When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

8 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

press conference Monday? I'd be shocked if they can resist this pressure 

Nah, can't see it any time soon personally. Shit has to really hit the fan in terms of figures and case numbers for them to do something as unpopular as bringing back restrictions - they're probably making sure it can be rolled out quickly behind the scenes, but the 'NHS under pressure' stuff the media are gunning for at the moment is too abstract for them to cave in for.

6 hours ago, assorted said:

Pressure created by media only demanding restrictions. 

not sure government are going to care about what guardian and independent say, and you could argue there was a lot of pressure for freedom day back in the spring from mail/telegraph/sun etc. Data from hospitals and what scientific advisers are saying will in the end be what leads to more restrictions, and also tory MPs who will very much be against (unless really bad). I reckon it's 50/50 whether we have to have plan B, maybe half term will help a bit and a big drive to get boosters rolled out and kids jabbed will help prevent the need for it, just have to see. Govt will be worried about things getting bad later in the winter and they'll get accused of not following advice and acting too late again.

• Upvote 1

Seen an article outlining Plan B. It’s from a tabloid so won’t post a link but I will copy the text below to save people clicking on trash…..

REUTERS   

Leaked Whitehall memo detailing 'immediate' Winter Plan B measures to stop Covid

The alleged document outlines a string of measures that could be introduced under a 'Plan B' - including working from home, vaccine passports for nightclubs, and the return of legally mandated face masks

Follow The Mirror to read more great stories like this

Officials are considering an 'immediate' rollout of Plan B Covid-19 restrictions, according to reports of a leaked memo.

The email was sent from the UK Health Security Agency to local council leaders and directors of Public Health late last week, it is claimed.

The alleged document outlines a string of measures that could be introduced under a 'Plan B' - including working from home, vaccine passports for nightclubs, and the return of legally mandated face masks.

According to the Scum , an official wrote: "I have been asked to canvas opinion on the level of support for immediate roll out of the Winter Plan - Plan B."

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

I doubt anyone really thinks it will nake any difference but it makes people feel like something is being done so it makes good politics in the end.  Still going to see the same amount of death to be frank.

That's the biggest concern with bringing in "plan B" now - it sets the precedent to bring in a plan C or plan D when it inevitably gets worse as the winter goes on, flu spreads more etc. I still reckon most spread is in homes and workplaces, and prolonged contact with people you know so not sure what this focus on public places will do beyond damaging businesses.

Do plan B this early and its a realistic path to lockdown

IF "something needs to be done" I definitely think they're looking at the wrong things. No idea what they should be looking at but that shows the lack of connection between booster takeup and vaccine passports, one of the three parts of plan B, and inexplicably part of the threats around increasing booster takeup

So that's another third of plan B that won't really help the NHS all that much...

My biggest thing is IF they have to do restrictions, it'd be best if they actually did something...

Edited by efcfanwirral

1 hour ago, efcfanwirral said:

IF "something needs to be done" I definitely think they're looking at the wrong things.

Paton is another HART loon. I'm sure that there are lots of genuine points but sourcing uncited graphs and information from Dave off Twitter really undermines any arguments either way. He's clearly using selective cropped data to make one narrow point ignoring wider issues and context. 

Someone even posted Adam someone (@essexPR? ) the other day, a TOWIE pub landlord, dispensing Covid wisdom whoever will listen. Community radio presenters with a degree in philosophy, mathematicians, GBNews....etc.people need to give their head a wobble and not take every word these grifters say without sourcing and verifying the facts. Some of them have been found out out and deleted accounts but the same stuff still pops upon here. Use cited and verifiable information such as ONS and Gov.uk otherwise you're basically doing the Covid tango on the fringe.

Some of these loon Twitter dumps underline why some people still need cooking instructions on tins of soup.

2 hours ago, Copperface said:

Paton is another HART loon. I'm sure that there are lots of genuine points but sourcing uncited graphs and information from Dave off Twitter really undermines any arguments either way. He's clearly using selective cropped data to make one narrow point ignoring wider issues and context. 

Someone even posted Adam someone (@essexPR? ) the other day, a TOWIE pub landlord, dispensing Covid wisdom whoever will listen. Community radio presenters with a degree in philosophy, mathematicians, GBNews....etc.people need to give their head a wobble and not take every word these grifters say without sourcing and verifying the facts. Some of them have been found out out and deleted accounts but the same stuff still pops upon here. Use cited and verifiable information such as ONS and Gov.uk otherwise you're basically doing the Covid tango on the fringe.

Some of these loon Twitter dumps underline why some people still need cooking instructions on tins of soup.

Fine deleted then. I still don't think vaccine passports will help but they will be coming in soon. Edit - Or not deleted - didn't realise there was a time limit on stuff

Wonder how far this'll go... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-59028147.amp

Edited by efcfanwirral

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

Vaccine passports and masks are making zero difference in Scotland and Wales and yet they continue to be a conversation point

Only because they're part of plan B which comes in at an unspecified time with unspecified numbers (they really need to say "if it hits x number). They seem determined to bring them in

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

They seem determined to bring them in

I mean, do they? I've not seen any genuine appetite from any of the high level ministers, and Sajid's last press conference was basically "I guess it's fine for now, just get jabbed please lads" and all the Tory messaging the past week is about encouraging vaccine takeup because they know that's the strongest (and least unpopular) way through the winter. The only people who seem determined to bring it in are a few loud science/data bods and the media. I just can't see it happening unless shit truly hits the fan.

3 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I mean, do they? I've not seen any genuine appetite from any of the high level ministers, and Sajid's last press conference was basically "I guess it's fine for now, just get jabbed please lads" and all the Tory messaging the past week is about encouraging vaccine takeup because they know that's the strongest (and least unpopular) way through the winter. The only people who seem determined to bring it in are a few loud science/data bods and the media. I just can't see it happening unless shit truly hits the fan.

and maybe a few people working in NHS, but fuck'em.

(I can't see it happening either, maybe just more calls for personal responsibilty from Javid the twat)

47 minutes ago, jannybruck said:

I think the rolling back on the idea when they saw some back bench opposition then putting it into Plan B shows they want it but want an easy life. Plan B will have to be activated soon so i don't see how they don't come in. 

I think they should stick a test on if they come in, for everyone, but people seem to see that as some sort of heresy

20 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

I think the rolling back on the idea when they saw some back bench opposition then putting it into Plan B shows they want it but want an easy life. Plan B will have to be activated soon so i don't see how they don't come in. 

I think they should stick a test on if they come in, for everyone, but people seem to see that as some sort of heresy

Did they ever set any threshold or criteria of when should move to plan b or visa versa? The whole thing is just abstract and it's getting everyone wound up.

In other news I went to cinema this afternoon and loads of people were wearing masks.

Edited by steviewevie