When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

So it turns out deaths with covid on the certificate is also shown on the dashboard, so is unlinked to testing status and that looks on a generally OK trajectory. 

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/deaths

Didn't even know they reported that one - thats surely the most accurate of the measures? And maybe that should be the one used on front pages....

Cases will look silly, and there's a bit of an unknown about hospitalisations and ICU numbers, though it could explain the drop in ventilation with covid numbers recently. That's probably the only thing that could derail it - if a lot of reinfected are in ICU

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Tbh I really don’t understand covid at all. My gf had it in December and I didn’t get it despite the fact we share a one bed flat. In contrast one of my pals got delta in December and then after a new year house party caught omicron in early January which is mental imo. 

I was watching a guy on youtube called Dr Zubin Damania who has a debunking channel and he said alot has to do with the state of your immune system at the time.

Its basically a combination of your anti-bodies and the strength of your immune system that will decide if the virus can take hold. I caught it on an all day drinking session . He mentioned alot of the "young healthy" people who get it bad are probably not that healthy based on what vitamins and minerals they are getting in their diet.

4 minutes ago, lost said:

I was watching a guy on youtube called Dr Zubin Damania who has a debunking channel and he said alot has to do with the state of your immune system at the time.

Its basically a combination of your anti-bodies and the strength of your immune system that will decide if the virus can take hold. I caught it on an all day drinking session . He mentioned alot of the "young healthy" people who get it bad are probably not that healthy based on what vitamins and minerals they are getting in their diet.

I also saw something about recovery from the common cold can help too. I had a shocking cold a couple months ago so maybe recovering from that helped. Fuck knows.

Also it makes sense about the drinking thing, I’m defo more susceptible to stuff just after drinking a lot 

42 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

I also saw something about recovery from the common cold can help too. I had a shocking cold a couple months ago so maybe recovering from that helped. Fuck knows.

Also it makes sense about the drinking thing, I’m defo more susceptible to stuff just after drinking a lot 

Ha yeah I'm the same - little sore throats and colds after big days out/festivals etc 

In the past that was normal now it's "you've got to test!" 

Edited by efcfanwirral

17 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60137428

Just like last time lots of companies continuing to "ask" customers to wear masks while pretty much all their staff don't bother and likewise the wider public don't both.

But it looks good I suppose 😛 

I’m sick of being asked to wear a mask and shops and on TFL when the staff often don’t wear them!

Just now, Barry Fish said:

It's just like the last freedom day lol  its frankly ridiculous 

I don’t quite understand what TFL and Tesco are doing though? Is it purely to stroke their egos or add stamps to their morally virtuous scorecard?

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I don’t quite understand what TFL and Tesco are doing though? Is it purely to stroke their egos or add stamps to their morally virtuous scorecard?

I'm guessing it's seen as the we easiest way to annoy the least amount of people, once masks aren't mandatory the "burn your face nappies" types aren't going to wear them but your more nervous types want them, a non compulsory mask request allows you to appease them without actually doing anything to the no masks ultras.

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I went mask free and it fellt good 😀

And some people will continue to wear a mask if it makes them feel more safe (even if the evidence isn’t necessarily there) - and they will also feel good too, for different reasons. 

Each to their own has to be the only way we can approach all of this. I won’t be wearing a mask anymore, but I certainly won’t ridicule those that chose to. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Just got another "warn and inform" letter from my kids primary...  Seems to be slowly working its way through my kids class since December.  School hardly had a case in the previous waves.

Just make me think though when I get the letter - whats the point in even telling me ?  Nothing we can do about it.

Very little point the impacted kid staying off either unless they are too ill to learn (they rarely are with the kids).

Roll on March and hopefully we stop this pointless exercise.

Same here.

We're told too LFT my 8 yr oldson every day now.  I do it periodically, but not every day - he hates them.

