When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

Yeah nothing to see here … 223 deaths today … and not even at the start of winter … highest infection numbers in the world … and yes it is relevant … not as much as before but that is lots of people becoming I’ll with covid .. and herd immunity doesn’t exist as we should all know by now … a fully functional economy just won’t work with that level of sickness in the population … Yet still those people have fallen for the message of Boris that it’s all over … what an absolute shit show this country has become if people aren’t able to do basic things for other people to prevent them becoming I’ll … fuck Boris and the clowns that run this plague island 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

Yeah nothing to see here … 223 deaths today … and not even at the start of winter … highest infection numbers in the world … and yes it is relevant … not as much as before but that is lots of people becoming I’ll with covid .. and herd immunity doesn’t exist as we should all know by now … a fully functional economy just won’t work with that level of sickness in the population … Yet still those people have fallen for the message of Boris that it’s all over … what an absolute shit show this country has become if people aren’t able to do basic things for other people to prevent them becoming I’ll … fuck Boris and the clowns that run this plague island 

Once we open the restrictions box this winter, that's it for every winter going forward. Fair enough lock the unvaccinated out of society but I think people will be very surprised when that still doesn't keep us out of lockdown...

I'm taking this as nhs overwhelming, which flu and backlog will cause. This isn't a covid only issue anymore 

I also don't think re-mandating masks will help either. Unless you mandate them for all home visits and all workplaces at all times

Edited by efcfanwirral

Trigger warning - but not for the usual reasons

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/19/implement-plan-b-winter-measures-now-or-risk-nhs-crisis-johnson-warned?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

The NHS is fucked and its October. We want normality, but we also want emergency care for our older loved ones and also for ourselves if we're unlucky.

We'll never have a well funded health system with this lot, and that wouldn't help us this winter anyway

So what do we do? 

Perhaps those of us who can afford it should go for Bupa...that's all I can think of to do personally. Doesn't help with emergency stuff but thats unlikely anyway. I'll wear masks to make people feel better but I'm unconvinced on how much I'm actually materially doing there. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

Trigger warning - but not for the usual reasons

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/19/implement-plan-b-winter-measures-now-or-risk-nhs-crisis-johnson-warned?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other&__twitter_impression=true

The NHS is fucked and its October. We want normality, but we also want emergency care for our older loved ones and also for ourselves if we're unlucky.

We'll never have a well funded health system with this lot, and that wouldn't help us this winter anyway

So what do we do? 

Perhaps those of us who can afford it should go for Bupa...that's all I can think of to do personally. Doesn't help with emergency stuff but thats unlikely anyway. I'll wear masks to make people feel better but I'm unconvinced on how much I'm actually materially doing there. 

Pretending there’s not going to be any issue and burying their heads in the sand isn’t going to help for sure … masks and lateral flow testing will make some difference … maybe not massive but we should have never gone into winter with these high numbers at the outset … some think they will drop I’m not so sure .. oh and now we seem to have messed up the jabbing of the kids too .. world leading my ass … vaccination centres need vaccinators and a longer term plan for when people went back to their longer term jobs … oh and I know that because my sister is unable run hers at capacity because it’s near impossible to staff and I’d bet money it’s replicated up and down the country 

40 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Pretending there’s not going to be any issue and burying their heads in the sand isn’t going to help for sure … masks and lateral flow testing will make some difference … maybe not massive but we should have never gone into winter with these high numbers at the outset … some think they will drop I’m not so sure .. oh and now we seem to have messed up the jabbing of the kids too .. world leading my ass … vaccination centres need vaccinators and a longer term plan for when people went back to their longer term jobs … oh and I know that because my sister is unable run hers at capacity because it’s near impossible to staff and I’d bet money it’s replicated up and down the country 

How much difference?

If England only enacts masks being mandaory what's the difference in deaths?

11 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Restrictions should not be normalised in a post vaccine world.

Lets be fair none of us know what’s going to happen over the next few months as we haven’t gone through a winter with the vaccine available to almost the entire population and putting in restrictions has collateral damage on industries and peoples lives beyond that of the virus let’s not forget that.

24 minutes ago, Ryan1984 said:

The press today has decided to pay attention to rising case figures. Kwasi Karteng was sent to back the government’s plans while efestivals favourite Christina Pagel is also everywhere you look.

It seems its the only topic back on the radar everywhere, with the exact same split between restrictions vs not as last year. 

I'll say it again - any restrictions this year = restrictions every winter, and Possibly low level ones all the time (though I don't know what) to keep cases down ahead of winter months if this year gets bad enough.

Properly funding AND running the NHS is obviously the answer to deal with this permanent increase in demand, restricting our lives isnt the answer for a virus that will always be here.

Edited by efcfanwirral

Worth remembering that deaths and cases are much lower still than the doom mongers said they would be at this point. 

Also worth noting that quoting the Tuesday death figure is disingenuous because it includes extra days, that’s something I think everyone should have learnt.

Also every year the guardian says the nhs is about to collapse. 

That said , the booster campaign and for the young ones isn’t good enough at all and needs to step up. I do think things are broadly fine tho, we have basically 0 restrictions atm and can live almost normal lives. Even international travel is coming back. Whether people like it or not, there has been a shift to living with the virus in basically all countries. Even Parts of Asia and Aus are giving up on zero covid 

In a vacuum, I don’t hate plan B. What I do hate is giving in to pressure from NHS doctors and fake SAGE. The minute we do that, they’ll start asking for the next level of freedom to be stripped away.

Plan B in early November becomes rule of 6 in mid November, becomes household mixing ban in December, becomes strict bubble guidance at Christmas, becomes the cancellation of New Year’s Eve and ultimately, another brutal lockdown from early January through Easter 2022. 

The pandemic is over in the UK and the virus is endemic in society now. What people need to reconcile is that anyone asking for restrictions now is asking for them permanently. 50,000+ deaths a year is the new normal.

Something does seem a bit off. Russia currently clocking 1000 deaths a day where covid is the primary cause, apparently estimates put that at 1800ish using our measure with a positive test within 28 days and their system is managing fine apparently. Population just over double ours.

Russian healthcare spending as a percentage of GDP 5.3% vs our 12.8% in 2020 before the NI rise. The issue doesn't seem to be money.

Edited by lost