When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

Most of the party stories seem to be in the Torygraph. Another one today about Carrie hugging someone.

Maybe the plan is to get Carrie out of number 10 with her green agenda then hopefully reverse the fracking ban and let the country invest in fossil fuels to bring prices down.

Edited by lost

On 1/15/2022 at 2:39 PM, DeanoL said:

It's Japan. Mask wearing when ill or potentially infectious or in very crowded areas is common in some cultures. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where we end up, not legally mandated though.

“When ill or potentially infectious” doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

This idea that East Asians are masked up 24/7 and have been for two decades is a myth. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

This makes all the sense in the world with Labour wanting to appear as the government in waiting.

Let’s be honest, Boris and his government have handled the pandemic near perfectly for over a year now. The last major fuck up, in my opinion, was sending the schools back for a day in January 2021 only to close them and lock down the country that night. Lockdown 3 came too late and cost thousands of lives.

However, since that point:

- They designed a roadmap that was perfectly calibrated to the ongoing Alpha wave

- When Delta came along and led to high case rates and increasing hospitalisations, they sensibly hit the pause button and pushed freedom day back a month. This was a fair compromise between the hawks who wanted to push ahead with the reopening and the doves who wanted to actually go backwards and lock down again. The one month pause allowed for more jabs and better understanding of Delta.

- When it became clear the NHS could cope with Delta they rightly went ahead with freedom day on July 19th. Not only did this restore freedoms and boost the economy, but it allowed us to get the Delta wave out the way before the tricky winter period.

- When Omicron came along, they smartly instituted plan B measures as a precaution but resisted the pressure to lock down. Plan B measures look set to be repealed appropriately on the 26th of this month.

Labour can’t oppose the government on pandemic strategy at this point because the strategy has been executed perfectly for a year now. Starmer’s strategy should be to support the government but question their competence based on everything that happened in 2020. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This makes all the sense in the world with Labour wanting to appear as the government in waiting.

Let’s be honest, Boris and his government have handled the pandemic near perfectly for over a year now. The last major fuck up, in my opinion, was sending the schools back for a day in January 2021 only to close them and lock down the country that night. Lockdown 3 came too late and cost thousands of lives.

However, since that point:

- They designed a roadmap that was perfectly calibrated to the ongoing Alpha wave

- When Delta came along and led to high case rates and increasing hospitalisations, they sensibly hit the pause button and pushed freedom day back a month. This was a fair compromise between the hawks who wanted to push ahead with the reopening and the doves who wanted to actually go backwards and lock down again. The one month pause allowed for more jabs and better understanding of Delta.

- When it became clear the NHS could cope with Delta they rightly went ahead with freedom day on July 19th. Not only did this restore freedoms and boost the economy, but it allowed us to get the Delta wave out the way before the tricky winter period.

- When Omicron came along, they smartly instituted plan B measures as a precaution but resisted the pressure to lock down. Plan B measures look set to be repealed appropriately on the 26th of this month.

Labour can’t oppose the government on pandemic strategy at this point because the strategy has been executed perfectly for a year now. Starmer’s strategy should be to support the government but question their competence based on everything that happened in 2020. 

Nah I’m not having that. They might have been braver than other governments but based on what we know now it’s obvious that the roadmap was far too slow. 

A 25% full Wembley for a European championship game in June just looks ludicrous now. 

There’s absolutely no reason Glastonbury couldn’t have gone ahead either. 

7 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

“When ill or potentially infectious” doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

This idea that East Asians are masked up 24/7 and have been for two decades is a myth. 

Is that even a myth? Not one I've ever heard. They just wear them when they're ill or in crowded places where they don't want to get ill. I think that'll become the norm here too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, balthazarstarbuck said:

Always most likely to go this way. 
I do think people will have no issues having one every late autumn/ early winter (especially the millions who have flu shots at that time of year anyway) but getting people to have one quarterly of their own volition? Doubtful.

Yearly, targeted mainly at those who usually need the flu jab, available to others who want it but no mandates, no domestic vaccine passports and no coercion or threats and it'd be a sensible solution

NHS to start sacking unvaccinated staff in two weeks. As two jabs are required by April 1st that means staff have until Feb 3rd to get the first one.

80,000 workers could go.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, lost said:

NHS to start sacking unvaccinated staff in two weeks. As two jabs are required by April 1st that means staff have until Feb 3rd to get the first one.

80,000 workers could go.

They'll still only actually let them go April 1st though, and there's plenty of time to reverse it. 

I think I'm in the minority who thinks it's madness, but apparently it makes it safer for patients. 

I'd happily be treated by an unvaccinated medical professional. Actually, I'd actively choose to because I don't feel any more or less safe based on people's vaccination status. Would i get that choice? No, there'd just be nobody there instead. 

It's a rule based on the absolute fabrication that the vaccine stops transmission. And we're on the sane end of the spectrum compared to the vaccine passport countries

Edited by efcfanwirral

11 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

They'll still only actually let them go April 1st though, and there's plenty of time to reverse it. 

I think I'm in the minority who thinks it's madness, but apparently it makes it safer for patients. 

I'd happily be treated by an unvaccinated medical professional. Actually, I'd actively choose to because I don't feel any more or less safe based on people's vaccination status. Would i get that choice? No, there'd just be nobody there instead. 

It's a rule based on the absolute fabrication that the vaccine stops transmission. And we're on the sane end of the spectrum compared to the vaccine passport countries

The vaccine reduces transmission a bit. But yeah, I think something more is going on here - it's basically a purge of people from the NHS that don't believe in medical science. Whether you think that's a good thing or not is down to the individual.

47 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The vaccine reduces transmission a bit. But yeah, I think something more is going on here - it's basically a purge of people from the NHS that don't believe in medical science. Whether you think that's a good thing or not is down to the individual.

A bit yes but is that worth actually putting your health service into danger of being overwhelmed after spending two years restricting our lives to avoid that very thing? 

This will have a knock on effect on future restrictions too - they do this they aren't gone for good. 

As I said I don't care about their "beliefs" and share some of them  - but mainly I want them to be there vs not there for ideological reasons. There are enough people who would have no problem being treated by them to find a different solution, but we won't have that choice. 

3 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I just don't see the evidence on the street...  Even with the restrictions in place you have around 15% (or so) not doing it...

When the mask mandate went down to just recommended only about 5% continued to wear them.

I guess you don't get out much ?

How many people do you think regularly wear them in places like Japan and so on?

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

wel...

That NHS doctor who said he didn't want it had sound reasoning...  He had been previously infected and felt he had antibody protection so little need to have it.

That is pretty sound science.

But that protection won't be as broad as that of a vaccine and will wane more quickly. If he'd been infected a few months ago then it'd be perfectly reasonable to put off getting vaccinated for a few months more, but not to decide not to take it entirely.

I don't care that much if some NHS IT guy has the vaccine or not but given the choice I'd rather not have treatment proscribed for me by someone who thinks vaccines are pointless.