When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

Just now, zahidf said:

Fight for better funding for the NHS. and better sick pay so people will take time off if they test positive

I agree … that’s not happening though is it ? And even if the nhs does get more money things like staff training aren’t happening overnight … it’s will take 5 years minimum …. Totally with you on the sick pay thing not just for covid … today I was chatting to 2 people who were at work when not well 1 had done a covid test … the other said it was just a bad cold and he always went to work I’ll and didn’t want to let the team down … we don’t get paid our first 2 days sick … although we do currently get paid all our time off for covid sick . Needs change in peoples attitudes here … they should as a minimum wear a face cover 

23 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Are we going towards a new peak? its going up and down for the last few months. I'm still dubious we will get much higher cases than we have now to any great degree, especially as we have half term soon

There's variance but it's broadly in an upward direction. We've not yet seen the point where some sort of herd immunity kicks in and numbers start coming back down. But the reason for that is that numbers climbed much slower than we expected. But I do think we're still broadly trending up - there's been moments where it looks like we're over the hill and it's coming back down but they never last.

11 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I see social distancing is being categorised as 'simple low key' measure now by the Fake SAGE lot

I dunno, "social distancing" is a very broad thing and she's not really explaining what she means. I think there's a benefit to asking people to be more conscious of people's space again, where possible. You can't have 1m distancing at gigs and theatres and pubs and restaurants and have them be financially viable. But you can in shops and supermarkets. It's a much more nuanced approach that I've liked all along but seems too complicated for people to accept. It has to either be on or off. 

43 minutes ago, steviewevie said:

I guess thinking is if people had less symptoms then this would reduce spread because less coughing/sneezing etc. Infact this is probably the case, right?

Absolutely but the proportions of that seem to have been lost - i still get people I know seeming absolutely shocked that they've caught it after two jabs and that they feel actually ill. Just don't feel the messaging has been right at all, probably part of the "nudge" stuff but there's only so much confusion they can sow before trust is completely lost

Edited by efcfanwirral

Maybe it’s just me that doesn’t trust the Tory’s and their pandemic response ?!  How many times do we need to do this ?  These levels going into winter when previously we were going into restrictions seem at best a risk with no mitigation … ( which hopefully pays off ) and in 2 weeks Time someone comes back and says I told you they were going to drop and I’ll happily say yeah it looks like you were right … but then we are into nov and closer to winter so maybe they won’t be dropping .,, oh and vaccines are starting to wane in the elderly .. the kids haven’t been jabbed yet and they are struggling to get vaccinators to do the top ups 

1 minute ago, DeanoL said:

There's variance but it's broadly in an upward direction. We've not yet seen the point where some sort of herd immunity kicks in and numbers start coming back down. But the reason for that is that numbers climbed much slower than we expected. But I do think we're still broadly trending up - there's been moments where it looks like we're over the hill and it's coming back down but they never last.

I dunno, "social distancing" is a very broad thing and she's not really explaining what she means. I think there's a benefit to asking people to be more conscious of people's space again, where possible. You can't have 1m distancing at gigs and theatres and pubs and restaurants and have them be financially viable. But you can in shops and supermarkets. It's a much more nuanced approach that I've liked all along but seems too complicated for people to accept. It has to either be on or off. 

Lets see what happens in the next 2 weeks, but i suspect we will be in the 30/50 k cases a day area for Autumn/Winter. Thats well below the estimates and will result in much lower hospitalisations

DO you think she doesn't mean social distancing at gigs/restaurants? i feel thats very much what she means. Probbaly be posting pictures from sold out gigs soon!

20 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Fight for better funding for the NHS. and better sick pay so people will take time off if they test positive

Venues and promoters need to step up too. "Please take a test before and don't attend the event if you test positive." "And will you give me my money back if I do?" "Lol no of course not"

I don't know about anyone else but the truth is in my circle most of my friends aren't testing because they don't want to attend if they know they're positive but don't want to lose £50 either. 

Just now, DeanoL said:

Venues and promoters need to step up too. "Please take a test before and don't attend the event if you test positive." "And will you give me my money back if I do?" "Lol no of course not"

I don't know about anyone else but the truth is in my circle most of my friends aren't testing because they don't want to attend if they know they're positive but don't want to lose £50 either. 

