When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Sure some people would and others would just invent bubbles and crack on.

The point is - the government can't force anyone to do anything and I doubt they will try.

They never could: some people would follow the rules, some won't. None of it was enforceable (unless you were poor and the police wanted an easy arrest of course)

I suspect compliance this time around will be a lot less in any event. But Rishi and Javid aren't really giving the impression that they will support restrictions 

53 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Sure some people would and others would just invent bubbles and crack on.

The point is - the government can't force anyone to do anything and I doubt they will try.

The government where fine with it being less effective than it was so I'm sure if the situation gets worse they'd be willing to reintroduce measures even if they are less effective than they were previously. Enforcement was never possible so I don't think that's a barrier.

I also doubt they will try but only because I don't think the situation will get bad enough to require it not because "the people" have decided they won't comply.

4 minutes ago, zahidf said:

careful, you need to post a crazy post from a male scientists as well or you're a misogynist apparently.

4 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Be careful you'll be accused of misogyny.

I'll give you this stat that boosters are quickly picking up pace by the looks of it 

14 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

It didn't come across that way to anyone else.

Crazy is just angry he keeps being proved wrong and masks aren't the kinky new thing anymore 

It comes across that way to me too. I didn't call it out because I can't point at posts and say this and this and this makes me think that. And also my perception isn't necessarily reality. But don't want my not commenting on it to be used as evidence I'm not seeing it - because I get that impression too.

1 hour ago, mcshed said:

Hopefully not, even under last year's rules we like the Prime Minister availed ourselves of a childcare bubble to allow my mother to stay with us for a few days, although this year's plans are different anyway. 

I'm not advocating a ban on mixing, I think things would need to be a lot worse for that, and I'm not convinced things can get that bad with the level of vaccine protection we have, all I'm saying is if the government did instigate such a ban some people would be less likely to meet up and some would behave themselves and follow the rules entirely. 

I think we'll end up back with some sort of Christmas restrictions like the ones planned last year, maybe a bit looser. But just an attempt to avoid people going to stay with one set of elderly relatives then the next day going to stay with different ones, which would seem to be absolutely the worst thing you could do.

13 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think people who want masks are very troubled people.  They need support from mental health workers really.

We're still looking at 82% of people wearing masks at some point: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58979626

Our attitude with mental health is generally to getting the minority to conform to the majority so it's more likely we'd look at interventions for those who struggle to wear masks than the other way around...

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

We're still looking at 82% of people wearing masks at some point: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-58979626

Our attitude with mental health is generally to getting the minority to conform to the majority so it's more likely we'd look at interventions for those who struggle to wear masks than the other way around...

Different statistics to those wearing masks all the time:

Between 15 July and 22 September there was an 12-point drop (from 72% to 60%) in the number of people in the UK who said they were "wearing a face mask when in public places".

That 82% probably includes trips to doctors or crowded tube trains e.t.c. Im not a fan of masks, but i will wear them in those circumstances. 

24 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I think people who want masks are very troubled people.  They need support from mental health workers really.

Each to their own at the moment IMO. I dont criticise anyone wearing a mask as long as they mind their own business as well. 

got my booster for Sat. That's the important thing, everyone needs to get sorted asap

44 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Good point on getting rid of masks asap

Let the nail meet the head

image.png.5eea2526fbb9509b42011f81d6ee05c4.png

I don't oppose a face covering mandate because I don't like wearing them. In fact I don't mind wearing them at all. My face nappy of choice is the little blue surgical masks that fit nicely around my nose and mouth and will help keep me warm going into winter.

No, the reason I'm against face nappy mandates is because I don't like looking at other people wearing them. They are completely dehumanising.

I don't want to get the bus to Sainsburys and feel like I'm on a bus load of workers attending the site of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Let the nail meet the head

image.png.5eea2526fbb9509b42011f81d6ee05c4.png

I don't oppose a face covering mandate because I don't like wearing them. In fact I don't mind wearing them at all. My face nappy of choice is the little blue surgical masks that fit nicely around my nose and mouth and will help keep me warm going into winter.

No, the reason I'm against face nappy mandates is because I don't like looking at other people wearing them. They are completely dehumanising.

I don't want to get the bus to Sainsburys and feel like I'm on a bus load of workers attending the site of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster.

