When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

Surprised regarding the conclusion on masks when he confirms the aerosol theory via breathing. From what I've read the scientists who argued against masks always said they didn't work for covid as its spread via aerosols as opposite to droplets (flu)

Droplets would be caught in the mask but due to the size of the virus vs gaps in the mask via the aerosol method its like a swarm of midges flying at chain link fence.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Not sure about that...  I haven't heard much like that...

Mentioned here from the guy who advises sage on ventilation: 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/07/17/cloth-face-masks-comfort-blankets-do-little-curb-covid-spread/

Standard face coverings are just "comfort blankets" that do little to reduce the spread of Covid particles.

"Masks can catch droplets and sputum from a cough but what is important is that SARS CoV-2 is predominantly distributed by tiny aerosols." claims Dr Axon, Brunel University's senior lecturer in engineering

medics were "unable to comprehend" the miniscule elements at play, adding: "A Covid viral particle is around 100 nanometres, material gaps in blue surgical masks are up to 1,000 times that size, cloth mask gaps can be 5,000 times the size."

"The small sizes are not easily understood but an imperfect analogy would be to imagine marbles fired at builders' scaffolding, some might hit a pole and rebound, but obviously most will fly through,"

12 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

What difference did this make then other than destroying further the bank balances of already struggling football clubs.

Why is no one holding her to account.  Scots seem happy to be constantly plunged into the shit from her bad calls.

It wasn't football that she was worried about. It was the 6 nations.  She can't afford to lose her middle class support.

Edited by Lizzim

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Times reporting that the UK will be reducing the isolation period from 7 to 5 days (after 2 negative LFTs.). Due to be signed off on Thursday 

Does this help much? With the health care isolation issue thing? I was still getting positive LFTs for over even the 10s days. Are people really contracting it on Day 0, getting a positive LFT, then on days 4 and 5 it's already cleared up and they're negative? I mean maybe the vaccine/anitbodies really do work that well in people? 

Or is this solely to deal with someone getting a false positive test, in which case it'll make sod-all difference?

Isn't daily or every other day testing still compulsory for healthcare people though?  I feel like that's the biggest issue we have at the moment - that lack of supply issue for hospitals, rather than high demand. If it doesn't tackle that it's just pushing at the corners.

There's also an E-mail in the leak claiming Ivermectin inhibits covid viral replication in the body. I really hope that was sent before trails concluded it had no use as the alternative doesn't bare thinking about.

Edited by lost

3 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Does this help much? With the health care isolation issue thing? I was still getting positive LFTs for over even the 10s days. Are people really contracting it on Day 0, getting a positive LFT, then on days 4 and 5 it's already cleared up and they're negative? I mean maybe the vaccine/anitbodies really do work that well in people? 

Or is this solely to deal with someone getting a false positive test, in which case it'll make sod-all difference?

Some people test negative for 4 and 5

I think it was almost inevitably linked to the Wuhan lab in some way. It'd be a hell of a coincidence if not, for a Coronavirus outbreak to start right next to the world's biggest lab for studying Coronavirus.

Just there's a hell of a leap from "escaped in a lab accident" to "was being bioengineered as a weapon". If you're China of course you'd want to cover it up if it all turns out to be your fault because being responsible for it is really bad, but it doesn't mean you were engineering a virus to kill people.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

Some people test negative for 4 and 5

Is that common though? I genuinely don't know, just trying to understand if there's much point to this or if it's the government again doing something just to be seen to be doing something.

(Incidentally, both myself and my mother tested negative on day 9 with one of the older throat and nose swab tests, and positive on day 10 with one of the new "both nostrils" tests - I'd assume those latter tests are more sensitive - an unreported reason why isolation will have gone up)

11 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Is that common though? I genuinely don't know, just trying to understand if there's much point to this or if it's the government again doing something just to be seen to be doing something.

(Incidentally, both myself and my mother tested negative on day 9 with one of the older throat and nose swab tests, and positive on day 10 with one of the new "both nostrils" tests - I'd assume those latter tests are more sensitive - an unreported reason why isolation will have gone up)

I cant see the link now but i saw an article that says 33% of people are still infectious after day 5 post positive test with Omicron ( and 16% after day 7). it will be enough people to make the change worthwhile

9 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Yes that make sense...

It seems the only useful metrics now are the hospital numbers.

Yes they shouldn't really keep reporting death numbers and linking them to covid statistics any more, it just causes worry when people see that deaths graph without context. We should only be reporting ONS deaths data now, appreciating it wont be up to date, but will be more accurate

Very simplistically, if the UK population is 70 million and average life expectancy is 80, then on average 67,000 will die every 28 days of something, or you have a 0.1% chance of dying every month, ignoring seasonality, etc. So when cases are 150,000 per day then you would expect 150 (0.1%) of those cases to die in the next 28 days in a normal year. And even more than that this time of year

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

It is... We are slowly being weaned off all this shit...

When you consider the numbers vaccinated, boosted AND previously infected and reinfected. You are going to start seeing people testing less now and just getting on with things.

I think Boris needs a good distraction right now and needs people talking about other things.  Making moves to stop releasing daily covid stats, removal of plan B etc should hopefully all help with that.  I think thats now cemented.  Hopefully does this next week rather than the week after.

I don't really care about parties at Downstreet as much as I care about Covid restrictions being put in the bin.

Boris removes the restrictions and I will forget about his little party.

Pretty much where I am. What part of me cared about traditional politics disappeared during lockdowns. Guess that means the part of me that cares about others has gone too...