When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

32 minutes ago, BobWillis2 said:

Straying slightly from the party line on here but is that journalist not suggesting cutting self-isolation for all cases i.e. not just cutting the period of isolation? Her response is quite snarky and not what I would expect but a bit of context surely?

From a MH perspective I feel very relieved that this looks like it's going to be 'it' in terms of our response and there'll be no further restrictions or lockdowns. The looming threat of them and the media joy in speculating about them is what makes this whole fucking miserable ordeal over the past two years even worse.

Hopefully this sort of clear indication that there'll be no more has a knock-on effect on hospitality and entertainment because these are really, really struggling right now.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

@Barry Fish will be bouncing around the room 

Great news, as due to come back in February. Been having thoughts that it would be as bad as returning last February, but so far seems it might actually be a piece of piss..... which is a bit of shame as actually was looking forward to extending our stay away a further 3 months 😁

1 hour ago, Paul ™ said:

Great news, as due to come back in February. Been having thoughts that it would be as bad as returning last February, but so far seems it might actually be a piece of piss..... which is a bit of shame as actually was looking forward to extending our stay away a further 3 months 😁

Where are you at the moment if you don’t mind me asking??

44 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

Amazing - Always wanted to go to Sri Lanka. What is it likE for tourists there at the moment?

Brilliant, they are open and places are getting busier and are needing the tourism..

Fully vaccinated only need Negative PCR <72 hours before departure, fill online health declaration and a mandatory $12 local Covid Insurance case you get it here. 
ETA 30 day visa is $36 and then once here you can extend that by 60 days for $100 and then even a further 90 days for $150. 

People are so friendly, food is cheap and delicious, beers around 500 Rs which is around £2 for a 625ml bottle of Lion Beer, £4 will get you a main meal and some even cheaper than that.. local rice and curry is around £2 too.

We spent first 2 weeks down in Unawatuna, then took another 2 weeks to go along the coast eastwards, ended up at Yala National Park. Saw Elephants, Leopards and Sloth Bear! 

Then spent 2 weeks going round Hill Country, so Ella - Haputale - Nuwara Eliya - Kandy. Now back at Unawatuna for NYE and my birthday party this weekend, and then up to Colombo for a couple of nights for my actual birthday and out for nice dinner, hotel etc.

We will then go up towards Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Anuradhapura to explore the ancient cities for a week, then even further north for another week to explore Jaffna and then back down the West Coast.. and if got time left, back to the beach for the last week or so 😛 

Masks are meant to be worn outside and obviously in shops, markets etc. Most tourists dont bother on the beach or walking about, but will put them on indoors or on a bus etc. 

Apart from that, no other restrictions really, Covid cases/deaths are fairly low... hopefully stays that way! 

Edited by Paul ™
  • Upvote 2

On 1/4/2022 at 9:30 PM, Barry Fish said:

Boris and co are still stuck in the political bollocks of having to be seen to be doing something to keep the bed wetters happy.  I expect them too slowly chip away and release the restrictions in the coming month.  People would shit the bed if they did it right now.

Wait, are the bedwetters and bedshitters on opposite sides then?

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Its mad that they're so close to us in England but doing things so differently. Reckon we've seen the back of such proposals in England or is this the final "way out"?

No, I think the ship's truly sailed in terms of Tories attempting any sort of passport idea.

Boris' cabinet rebellion recently on using them for large events was the nail in the coffin, and he can't afford to do any more stuff that'll fracture them even more. I think at some point this spring/summer they'll be quietly pulled from those large events too and be shifted to "it's up to the business in question if they want to use them".

That plus they're essentially useless with this new variant and are expensive economically – I can imagine he got a lot of private pushback from donors in hospitality when there was chatter about doing it.

7 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Could you imagine being Deepti's kid...  I can't for a second think why she might be socially anxious.  Can you imagine the amount of bollocks she puts in that kids head.

We decided right at the start of this thing that we wasn't going to put the weight of all this on our children's shoulders.  Other than early on explaining it was best we didn't see grandparents for a while so the don't catch covid (which they understood) we made it very clear this was something for adults to worry about and not them.

Some parents choose a different route and I have seen kids during this thing arriving at school literally terrified and crying at the school gates when it came time to go back to school.

For me its fucking dog shit parenting to scare your kid like that.

My kids know they HAVE to wear a mask at certain points by law and they do.  Beyond that - they don't need to worrying about this shit.

IM quite cynical but i do find it shocking to mask up kids, especially younger ones

As already mentioned when we were kids and another kid caught something our parents were straight on the phone asking if we could go around and play with them. We understood it was pretty much risk free and even beneficial to build immunity against things whilst our immune system was at its strongest.

