs which suffered no loss of income plus the majority actually profited from having no commuting or child care costs.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

a leftie jew hating terrorist supporter.

Yep its exactly the same attitude that lead to the labour party being a whisker away from being added to the same list of banned political groups as the British union of fascists. Right wing people are racist, Left wing people can't be racist therefore we can't have an issue with antisemitism in the party.

To this day Starmer is still being blamed for holding a grudge rather than the fact he is simply following a legal ruling for the party to be able to continue,

Edited by lost
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Lockdowns, school closures and limiting gatherings only reduced COVID mortality by 0.2% at 'enormous economic and social costs

study finds Meta-analysis of 24 studies found Covid lockdown restrictions caused just 0.2% reduction in virus deaths Economists who carried out review said border closures had virtually zero effect on Covid mortality (-0.1%)

However, researchers found closing nonessential shops was most effective intervention, causing 10.6% fall

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10466995/New-study-says-lockdowns-reduced-COVID-mortality-2-percent.html

Shock 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

It's not shade, pretty sure a few of the regulars left in here have said before they don't have tickets for this year and have no intention of trying to get them. And if I'm wrong I'm pretty sure they'd have told me so by now. It's a free internet argument point!

Is it a rule that only those with tickets to the latest festival are allowed to be on here? 

Perhaps you should warn those in the resale thread that they need to try a little bit harder because if they’re unsuccessful they need to bugger off until October. 

20 hours ago, BobWillis2 said:

Is it a rule that only those with tickets to the latest festival are allowed to be on here? 

Perhaps you should warn those in the resale thread that they need to try a little bit harder because if they’re unsuccessful they need to bugger off until October. 

No - someone just said that people in here weren't being nice and that they're clearly only nice during the festival, to which I pointed out most people left in this thread aren't going to the festival.

Do you need help in the resale?

I'm well over 28 days for my positive covid test and I'm not getting spammed to book my booster which has happened previously. Alot of the vaccine centres seem to be finally shutting up shop.

I think the governments finally run out of money to chuck at covid and its suddenly realising it needs to focus on the bigger issues in the economy caused by their covid policies. I think I said this would happen a few months ago to shift public attention. 

People will now start claiming they never said things like "you can rebuild an economy you can't bring people back to life" Rebuilding that economy is going to be alot more painful than many were expecting. Maybe we should start recording deaths within 28 days of receiving a gas bill?

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

While its mainly fuelled by global gas prices our ability to respond is massively restricted by the required tax rises required to cover the damage from Covid.

The pound is up a little against the dollar off the back of todays interest rate rise which should help energy prices a tiny bit. Saying that the BOE is so far behind the inflation curve its not funny and as during lockdown everyone was taking out massive loans for properties with home offices and big gardens I'm not sure how high they can go without killing the property market and then the general economy as it feeds through to consumption.

They've created a massive shit sandwich and I don't think we can do anything else but sit down and eat it.

16 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Can't quite believe I am reading this but the crazy Scottish lady is suggesting spending £300,000 chopping off the bottom of doors in school.  Anyone with half a brain could of told her that would violate fire regulations 🙂

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/03/bonkers-plan-chop-classroom-doors-may-not-fire-safe-admits-sturgeon/

Not only is it against fire regulations, if you really want a door to be a wee bit open then just give them a door stop not cut the bottom off the door, it's absolutely insane.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, mcshed said:

Not only is it against fire regulations, if you really want a door to be a wee bit open then just give them a door stop not cut the bottom off the door, it's absolutely insane.

But if they do it to, say 20% of doors, then the bits that are cut off can be fashioned into door stops for the remaining 80%!  Long live Queen Nicola!!

19 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Can't quite believe I am reading this but the crazy Scottish lady is suggesting spending £300,000 chopping off the bottom of doors in school.  Anyone with half a brain could of told her that would violate fire regulations 🙂

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2022/02/03/bonkers-plan-chop-classroom-doors-may-not-fire-safe-admits-sturgeon/

That is hilarious 

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Biden wasn't pro lockdown  😀

What bullshit is that 😒 

I seem to also remember him saying he wouldn't trust a vaccine produced under the Trump administration. Its all a game to these people, politics nowadays is purely tribal and getting "your team" elected, policy doesn't really mater anymore.

Biden's still sticking kids in cadges on the U.S border, the EU is building a trump style wall to keep immigrants out from Belarus and yet you don't hear a peep from people who thought stuff like that was the worst thing ever when the other side did it. 

Edited by lost

4 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The focus is now slowly shifting from can I go to do I want to go....

My daughter turns 12 in April and from that point she can travel to many places but can't do anything when she gets their without daily testing - getting her the vaccine as soon as she turns 12 and then got to wait for the next shot 12 weeks later (which is now pointless - should be 2 weeks) .  Then the rest of us have to weigh up if we want to go back to wearing masks and jumping through all the local hoops.

But at least we are on the right track to one day get back to normal.

Honestly the speed it's all moving at I doubt you'll need to wait til that 12 weeks after the first one.