When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

The hysterical reaction from the bed wetters over the ending of free testing is fantastic 🙂 

You're hysterical Barry.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

17 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

The more i think about it the more I think its about encouraging vaccine uptake, and will be coupled with removal of the testing option for anyone with less than 3 vaccines. We're such an outlier in this

I agree. I think they'll keep testing as an option, but you'll have to pay for the test. It's the Tories so wouldn't be surprised if they say you can only used tests you've paid for also, not any you still have knocking around.

11 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

The hysterical reaction from the bed wetters over the ending of free testing is fantastic 🙂 

I've seen two hysterical reactions so far to it in this this thread, and it was you and someone else planning on panic ordering a bunch! 

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I agree. I think they'll keep testing as an option, but you'll have to pay for the test. It's the Tories so wouldn't be surprised if they say you can only used tests you've paid for also, not any you still have knocking around.

I've seen two hysterical reactions so far to it in this this thread, and it was you and someone else planning on panic ordering a bunch! 

Out of curiosity, what's you're take then? Was Boz right not to put in Xmas restrictions?

23 hours ago, zahidf said:

They'll still give LFTs for free for symptomatic testing. Moving away from asymptomatic testing has to happen at some point 

You're not supposed to do a LFT if you are symptomatic, if you have symptoms you're supposed to go straight for a PCR.

7 minutes ago, mcshed said:

You're not supposed to do a LFT if you are symptomatic, if you have symptoms you're supposed to go straight for a PCR.

Fair enough, but I suspect as it's just guidance, most people will just use the LFT

Edited by zahidf

5 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fair enough, but I suspect as it's just guidance, most people will just use the LFT

But if they were to end free LFTs for asymptomatic testing then you couldn't just still get them if you are symptomatic as they've never been on offer in that case. Ending free LFTs for asymptomatic testing means ending free LFTs.

I'm not saying this is a particularly good or bad thing I'm just saying your initial statement:

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

They'll still give LFTs for free for symptomatic testing.

Is completely wrong.

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

But if they were to end free LFTs for asymptomatic testing then you couldn't just still get them if you are symptomatic as they've never been on offer in that case. Ending free LFTs for asymptomatic testing means ending free LFTs.

I'm not saying this is a particularly good or bad thing I'm just saying your initial statement:

Is completely wrong.

The Sunday times story specifically said theyd give them for free to use it for symptomatic testing. Maybe they;; change the requirements for PCR and LFTs at the same time!

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

The Sunday times story specifically said theyd give them for free to use it for symptomatic testing. Maybe they;; change the requirements for PCR and LFTs at the same time!

Maybe they will change the whole set up I'd still posit that in no way can you "still" get LFTs for symptomatic testing, it is possible that in this brave new no testing for asymptomatic cases world you would newly and novelly get free LFTs for symptomatic tests but this would represent a further change of policy.

2 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think a change is on the cards.

If you are positive and infectious the chances of the LFT not picking it up is incredibly small - user error is the only way its not going to pick it up in reality.  There is more of a danger of a false positive from my understanding.

I never bothered with a PCR.  I felt awful and the LFT came back with a bright red line.  

There will be a move to manage this more like flu and with that testing will become a thing of the past and self isolation will become guidance. 

We would now be better place pushing the money testing is costing us into the NHS.   

LFTs being much cheaper it does make sense to use them more, but surely the story there is the end of PCRs not no more free LFTs for asymptomatic cases. As if you can still get free LFTs people will use them as they please but closing down the massively expensive PCR testing infrastructure is final.

10 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Keep in mind this wasn't a policy announcement.  This was a story being leaked to the tory press to test the waters on how the public would react to the end of mass testing.

I hadn't read the Sunday Times article but saw widespread coverage of the no more LFT freebies story so I'm baffled if the real story is the winding down of PCRs but I suppose nothing should suprise me about the press in this country.