Didn't realise there were so many Lawrence Fox types on eFests. This thread reads like a transcript of GB News. Seems the mantra "just be kind" and "don't be a dick" doesn't last long after walking out of Ped Gate C on a Monday. Certainly not 2+ years any rate. 

Won't be dipping back in. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 1/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, BobWillis2 said:

Phase 3 ivermectin trials from Japan look promising. 

Shame the west stigmatised it’s use because of political bias. Could have saved some lives. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/japans-kowa-says-ivermectin-effective-against-omicron-phase-iii-trial-2022-01-31/

Hold your horses it’s a long way off looking at the article. 

„TOKYO, Jan 31 (Reuters) - Japanese trading and pharmaceuticals company Kowa Co Ltd (7807.T)on Monday said that anti-parasite drug ivermectin showed an "antiviral effect" against Omicron and other coronavirus variants in joint non-clinical research.

The company, which has been working with Tokyo's Kitasato University on testing the drug as a potential treatment for COVID-19, did not provide further details. The original Reuters story misstated that ivermectin was "effective" against Omicron in Phase III clinical trials, which are conducted in humans.”

On 1/31/2022 at 11:27 AM, BobWillis2 said:

Phase 3 ivermectin trials from Japan look promising. 

Shame the west stigmatised it’s use because of political bias. Could have saved some lives. 

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/japans-kowa-says-ivermectin-effective-against-omicron-phase-iii-trial-2022-01-31/

That article mentions at least one Western trial taking place. The stigmatism came about because it's pretty easy to hurt yourself by taking too much of it and there wasn't any proof it had any benefit. They didn't want people obtaining it and making themselves ill. 

Then where it gets politicised is when those pushing Ivermectin as the thing to take are also encouraging people not to get vaccinated and not to take other treatments. So then you have to say "don't listen to those people, listen to your doctor" - which isn't the same as "Ivermectin can't possibly work". 

On 1/31/2022 at 12:05 PM, blutarsky said:

Didn't realise there were so many Lawrence Fox types on eFests. This thread reads like a transcript of GB News. Seems the mantra "just be kind" and "don't be a dick" doesn't last long after walking out of Ped Gate C on a Monday. Certainly not 2+ years any rate. 

Won't be dipping back in. 

I'm not sure there are many left that still go to the festival.

5 hours ago, DeanoL said:

I’m not sure there are many left that still go to the festival.

It’s an ironic bit of shade to throw considering the forum creator/owner literally posted 2 above this comment. 

The idea that those against lockdowns and restrictions are “dicks” or “unkind” that @blutarsky puts forward is a bit infuriating considering the damage of said restrictions/lockdowns are all taken out on the lower classes, while not protecting those classes as they are deemed “essential workers,” taking the brunt of the sickness while also suffering the economic costs of the restrictions that only protect wealthier communities. I would dare say those *for* lockdowns and restrictions are indeed the cruel ones, ignoring this reality, often because they are upper class themselves with work from home jobs. 

Also, it’s all a bit hypocritical because those the most in favor of lockdowns and restrictions would never allow mass gatherings, so those insulting us are doing so on the side of people that would likely never want Glastonbury to happen again, certainly not this year. 

24 minutes ago, assorted said:

It’s an ironic bit of shade to throw considering the forum creator/owner literally posted 2 above this comment. 

The idea that those against lockdowns and restrictions are “dicks” or “unkind” that @blutarsky puts forward is a bit infuriating considering the damage of said restrictions/lockdowns are all taken out on the lower classes, while not protecting those classes as they are deemed “essential workers,” taking the brunt of the sickness while also suffering the economic costs of the restrictions that only protect wealthier communities. I would dare say those *for* lockdowns and restrictions are indeed the cruel ones, ignoring this reality, often because they are upper class themselves with work from home jobs. 

Also, it’s all a bit hypocritical because those the most in favor of lockdowns and restrictions would never allow mass gatherings, so those insulting us are doing so on the side of people that would likely never want Glastonbury to happen again, certainly not this year. 

