When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

20 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Oh you say "just" killing kids...    you are creating a fantasy situation ?

You know give me a little the details and I will tell you what I would do.  

What's the % chance of death etc.  

If we are talking a pretty high chance then I would of probably taken additional steps to protect them.

The key question is if I would of locked up the elderly from a virus that doesn't impact them and so on.  I think I would feel exactly the same.  No reason to think otherwise is there.

Yea saying "Just" was rubbish sorry Mainly looking at a reversal of what has happened so the young more likely to die than the ok. Only asked as I have heard a few people recently saying "it only affects the old, we shouldn't have bothered"

Edited by fred quimby

15 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

I would be surprised if anyone here didn't lose someone they know during this.

I know quite a few people who died.  Doesn't  really change my thoughts on it all.

Me, not anyone that I know. Got 2 parents in there 90's as well. 

Doesn't really change my mind either

Just now, fred quimby said:

Me, not anyone that I know. Got 2 parents in there 90's as well. 

Doesn't really change my mind either

A friend of my mum with alzheimers living in a care home died of it, saddest part of it was family not being able to visit. I know a few people my age (40s/50s) who ended up in hospital with it and survived, but one in particular is still struggling with physical and mental issues, he was in an induced coma for about a month.

10 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

A friend of my mum with alzheimers living in a care home died of it, saddest part of it was family not being able to visit. I know a few people my age (40s/50s) who ended up in hospital with it and survived, but one in particular is still struggling with physical and mental issues, he was in an induced coma for about a month.

Yea I can imagine there are issues after. 

42 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

Now one of yours. And was wondering about this. If say the virus was just killing kids do you feel that you would have felt the same?

Just wondering is all

Oh come on 😂 the boomers would be lining up to fuck over the youngsters as they do every few years at the ballot box.

The generation that has had the largest percentage of covid deaths are among the worst ever for ignoring the interests of those younger than them. A truly awful group of people. 

35 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The resistance to learning lessons is telling here.

On balance I think there is an argument for some of the things we did and very little evidence to support many of the others.  But even then during various waves the profile and what you needed to do changed as well / how much you forgive mistakes.

The idea any of us would change their mind if it impacted a family member is bollocks though.  I would be surprised if anyone here didn't lose someone they know during this.

I know quite a few people who died.  Doesn't  really change my thoughts on it all.

Not me.

Which shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone tbh. The current death toll is just under 140,000 or roughly 1-in-500 people. It’s incredibly feasible that most of us won’t know anyone who’s died. 

3 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Oh come on 😂 the boomers would be lining up to fuck over the youngsters as they do every few years at the ballot box.

The generation that has had the largest percentage of covid deaths are among the worst ever for ignoring the interests of those younger than them. A truly awful group of people. 

says someone who voted tory.

18 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Oh come on 😂 the boomers would be lining up to fuck over the youngsters 

Haha just like what you want to do 🙄

19 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Oh come on 😂 

Blimey. Person shouts at a whole generation, yes all of them

51 minutes ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

Not me.

Which shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone tbh. The current death toll is just under 140,000 or roughly 1-in-500 people. It’s incredibly feasible that most of us won’t know anyone who’s died. 

Nor me, thankfully. 

And probably only in single figures for people who definitely had it too

Living in the SW and with the area having escaped the worse of it (until now ofc) has meant that I too don’t know of one person who has died due to covid.

I know plenty who have had it with no lasting issues or “long covid” but then that probably has as much to do with my age & those whom I know’s age than anything else.

Finally caught up with that Blair/Brown documentary on Monday nights.

I'd completely forgot there was a flu epidemic over the winter of 2000/2001 that hit labour in the polls in the run up to the GE. Hospitals completely overloaded, no beds, people dying on trolleys in hospital corridors (don't think we've had any of the later during covid)

Then of course everyone went out and voted labour (including me) in 2001 handing a landslide to a party that wanted people to die. They really were different times.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Finally caught up with that Blair/Brown documentary on Monday nights.

I'd completely forgot there was a flu epidemic over the winter of 2000/2001 that hit labour in the polls in the run up to the GE. Hospitals completely overloaded, no beds, people dying on trolleys in hospital corridors (don't think we've had any of the later during covid)

Then of course everyone went out and voted labour (including me) in 2001 handing a landslide to a party that wanted people to die. They really were different times.

It was bad, but was over a much shorter time frame, and triggered the need for investment in NHS over next 8 years...

5 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The evidence is already there with a 40% footfall drop at night clubs in Scotland and they are closing early 

It's interesting - I would've assumed some reduction in footfall would show they're working, but it seems more than expected don't want the inconvenience (I'm against them but if I wasn't, I'd see it as a minor inconvenience, no different to showing the NHS app for most gigs this summer). Surely 40% of nightclub goers aren't made up of the 10-15% unvaccinated in Scotland? So some of that 40% are vaccinated and not doing it for whatever reason. 