But while that's legit, we're not totally out of the woods yet are we? As much as we might want to think things are back to normal, they're not (try getting insurance for a tour in December) - we're still seeing rising cases and they keep raising the possibility of more restrictions. And we keep thinking we've reached the peak and then it turns out we haven't.

Having some visual reminder that things aren't 100% back to normal and that it's still worth having some caution is surely useful when, y'know, things aren't back to normal quite yet.

I get it, it effects me the same way, I spend a few hours somewhere with no masks and I forget about all this crap and it's nice. But it doesn't mean it's all actually gone away. 

(And frankly that's the only argument I can see for masks in non socially-distanced settings. I'm getting quite wound up by lefty comics moaning on Twitter about how people are giving up on wearing masks while playing sold out 100% occupancy theatre shows.)

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

But while that's legit, we're not totally out of the woods yet are we? As much as we might want to think things are back to normal, they're not (try getting insurance for a tour in December) - we're still seeing rising cases and they keep raising the possibility of more restrictions. And we keep thinking we've reached the peak and then it turns out we haven't.

Having some visual reminder that things aren't 100% back to normal and that it's still worth having some caution is surely useful when, y'know, things aren't back to normal quite yet.

I get it, it effects me the same way, I spend a few hours somewhere with no masks and I forget about all this crap and it's nice. But it doesn't mean it's all actually gone away. 

(And frankly that's the only argument I can see for masks in non socially-distanced settings. I'm getting quite wound up by lefty comics moaning on Twitter about how people are giving up on wearing masks while playing sold out 100% occupancy theatre shows.)

Was that Robin Ince specifically? i like him normally, but it was getting bit much watching him post a selfie of him looking sad in a mask on a train moaning about how selfish other people on the train are. 

I guess the question is when will be in a position to not wear masks: virus aint going to go away, so there has to a point when we do try to move on. Now seems like a good point, on the basis i dont think things are going to get much better. 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

It was Richard Herring but then saw a few others post similar stuff in response. Seeing Robin three times in December!

Ah, herring! hes recently recovered from cancer, so i was giving him a little more leeway, just because he was feeling more vulnerable. 

Robin insists on masks in the audience, so dont forget it!

Bragg is also winding me up a bit with his 'i wear a mask because im not a Tory' t shirt. Nice one politicising it! 

( his response, 'Im not politicising it, its the Tories for not wearing masks...')

10 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

6 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Was that Robin Ince specifically? i like him normally, but it was getting bit much watching him post a selfie of him looking sad in a mask on a train moaning about how selfish other people on the train are. 

I've seen plenty of this recently as I follow lots on there. There was one who was saying restrictions shouldn't have been lifted in July but happily played Latitude that weekend and recently I've seen others saying about increasing restrictions now but forgetting that means they might have to return to small capacity/zoom shows.  I totally get its their income and there's no other way about it but I think again they need to fully consider the trade offs to get working again

21 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

Actually I saw someone wearing a proper gas mask thing on train yesterday. Respect.

Was it one of these?

https://www.razer.com/gb-en/gear-accessories/razer-zephyr

Two N95 filters, the ultimate accessory for any gamer. Think I'll just stick with their mouse.

21 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I think there’s a tendency to think that masks and distancing are a “one or the other” type measure, where masks should be worn when you can’t keep 2m apart.

In fact, you and I both understand that masks and distancing are measures that both work better in conjunction with one another. 

16 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

I've seen plenty of this recently as I follow lots on there. There was one who was saying restrictions shouldn't have been lifted in July but happily played Latitude that weekend and recently I've seen others saying about increasing restrictions now but forgetting that means they might have to return to small capacity/zoom shows.  I totally get its their income and there's no other way about it but I think again they need to fully consider the trade offs to get working again

Yeah - I know it's also because if they get sick, or even a positive test, they don't get sick pay and likely have to pay cancellation monies to the venues (because insurance is thin on the ground) - but they don't know how many of their audience might be in a similar position.

Like we went to Frank Turner's festival in September and at one point he was actively trying to get circle pits started in the crowd. Which, okay. But then it's the first time that I've seen him play a show and not go crowd surfing himself in about 7 years. I get they don't really have much choice except to be hypocrites but they could at least not go complaining about the behaviour of others.

(I see that sort of thing as distinct from the Latitude example which is more "well, I don't think we should be doing this, but if that's the strategy I'm not missing out)