When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

2 hours ago, zero000 said:

Completely anecdotal but I don’t think the reduced isolation requirements are going to help very much with the staffing issues. I know 3 people who had covid over Xmas. All were double vaccinated or boosted and in their mid 20s / early 30s and all were still testing positive on LFTs at day 9/10 despite being asymptomatic at that point. 

I'm on day 8 and still testing positive so I'm stuck doing the full ten days as I expect most will.

12 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

So what's happening then? Last I heard, there wasn't going to be any new restrictions before the New Year, but we're there now so... are we expecting an announcement soon?

Reviewed tomorrow but no changes expected except for less PCR testing for travel

My girlfriend (boosted) has tested positive on a LFT with a bit of a sore throat. One of her mates caught it on NYE so we think it’s from there. I live with her and have spent every day with her since and I have done a negative lat flow (including throat swab). This happened last Christmas too and I didn’t catch it despite her and all of my family having it. How does this happen? 

3 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

You got it and was asymptomatic and then gave it her.  So when you did the test it had already passed through.

The presumption it was from the party may well be wrong.

Just one possible route.  

Maybe the LFT didn't detect it.  Maybe you didn't do the test properly.  Maybe you have natural immunity from previous cornovirus infections.  Maybe your one of the lucky ones who immune system dealt with it without a vaccine.

Lots of possibilities 

Yeah just assumed she had it from the party given it had a confirmed case and other attendees feel a bit iffy since, but as you say the possibilities are virtually limitless. I have also had 3 vaccines for what it’s worth! I had a runny nose last week but tested daily and again negative throughout. 

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Scotland setting new Infection records.  Bet they are glad they imposed extra restrictions.

I was out having a drink with a couple of friends after Christmas. We were in a bar and whilst one of my friends was at the toilet a Scottish guy approached two of us pretty drunk to ask us which were the best bars in town as he'd decided on a jolly south to beat the restrictions.

3 days later me and my mate who he approached have tested positive whilst the one who was at the toilet negative. That's why they need more restrictions I guess.

I'm only double jabbed but just a stuffy nose thankfully.

Edited by lost

1 hour ago, hodgey123 said:

My girlfriend (boosted) has tested positive on a LFT with a bit of a sore throat. One of her mates caught it on NYE so we think it’s from there. I live with her and have spent every day with her since and I have done a negative lat flow (including throat swab). This happened last Christmas too and I didn’t catch it despite her and all of my family having it. How does this happen? 

Covid sort of isn't worth analysing in this respect as it's never a certainty that it's going to infect you at any time. I have heard of countless examples in my social group where one person in a couple is positive and the other doesn't get it at all, despite living/sleeping together. Same with kids who bring it home only ever infecting one parent. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

1 hour ago, jannybruck said:

Covid sort of isn't worth analysing in this respect as it's never a certainty that it's going to infect you at any time. I have heard of countless examples in my social group where one person in a couple is positive and the other doesn't get it at all, despite living/sleeping together. Same with kids who bring it home only ever infecting one parent. It's just the luck of the draw sometimes.

Yeah I agree just find it strange, particularly given how infectious Omicron particularly is. Maybe I’ll test positive later this week. 

6 hours ago, zahidf said:

Sounds proportionate

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/edinburgh-news/just-one-scottish-omicron-patient-22629607?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Just one Scottish Omicron patient required intensive care treatment in last five weeks

Is that true? I assume that person recovered as well? So noone has died of Omicron covid in the past 5 weeks in Scotland, is that what this is saying? Or people have died from covid but they didnt know they were had the Omicron variant? So they all died from other variants or other causes (after a positive covid test). I would be interested to see the data behind that headline

3 hours ago, jannybruck said:

Yeah it sometimes just doesn't make any sense. Me and the girlfriend got ill on the same day after a day at Leeds fest, same symptoms (normal cold) and only got picked up as covid when she did a lateral flow ahead of a festival - mine was negative but i wasn't as bad illness wise. By the time the PCR arrived I was pretty much fighting fit and she had a regular flu type thing - she was positive i was negative. Baffling really. Must've kicked it quick before it became a problem

One thing that did impress me was that her LFTs went negative as she felt better so made me trust them more

Edited by efcfanwirral

26 minutes ago, hodgey123 said:

It’s also not new and was discovered before Omicron. It couldn’t out-compete Delta and won’t Omicron either, but Feigl-Ding will chuck some emojis about and whip up some hysteria! 

Oh for sure. Anything to keep the scare stories going

10 hours ago, hodgey123 said:

It’s also not new and was discovered before Omicron. It couldn’t out-compete Delta and won’t Omicron either, but Feigl-Ding will chuck some emojis about and whip up some hysteria! 

That guy is a total disgrace and I don’t know how he can sleep at night. I genuinely loathe him so much. It’s so transparent he’s using the pandemic to speed hysteria and gain a following. Disgraceful.

The problem is not in the modelling where they are designed to be testing out every possible scenario in terms of public behaviour and implementation, it's how these models are pushed out in the media and discussed on social media. Newspapers and blue tick Twitter types or whoever will pick the worst possible death/hospitalisation stat and run with it – completely ignoring all the other possible scenarios that model has popped out. We've seen so many "up to x thousand per day" headlines and the papers very handily gloss over the "up to" bit. The models are not predictions, but they're being treated as such, and that's where the lines get blurred. Scientists and data boffins who aren't media trained are being chewed up and spat out by this sort of relentless media hunger for disaster.

It worries me that we're facing up to an even bigger human challenge as soon as covid is over – in the form of climate change – where trust in science and models and people who genuinely know their shit is going to be automatically dismissed as scaremongering because so many of these covid models were "wrong".

Edited by jannybruck

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I was reading about this last night and how yet again the models have been proven to be utterly wrong.  Their defence is behavioural change but that means at best the modelling is being used to scare monger.  I don't think people did change their behaviour all that much from the people I know.  Most people did Christmas / New Year as they wanted too in England.

Has the modelling at any point during the pandemic been proven to be right now ?  

In terms of behavioural change, there have been plenty of posts even on here from people in hospitality saying numbers are down so it's definitely happening. 

30 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

In terms of behavioural change, there have been plenty of posts even on here from people in hospitality saying numbers are down so it's definitely happening. 

It's incredible watching just how much government announcements effect customer behaviour. Plan B and "Think carefully about who you'd like to see over Christmas" shit all over our December bookings... but "No new restrictions before new year" swung things the other way. A lot of the December stuff was people worrying about missing Christmas for a second year.

We've currently got a cocktail of Christmas being out the way, lots of people getting it and experiencing mild symptoms, new restrictions not coming in, Omicron being less potent and pandemic fatigue. I sense (and hope) that people are becoming more confident, more hopeful and less scared of other people. 

What are everyones staff levels now we’re back in the office? We’re missing about 25% of the workforce due to “covid” all though quite a few of the missing could just be still hungover and they used that as a reason to take a few extra days. 

21 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

What are everyones staff levels now we’re back in the office? We’re missing about 25% of the workforce due to “covid” all though quite a few of the missing could just be still hungover and they used that as a reason to take a few extra days. 

12 from 176 "out" for us. 

Although not all specifically due to positive covid tests as we have also asked any close contacts of positive cases to WFH this week whilst Christmas mixing works it's way through the system so to speak.

Edited by JoeyT