Is it possible for something to be “a bit infuriating”? Semantics. 

Anyway, show me where I mentioned lockdowns specifically? My point was more about the general tone of the “I’ve done my own research thank you very much” brigade. 

8 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem with you is you take a very general side swipe at a large group of people without actually stating what is wrong in your opinion.  What is the view point which is wrong ?

I think some of us "hawks" have been proven right on a lot of our view points recently.  The end game of the pandemic is certaintly a world close to what I have said it would be rather than further away.

You also take a swipe without knowing the history.  I have changed my stance and view point as the situation developed.  Pre- vaccine and post vaccine view points should be different unless you are an utter moron.

If you lack the maturity, the capability or the knowledge to challenge any view points on offer then you should certainly dip out of the this are of the forum and go back to debating such troubling issue as which field to camp in at Glasto.  That is about your maximum level it would seem.

You’re right that my OP was very general and in that sense it’s flawed. I suppose it was a reflection of the fact I didn’t want to engage, but on some instinctive level I felt the need to say *something* without really saying anything. 

You seem to have taken the post personally, but it wasn't aimed at you specifically and didn’t call out any of your positions. There was evidently something in it which touched a nerve somehow… 

You say I don’t take into account how your position has changed throughout the pandemic but this evidence is there to see. I have read several pages of posts. It’s admirable that some posters can change their positions without seeing this as a negative thing - but some do. My OP was (badly and non-specifically) calling out this dogmatic behaviour. 

One thing that respondents to my OP have done is assumed my position. I haven’t stated it other than that I felt some regular posters are “dicks” and selfish. One assumed I wanted lockdowns again and I came under attack for that. If anyone is actually interested in my position, without being detailed, I feel the time for lockdowns has passed, the vaccine program has done a wonderful job, Omicron has lowered morbidity, but people should still be supported to isolate where circumstances dictate, and the government should be providing financial backing, particularly in easing the cost of living crisis we are walking into on the back of the pandemic. I also hold the position this has been the worst possible government at the worst possible time - displaying contempt for the populace, lining their own pockets, grossly hypocritical and running down the institutions of this country while claiming to support them. Any government would have had the vaccine rollout success this lot have had - all the work was done by the NHS. Not any government would have so badly bungled and overspent on test and trace, for example. I have no time for Boris apologists. 

Anyway, I should have known better than to jump in with a flawed argument and flippant statement: I should have either bitten my tongue or been specific if I was going to engage in any serious way. 

What I really wanted to call out was the way many of the regular posters in here resort to using only favourable sources, straw man arguments and ad hominem attacks - which your post in response to mine included. Insulting my intellect and maturity based on zero knowledge of me is more a reflection on you than it is me.

I didn’t insult anyone in my OP, so if you were insulted what does this suggest about you? 

This over-sensitive defensive mindset is exactly what Lawrence Fox displays. He’s triggered by anyone holding differing views to his own and resorts to attacks on those he sees as opponents, often painting himself into a ridiculous corner, using unscientific nonsense arguments. See his “I don’t need a vaccine as I have an immune system” t-shirt that he wore as he has a dogmatic opposition to any Covid mitigation measures. He’s not interested in understanding that vaccines work in symbiosis with your immune system, and he won’t accept that thanks to vaccines polio is virtually eradicated. Anyway, I’m not accusing anyone of taking this position but I am saying that several posters display similar defensive reactions to being challenged or opposed. Latching onto any positions which have been vindicated as “proof” all other positions taken are “correct” is another example of this.

The fact is I deal in ethics, nuance and shades of grey every day and am comfortable doing so. eFests isn’t somewhere I want to do that so generally speaking I don’t. 

tl;dr: I didn’t call out anyone specifically, and the fact I’m getting flak back is my own fault for bothering to engage (albeit in a minimal and non-specific way). Just don’t be a dick to others. 

Edited by blutarsky
Typo