When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

24 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

This x1000. I cannot tell you how much the abuse argument about people receiving benefits infuriates me, not least given it is a drop in the ocean compared to recent, huge government corruption! 

not fraud but i've just found myself in reciept of £600 amonth in benefits, and guaraanteed for two more years. rather fantastic, but i'd rather have my health back. 🙂 

Edited by eFestivals

4 minutes ago, st dan said:

Surely it’s wrong to just target hospitality with a reintroduction of the furlough scheme - barbers, hairdressers, beauty salons to name a few will also be suffering similar cancellations and no shows. 

Music industry seems a bit fucked. Frank Turner fully cancelled his February tour to keep people safe, not even a rescheduling! 

11 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Just in case of what though ?   Presume you are vaccinated...  Do you think you can avoid covid forever?

No, it's not about me avoiding Covid, though I hope I do.  I've been douible-jabbed and had my booster and have had my Winter flu jab but I could still pass Covid on to someone else and I'd rather not do that.  So it's not about protecting myself, it's about protecting others.

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You say its not about avoiding covid but then say its about avoiding covid.

I think you are confused.  You are going to interact with the virus during this current wave.  Its inevitable.  So why cause yourself and family the pain of missing out on stuff.  If you get the virus - isolate and don't spread it.

if you want to help stop it spreading then you stay away from others as much as possible. At moment everyone has the choice how much they want to do that.

24 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

not fraud but i've just found myself in reciept of £600 amonth in benefits, and guaraanteed for two more years. rather fantastic, but i'd rather have my health back. 🙂 

As I'm sure the vast, vast majority of benefits recipients would rather be in work/in full health!

2 hours ago, zahidf said:

Err what? It's good if it reduces by itself 

20211221_104421.jpg

I think they're implying that any lockdown in the new year would be too late to stop a potentially huge rate of hospitalisations.

If cases are 2 million a day (I think that's the estimate?) By after Christmas it'll be 8 million so X % of those will inevitably need hospital treatment. Depending what that X factor is a lockdown after new year really isn't going to make any difference to the acute issue of hospital capacity in early Jan. 

Now it's just a waiting game to see what the hospitalisation rate is and whether that breaks the NHS for a couple of months.

Am I right in thinking they now tell you which variant you have when you get your positive PCR result back? I assume this is only a small % of the tests which are sampled however?

If so surely there's some anecdotal stuff out there about the severity?

Edit: I'm basically asking if anyone knows or has the new variant and can provide a sample of how they're feeling? Even better if they had covid previously and how the two times compared?

Edited by JoeyT

46 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I think they're implying that any lockdown in the new year would be too late to stop a potentially huge rate of hospitalisations.

If cases are 2 million a day (I think that's the estimate?) By after Christmas it'll be 8 million so X % of those will inevitably need hospital treatment. Depending what that X factor is a lockdown after new year really isn't going to make any difference to the acute issue of hospital capacity in early Jan. 

Now it's just a waiting game to see what the hospitalisation rate is and whether that breaks the NHS for a couple of months.

and whether cases keep increasing the way they are...hopefully start slowing soon...

32 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Am I right in thinking they now tell you which variant you have when you get your positive PCR result back? I assume this is only a small % of the tests which are sampled however?

Edit: I'm basically asking if anyone knows or has the new variant and can provide a sample of how they're feeling? Even better if they had covid previously and how the two times compared?

One of my best mates had Omicron last week. He said he had a scratchy throat (appears to be the main symptom) and felt rough for 2-3 days and then completely fine afterwards. He is 27. Anecdotes I have been reading online all appear to suggest a shorter duration of illness too.

14 hours ago, Justiceforcedave said:

The state of play for hospitality is appalling at the moment. Lockdown, no lockdown, it makes no difference. Without some kind of help, a lot of businesses will go under.

At the moment the issue is simply being ignored by this ‘lastminute.com’ government.

Should restaurants be restocking their fridges for next week? Figuring out who to let go? Announcing things out of the blue does not allow businesses to plan.

We were literally just having that conversation at work this morning about our beer delivery. 

Been caught out before on that one. 

49 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

They can get an indication if the PCR result has a drop out in the S gene it's likely to be Omicron. Needs to be further sequenced to confirm, but thats how they're prioritising which ones to test further.

I actually replied to this tweet because I am struggling to see how that would not be good news. If a more transmissible variant infects those with greater protection (which are also the most vulnerable ages), then it will have low hospitalisations/death rates given the increased protection (subject to small % of large number is still a large number). This would also explain the massive growth in cases in 25-29 year olds in Gauteng and London particularly which did not then filter up through the ages.

1 minute ago, hodgey123 said:

I actually replied to this tweet because I am struggling to see how that would not be good news. If a more transmissible variant infects those with greater protection (which are also the most vulnerable ages), then it will have low hospitalisations/death rates given the increased protection (subject to small % of large number is still a large number). This would also explain the massive growth in cases in 25-29 year olds in Gauteng and London particularly which did not then filter up through the ages.

Deepti is an idiot though. She also attacks other scientistsif they dont agree 100% with her. I had to block her

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Deepti is an idiot though. She also attacks other scientistsif they dont agree 100% with her. I had to block her

I've not blocked her as I like to view her and Pagel's profiles to get both sides of the argument, but she must be the most pessimistic COVID expert I have ever come across. There is always something which needs doing.