When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

3 hours ago, Ryan1984 said:

I'm still a little concerned about winter but I just can’t see this government changing ANY advice again (or the vast majority of the public listening).

Yes anecdotally a friend of mine has covid, 52 and pretty fit so she's got it mildly. Admittedly she didn't think covid was a thing before and refused the jab but its taken a huge amount of effort to get her to self isolate and not run a 10k a few of us have done this weekend.

40 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Really great thread explaining what's happening and why without the dramatisation of events and some genuinely good and realistic suggestions of what to do next 

Interesting thread, thanks. Anyone know if the boosters are the same as what people had before? I.e. if you had AZ you get that again or will everyone get Pfizer/Moderna now?

3 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Interesting thread, thanks. Anyone know if the boosters are the same as what people had before? I.e. if you had AZ you get that again or will everyone get Pfizer/Moderna now?

Almost everyone is getting a full dose of Pfizer. A small number of people get a half dose of Moderna. The AZ is no longer being used in the UK. 

22 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I got my booster last week, original jabs were AZ a d Pfizer for booster. Trxt from doctor said all boosters would be Pfizer 

Prof Ferguson doing the round this morning. He's saying another reason for our higher cases is we've used more AstraZeneca than other countries and though it protects against serious illness it doesn't protect as well against infection and symptoms as Pfizer where Delta is concerned.

A few scientists also seem worried about a new Delta plus variant which makes up around 8% of cases and has been slowly rising since July. It maybe 10% more infectious.

As last years 2nd lockdown was November 5th I think we will be hitting the moment of truth for the autumn soon.

Edited by lost

54 minutes ago, lost said:

Prof Ferguson doing the round this morning. He's saying another reason for our higher cases is we've used more AstraZeneca than other countries and though it protects against serious illness it doesn't protect as well against infection and symptoms as Pfizer where Delta is concerned.

A few scientists also seem worried about a new Delta plus variant which makes up around 8% of cases and has been slowly rising since July. It maybe 10% more infectious.

As last years 2nd lockdown was November 5th I think we will be hitting the moment of truth for the autumn soon.

just need to keep jabbing...boosters and teenagers. jab jab jab.

On 10/18/2021 at 10:35 AM, Barry Fish said:

Is it a blind eye or is it just a grown up attitude to life and death ?

Its not "wrong" for people to die.  Its totally natural and normal.  We lost that a long the way...

It's a blind eye, isn't it? I don't think we could walk back people's attitudes towards things so quickly (you said yourself that in your opinion, people had lost all ability to assess risk) - I think the media aren't covering it as much, no press conferences and all that, so people are just going back to normal.

I think if Boris turned up on TV tomorrow and said there's a new variant that's creating a problem and we need to go straight back into lockdown blah blah blah there'd be no issues with compliance. 

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It's a blind eye, isn't it? I don't think we could walk back people's attitudes towards things so quickly (you said yourself that in your opinion, people had lost all ability to assess risk) - I think the media aren't covering it as much, no press conferences and all that, so people are just going back to normal.

I think if Boris turned up on TV tomorrow and said there's a new variant that's creating a problem and we need to go straight back into lockdown blah blah blah there'd be no issues with compliance. 

Well that's different to the current situation though: there isn't a new vaccine resistant variant. So why would be people agree to be restricted again without that?