When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

Ongoing restrictions to protect the NHS OR use the money saved from not having restrictions to fund additional capacity in the NHS? I know which one sounds better to me.

God forbid we may end up with staff having extra time to twiddle their thumbs though! Or have more time off! Or provide additional care to patients! Or not resent their jobs!

Just now, Justiceforcedave said:

Ongoing restrictions to protect the NHS OR use the money saved from not having restrictions to fund additional capacity in the NHS? I know which one sounds better to me.

God forbid we may end up with staff having extra time to twiddle their thumbs though! Or have more time off! Or provide additional care to patients! Or not resent their jobs!

Option 2 will be way more useful when the next virus comes along. One we don’t have vaccines for.

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I knew it. Fake SAGE lot want forever restrictions.  Don't give them an inch I say

20211226_125247.jpg

Don’t you find it strange there isn’t any sort of indie sage equivalent in America? Can’t be coincidence. It’s because Indie Sage is more of a political power than anything - they are essentially an anti-Tory pressure group that think making things really shit in the UK will force people to vote Labour/LibDem.

The literal foundation of INDIE sage is to oppose the governments strategy to COVID at every turn. 

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, fraybentos1 said:

Every time I see that Kit Yates guy he's saying the exact same thing. I also think Deepti has lost the plot, she is so hostile to anyone who disagrees with her lol.

Hopefully the UK gov stands firm and rides out the next few weeks unlike up here where we have '3 weeks' of pointless restrictions.

Yup. Straight up lying about Omicron

20211226_152248.jpg

21 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Murmurs that Boris will hold his nerve and at worst we’ll be given guidance rather than restrictions.

YLTSI.

If we get to February then it'll set a precedent for the future, but we know from last year (and every other year) that the NHS really struggles in January and all numbers will go up, including staff absences, so even if nothing comes in today I'd imagine we're no more than a week away from something in law. Hopefully nothing too bad but considering gigs and football are all I've got planned between now and March I feel i'll be disappointed! 

That said, NHS probably does need us all to be a bit cautious the next few weeks 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/24/nhs-is-grinding-to-a-halt-as-even-triple-jabbed-staff-catch-covid-15819993/ - this is interesting - doesn't sound like a lockdown would help that much. What would we be waiting for? More jabs?

Edited by efcfanwirral

My prediction now is the government will hold off - the public support really isn’t there anymore. Even the most COVID conscious in my family have now had enough. They are getting older and know it, they don’t want to miss time with family and loved ones they can’t get back.

Boris and the vote leave government always follow the vote winning formula. What is a vote winner is probably what they think first.

Don’t Look Up did a great rendition of this if you’ve seen it. Government led by short term populism.

Edited by Matt42

2 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

If we get to February then it'll set a precedent for the future, but we know from last year (and every other year) that the NHS really struggles in January and all numbers will go up, including staff absences, so even if nothing comes in today I'd imagine we're no more than a week away from something in law. Hopefully nothing too bad but considering gigs and football are all I've got planned between now and March I feel i'll be disappointed! 

That said, NHS probably does need us all to be a bit cautious the next few weeks 

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/24/nhs-is-grinding-to-a-halt-as-even-triple-jabbed-staff-catch-covid-15819993/ - this is interesting - doesn't sound like a lockdown would help that much. What would we be waiting for? More jabs?

I posted it earlier but SAGE themselves it's too late for restrictions to effect things. For better or worse we've made our choice.

Cases will be so high after this week that surely a lockdown at a later date is going to be a waste of time isn’t it?

If they were ever going to do it, then it needed to be before the whole country mixed with families etc over Christmas period, which they held back on (thankfully).