I've noticed during the pandemic we seem to be focused on un-leaning alot of the knowledge we've built up during human history. I can understand the argument that kids could pass it on to some vulnerable but equally it seems extremely selfish to sacrifice young peoples future and not let them have the life opportunities we've had to protect in the main people who generally won't have very long left.

I guess the plan is to give all the kids a shoeshine kit and teach them how to say please and thankyou in Chinese when they are unable to compete in the global economy? 

22 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

No, I think the ship's truly sailed in terms of Tories attempting any sort of passport idea.

Boris' cabinet rebellion recently on using them for large events was the nail in the coffin, and he can't afford to do any more stuff that'll fracture them even more. I think at some point this spring/summer they'll be quietly pulled from those large events too and be shifted to "it's up to the business in question if they want to use them".

That plus they're essentially useless with this new variant and are expensive economically – I can imagine he got a lot of private pushback from donors in hospitality when there was chatter about doing it.

12 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

With this current variant the case for masks and vaccine passports is over.  Let along still putting little ones in the pointless things.

Playing devil's advocate here as I'm clearly against them - it's more about coercion for everyone to take the jabs as and when they come up, and bring about less opportunities for those not up to date with their vaccine to catch something that could put them in hospital. 

Once they admit that they don't stop the spread as much as initially promised and reframe it like that, all arguments against them disappear. 

Obviously yes masking kids all day is mental 

Edited by efcfanwirral

31 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

One thing I have learn't during the pandemic is we are a little bit racist when it comes to trusting these guys.

Yeah it's really weird. Supposedly very respected science community over there but we have to be the ones to see it for ourselves

I reckon we have trusted them completely but not in public, so we can be the ones who lead the way and show the western world the exact same things. 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

In response to this tweet.

I feel sorry for Fake SAGE'S kids. Saying that I imagine her daughter is lying and taking her mask off a lot

I feel more sorry for kids who lost parents to Covid to be honest. It's important not to judge, masking might make some kids feel more comfortable, especially if they've been on the pointy end in terms of loss.

43 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I wanted to understand why Deepti takes her kid out of school and apparently they are a "CV household".   I presume that is referring to a heart condition.

Now when you accept that covid is here forever - when does this stop for them ?   

At some point that household is getting covid - it can't be avoided forever...

I guess it stops when numbers go down and hospital capacity isn't an issue? 

16 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I feel more sorry for kids who lost parents to Covid to be honest. It's important not to judge, masking might make some kids feel more comfortable, especially if they've been on the pointy end in terms of loss.

I guess it stops when numbers go down and hospital capacity isn't an issue? 

But we don't even know if Masks work in school 

I guess if a kid is traumatised by being shown graphs about Covid by their Fake SAGE parents, they may feel more secure!

Edited by zahidf

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

In response to this tweet.

I feel sorry for Fake SAGE'S kids. Saying that I imagine her daughter is lying and taking her mask off a lot

20220106_113520.jpg

20220106_113404.jpg

20220106_113646.jpg

Such a depressing read, that poor child will take years to get over this. 

She clearly doesn’t see that she is the cause of her daughters anxiety. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f6156e4857a7d9a9d7fee18f8d6a00eb.jpeg

And to top it off this is what she’s making her wear. She’s probably getting bullied on top. 

39 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Avoid the Gym...  sounds like a really good health message...

I didn't get it at the gym the whole way through the pandemic.  I really hate gyms being suggested as being places where this spreads.  No evidence.

I've seen a lot of "I must've caught it at..." pub, football, gig etc, mainly online but even from people I know. Dig slightly deeper and their kid's school had an outbreak, their friend came over and was sneezing, they visited parents, them or their partner goes to work every single day.

But their first thought is they caught it at these perceived "dangerous" places and not via every day interactions. It's probably down to those being the places closed in the past, but it almost feels like people are programming themselves to see public gatherings or interactions as dangerous. Or perhaps to see strangers as dangerous, as obviously them and their friends are doing the right thing and wearing masks, getting vaccinated etc so surely it's someone else's fault if they catch it despite doing those things. Maybe that's some media programming coming through, which may get worse as time goes on with the slight shift to blaming the unvaccinated again happening in other counties and permeating the media a bit here too.

Either way, lockdowns seem now to be not needed because people are changing their behavior willingly. There's a bit of a storm coming for industries that rely on 2019 footfall. 

Edited by efcfanwirral

It spreads everywhere. Other than outdoor/indoor it's no worse one place than anywhere else.

But the perception is that places that were closed were places where it was more dangerous. Not true. Places that were closed were those the government thought could be closed by causing the least "damage".

But then you get people taking the opposite approach "it doesn't spread in gyms" or "no evidence of it spreading in schools". Of course it does. Gyms are not special. It doesn't spread more there than anywhere else. But that doesn't mean it doesn't spread. It spreads everywhere. Decent chance I picked it up from the chemist when I got my booster!