TBF some promoters are offering a refund if you test positive. DICE are good like that

• Upvote 1

Just now, Barry Fish said:

Look at me... Mr perfect while pretending you aren't spreading it just like everyone else lmao

I haven’t got it or had it Barry ? What makes you think I have ? I’m diabetic so assymptomatic is going to be very unlikely for me … don’t be a twat 

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

Maybe it’s just me that doesn’t trust the Tory’s and their pandemic response ?!  How many times do we need to do this ?  These levels going into winter when previously we were going into restrictions seem at best a risk with no mitigation … ( which hopefully pays off ) and in 2 weeks Time someone comes back and says I told you they were going to drop and I’ll happily say yeah it looks like you were right … but then we are into nov and closer to winter so maybe they won’t be dropping .,, oh and vaccines are starting to wane in the elderly .. the kids haven’t been jabbed yet and they are struggling to get vaccinators to do the top ups 

When they dropped restrictions they said they would be ok with 100k cases a day. The govt feel that things are going better than what SAGE told them was going to happen on a best case scenario. Why would they change tack?

1 minute ago, zahidf said:

Lets see what happens in the next 2 weeks, but i suspect we will be in the 30/50 k cases a day area for Autumn/Winter. Thats well below the estimates and will result in much lower hospitalisations

DO you think she doesn't mean social distancing at gigs/restaurants? i feel thats very much what she means. Probbaly be posting pictures from sold out gigs soon!

I hope you're right and I'm still broadly positive.

She probably means restaurants and gigs too. It's just like, I'm going to gigs (albeit just seated ones) and am next to people. But I still get frustrated if someone comes and stands right next to me at a supermarket. I don't think that's hypocritical, gigs can't viably happen with distancing, so not distancing for them makes sense. But supermarkets can, there's space, there's no reason to crowd people. So why do so?

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

That's definitely possible and hope so. But I'd imagine if we spoke two weeks ago you'd have thought the same? It certainly feels like we should have hit the peak already, but we've not. And that's the potentially scary bit. 

Most of the people I follow on Twitter to do with this were saying a rise then a fall. Cases in kids can’t go much higher without dropping off. 

3 minutes ago, zahidf said:

TBF some promoters are offering a refund if you test positive. DICE are good like that

Yeah I am with my gig too (well transfer to a future night) but seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

When they dropped restrictions they said they would be ok with 100k cases a day. The govt feel that things are going better than what SAGE told them was going to happen on a best case scenario. Why would they change tack?

I guess they were okay with 100k in the summer but not winter? That's the big difference.

(I still think we'll be fine but couldn't say for sure right now)

Just now, Barry Fish said:

No flies on you is there.  You know there is an accuracy issue ? You may have infected millions      so selfish 

Really … I think those lateral flows pick it up quite well … and one of the 3 in the previous 3 days would have even if the other 2 were wrong … oh and I’ve been testing negative for the 5 days after the gig too … might as well scrap the lateral flows if none of them work ..

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

No flies on you is there.  You know there is an accuracy issue ? You may have infected millions      so selfish 

I don't think that's fair. I disagree with the way we've handled this too, I don't think everything should have been re-opened when it was and I don't think we should have just let it circulate around the population as we aim for herd immunity. But that's the approach we took, so yeah, I'm going to go to gigs and enjoy myself. They're not contradictory positions.

It's like saying to people arguing for higher rates of tax "well why don't you just voluntarily pay more tax then if you think that's right?"

4 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah I am with my gig too (well transfer to a future night) but seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I guess they were okay with 100k in the summer but not winter? That's the big difference.

(I still think we'll be fine but couldn't say for sure right now)

Well no 100k a day was the best case scenario for autumn! 

Oh and @Barry Fish as a type 1 I would also get some other preemptive signs of infection … not just covid any infection would likely show in increased blood sugars as my body fights covid so I also have that as a warning sign along with increased likelihood of being I’ll with it … although not impossible like you say that I had it completely asymptomatically . But hopefully the jab and facemasks have also helped transmission on the small chance I have had it 

I find it baffling that you’d say you don’t think gigs should be allowed but if they are allowed you’ll go to them. Seems very strange to me 

14 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

I don't think that's fair. I disagree with the way we've handled this too, I don't think everything should have been re-opened when it was and I don't think we should have just let it circulate around the population as we aim for herd immunity. But that's the approach we took, so yeah, I'm going to go to gigs and enjoy myself. They're not contradictory positions.

It's like saying to people arguing for higher rates of tax "well why don't you just voluntarily pay more tax then if you think that's right?"

4 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

Yeah but we look at Scotland and we can see it makes no difference.  But you go to your gig and blame Boris. Baffles me 

But I went to a gig without covid ? What are you not seeing ? I was not a vector in transmission ? That’s kind of what I’m trying to explain … I also live on my own so if I was to catch it I’m not passing it on 

1 minute ago, Barry Fish said:

That's what you want to believe but you can't be sure of that.  You just can't be lol.

Ok so you are right there might be a 0.000000000000000001% chance of me passing on covid that I don’t have … fair enough you are right 😂