The only way certification would work is going like some American states and rolling it out everywhere including workplaces and restaurants, essentially keeping the unvaccinated in their homes.

I was surprised seeing in that Politico article that the places certification would be needed for are only responsible for 2-13% of overall community transmission. I suspected it was low but that's even lower than I expected. This focus on mass events is not only misguided but potentially dangerous- that's the first impact assessment we've seen, and while every little helps I think if we did urgently need to bring cases down, then this disproportionate focus on places where it doesn't spread could mean we ignore where it does. 

Which then brings us to the conclusion from that article- that Plan B won't really help if they're wanting to reduce cases. But will they actually do nothing if things start to look really bad? 

I'm more concerned at seeing the conclusion that Plan B isn't great, because they'll be looking at a plan C now. 

Doesn't make any sense to me. I'm still social distancing from people who either look vulnerable or really old.. i'll give them 1 to 2 metres at the supermarket or out and about as that to me seems the biggie. We know vaccines are not a silver bullet when your immune system starts to go and it probably adds maybe 2 minutes to your shop if your waiting for someone to move away from a shelf.

On the other hand I'm not particularly bothered if an unvaccinated 19 year old is stood near double jabbed 40 something me at a bar as you can also catch covid from vaccinated people. I think we need to move away from worrying about cases, in fact natural immunity in the younger population has always seemed like a good thing to me even before the vaccines were out as it acts like a form of partial herd immunity.

5 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I don't really understand why this Plan B shite is even in the news now.

If we continue to see a sustained drop in cases it's irrelevant isn't it?!

Yeah but its the very start of winter - we saw what happened last November and December, and while there's modelling saying it'll go down by Christmas, it's pretty much the same modelling that said 100k cases / 7k hospitalisations so I'm not believing that any more than the more outlandish models in the other direction.

If we get through to Feb/March without it getting bad enough to have restrictions we can confidently say we're all good, but for now it's not even started

Edited by efcfanwirral

3 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I don't really understand why this Plan B shite is even in the news now.

If we continue to see a sustained drop in cases it's irrelevant isn't it?!

I think it maybe based on vaccine/booster takeup rather than case numbers as a coercive thing.

Purely anecdotal and maybe fantastic at keeping you out of hospital but AstraZeneca in particular seems to be absolutely dogshit at stopping you catching covid and passing it on. I know more post jabbed people that have had it than before the jabs came out.

20 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

On the question on who would have been happy to see die in your own family.  Its obviously a ridiculous question as no one is going go serve up a loved one.  But if the question if I would of accepted a riskier existence for my own gran to avoid lockdowns then yes I would of done.  The idea lockdowns save lives has always been on weak ground.

But it's nearly always someone's loved one. It's an interesting thought experiment as it determines whether you actually deeply hold the fundamental view that the deaths are a valid trade-off for more freedom, or not normalise lockdowns or whatever, or rather based on your own personal circumstances, you're willing to gamble that it won't be you. In your case it's the second one, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that - but it's important to realise that that choice is based on your personal circumstances (how vulnerable your loved ones are, how effectively they can be shielded and so on). Which means others in different circumstances might feel differently, and you have see that as valid also, even if it's not what you'd do.

20 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

The reason people die from covid is because3

- They went out and caught it in the first place

- They don’t have a good enough immune system to fight off a relatively minor virus.

They didn't necessarily go out. Someone may have "come in" and passed it on to them. The notion that everyone can just shut themselves away from any human contact whatsoever for 12 months is, as we say, for the birds. Even the mental health stuff aside, it's just not practical. Vulnerable people often live with other people (even more so as they often need health) and these are often family members. Who have other jobs they have to go do to pay the mortgage on the place they're living in. Or they're visited by carers who also visit a load of other people and can spread it around. Or if those carers are vulnerable because they're diabetic or obese they then can't even do that job...

The only way it would work is if you were to put all the vulnerable people in big houses where they were all looked after together. Which is what care homes are, and we saw how that worked out.

19 hours ago, Fuzzy Afro said:

It’s all over for fake SAGE 😂😂😂

Deepti 😂

Pagel 😂😂

Clarke 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

This is like your tenth post about how fake SAGE are done in this thread 😄

17 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

You seemed to be happy with restrictions throughout which actually did say fuck em to some of those people on the list in favour of covid patients.

You aren't bright enough to work that out sadly.  Plenty of people missed chemo etc.

That happened because hospitals were overloaded because of COVID patients, not because of restrictions. I don't disagree that we got the triage wrong on COVID versus other illness. Very badly wrong in a lot of cases. 

But that's nothing to do with restrictions - beyond maybe the idea that if we'd bought in restrictions sooner we could have avoided having to triage at all.