When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

For anyone wondering if that guy's account was a piss take - if he's American maybe not. I didn't quite understand how polarised and angry people are there til I read this non covid thread. I'd recommend having  a scroll through. It's really quite disturbing 

I find it fucking weird to mask up kids

17 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

They really need to be figuring out ways to dthetail who's going in specifically for covid related symptoms and is positive. It's useless having these sorts of figures when community transmission is so high now.

The split will be out tomorrow I believe.

Well

Just now, zahidf said:

Well

Conservativehome?!

12 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Tested positive on LFT on Boxing Day and PCR the following day. Can confirm omicron is not that bad. Not pleasant by any means but definitely not worth missing out on your life over. Go out and enjoy yourselves 😀

Feeling a bit more grim this evening but still nothing to suggest that covid is any worse than a bog-standard respiratory virus.

What an absolute overreaction by some in the scientific community the last two years have been. In the last week alone I’ve seen some rent-a-gob suggest that testing positive for HIV is preferable to testing positive for covid, and another predict that the pandemic will lead to the average age of an Alzheimer’s diagnosis falling from 85 to 60 as “long covid” will lead to dementia. 

40 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Feeling a bit more grim this evening but still nothing to suggest that covid is any worse than a bog-standard respiratory virus.

What an absolute overreaction by some in the scientific community the last two years have been. 

Alternatively: the vaccines work.

12 hours ago, TheSheriff said:

That’s a really worrying outlook, he clearly has issues. His views are bordering on extremism. Somehow soon we’ve got to build bridges between the pro lockdown (scared) and the anti vax covid is a hoax lot. Society really depends on it 

This should be achievable, with compromise on both sides:

* Society agrees not to make vaccines mandatory (directly or indirectly)

* Non-invasive mitigations to be retained: ventilation as part of building codes, opening windows if it’s not too cold, social distancing where not inconvenient, table spacing in restaurants when not full, hand sanitiser to remain available, etc. Not just for Covid but for all illnesses.

* People are educated about the benefits to the wearer of high efficacy masks

* Airlines and travel providers offer ”masks required” and ”masks optional” products so people can choose the services they prefer 

* Investments are made in healthcare to further reduce the chances of healthcare becoming overloaded in the event of future waves

* Isolation requirements are dropped, and replaced with strong guidance to minimise contacts and wear high efficacy masks in the event of all infectious illnesses (not just Covid)

* Lateral Flow (LFD) Testing to be retained and become more available to reduce risks to the anxious or vulnerable, but a nominal fee is applied [to be borne by employers if they require it]. Free PCR testing to be scrapped because it costs more than a vaccine and in 90% of cases tells someone something they can already find out from an LFD for £1. 

Edited by JoshD

6 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Its basically flu...

While the board was down I think MP's were told its a hybrid?

You've got I think 7 other human corona viruses and hundreds of animal ones. None of them have this furin cleavage site which flu viruses use to evade the human immune system. Its a virus we thought was impossible to exist in nature. In a completely unrelated matter the Wuhan lab published a paper a few years ago saying we are going to graft a furin cleavage site onto a corona virus and see what happens.

42 minutes ago, lost said:

You've got I think 7 other human corona viruses and hundreds of animal ones. None of them have this furin cleavage site which flu viruses use to evade the human immune system. Its a virus we thought was impossible to exist in nature. In a completely unrelated matter the Wuhan lab published a paper a few years ago saying we are going to graft a furin cleavage site onto a corona virus and see what happens.

most scientists think it crossed species...but we may never actually know...so there will always be the lab theory.

All seems a bit too suspect to ever fully believe the “got to us via another species” argument but given the consequences for the world if it turned out blame could be affixed to any country *cough* China *cough then it’s likely a blind eye will be turned and the facts will never be in the public domain.

Some cautious optimism from the two highest rated german experts Christian Drosten and Henrik Streeck for the next year: „In a way, that can calm us down. South Africa is certainly a glimpse into a future, in an endemic situation that is just emerging there” says Drosten and “It is of course a good situation if you have a virus that no longer makes you so sick, but that is easily transmissible, so that in principle it finds all immunity gaps in the population”. Streeck added that he doesnt`t think more restrictions will be needed in Germany as the mutation seems to be milder than expected and that the next summer will be “very relaxed” for all.

51 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

All seems a bit too suspect to ever fully believe the “got to us via another species” argument but given the consequences for the world if it turned out blame could be affixed to any country *cough* China *cough then it’s likely a blind eye will be turned and the facts will never be in the public domain.

most viral diseases in humans crossed species.

27 minutes ago, HansHoenig said:

Some cautious optimism from the two highest rated german experts Christian Drosten and Henrik Streeck for the next year: „In a way, that can calm us down. South Africa is certainly a glimpse into a future, in an endemic situation that is just emerging there” says Drosten and “It is of course a good situation if you have a virus that no longer makes you so sick, but that is easily transmissible, so that in principle it finds all immunity gaps in the population”. Streeck added that he doesnt`t think more restrictions will be needed in Germany as the mutation seems to be milder than expected and that the next summer will be “very relaxed” for all.

quite a bit of optimism around this morning I guess because it's new years eve and this year has been so shit...especially as SA cases are rapidly decreasing, but also from WHO bloke in that we know so much more about the disease and how to deal with it. Hopefully next year is better...but I don't think it will be normal..back to how it was pre pandemic...but should be a lot better, especially here where we're full of antibodies and t-cells and shit.