When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

This means that pretty much any covid measure that’s implemented will be enough to suppress the flu season as well. 

As the data around covid and masks is sketchy, this is possibly the reason they have come back in in England. Your not only protecting the NHS by reducing covid but it can also be done by freeing up resources from other things to deal with coivd (flu)

That said its a dangerous road to go down as it may be seen as an easy fix during periods of high NHS demand once covid has turned endemic.

42 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

this pretty much confirms what the distraction/redemption plan is- restriction removal..

They could also pardon all the people who were convicted of breaching lockdown restrictions and refund their fines. Apologise and say we were wrong on lockdowns.

That would also put pressure on Labour in Wales and the SNP in Scotland.

Edited by lost

7 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

Would help for the future too

Yep and people vote looking to the future not the past.

Its definitely playing politics but public opinion has basically been based on the level of fear. At the start fear was it highest level and the zero covid countries like China and New Zealand were held up as hero's. As we started to vaccinate and peoples fear levels dropped zero covid suddenly started to look a bit silly and unsustainable. If we are going to get another drop in level of fear based off omicrons IFR then the financial cost of lockdowns over the fear of death will start to take priority. The Tories would simply be front running public opinion demonising lockdowns. I guess it only works if they are sure they won't want to use them again.

Edited by lost

Lol I suspect the Govt put the models straight in the bin where they belong

In a research paper submitted to No10's scientific advisory group (SAGE) last week, the team at Warwick University projected up to 10,000 daily admissions in an absolute worst-case scenario.

The modellers admit that they cannot predict the summer wave 'with any certainty', but they are confident there will be a resurgence between May and July 'due to increased mixing and waning vaccine immunity'."

Plan B gone by the end of the month and isolation and mass testing need to be gone by the end of April. Any further doses should be akin to the flu jab, free for over 50’s and the vulnerable. Everyone else has to pay and no discrimination between how many anyone has had. 

Let’s end this horrible chapter and hope others follow suit. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah but if we can save at least one life....  Will be the cry from the idiots who would have us operating a new normal...

I keep hearing WFH will go but Mask mandates might remain....  its a joke..

I reckon they might keep masks on the tube e.t.c (which I'm fine with tbh) but not anywhere else. 

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah but if we can save at least one life....  Will be the cry from the idiots who would have us operating a new normal...

The way public focus works from a purely civil rights point of view we could do with a bigger issue than covid to surface over the next few months.

It could be the cost of living crisis caused by the money printing/government borrowing during covid. If interest rates rise more quickly than expected to get that inflation under control then government debt could become a massive issue. Its been my first supermarket visit of the year today after isolating with covid and it seems the new year has welcomed in 10 - 15% price rises across the board.

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

It's Japan. Mask wearing when ill or potentially infectious or in very crowded areas is common in some cultures. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where we end up, not legally mandated though.

15 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's Japan. Mask wearing when ill or potentially infectious or in very crowded areas is common in some cultures. Wouldn't be surprised if that's where we end up, not legally mandated though.

Nonsense. People follow the crowd and the majority have had enough of masks. You might get the odd few that stick with them but it won’t be a common sight. 

7 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The cost of the living crisis is a serious one.  My fixed energy deal ended in late last year and my bill has gone up 92%!!!  Plus as you say increase in food and diesel / petrol.  I am very lucky to be on a good salary.  Anyone on less is fucked.

92%! Fucking hell. The cost of living crisis is the only thing keeping me in my current job. It doesn't pay that well but it includes accommodation where I pay very cheap rent that includes bills. I'd need to earn a hell of a lot more to make that up. 

9 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think a lot of people have a huge shock when their fixed price deals end.  Its that bad now there are no fixed price deals as everyone not on one is better off on the standard rate due to the price cap.

I re-fixed just before it stopped being worse while.  It was 50/50 if this was the right call but it now seems it is as its feared prices will remain high for about two years AND the price cap is going to be increased for April making the situation even worse.

The government are going to have to do something.

Yep currently on a fixed tariff until august for £61 a month, if I wanted to switch now to a 2 year fixed tariff that would go up to £140.