When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

4 hours ago, JoeyT said:

On the whole seeing a doctor subject…

I was pooped on Tuesday - Shivers, headache, sore throat, nauseous etc. Slept for an hour when I got home from work and was in bed by 8.30.

Wednesday - worse throat pain I’ve ever had barely ate or drank. Bed by 9.30.

Yesterday - 2 spoons of weetabix for breakfast, finally took the wife’s advice to call the doctors.

Speak to Reception they say a Dr will call back. Get a text saying send a photo of throat. Then doctor calls an hour later saying I’ve got very bad tonsillitis and prescribes antibiotics.

30 mins later I’ve got a rash on my hands. I call doctors and tell reception who in turn say doctor will call me. This spreads to face, body and feet. No call from doctor all day.

8am this morning after another sleepless night I call back and speak to reception. Promised a call back this morning.

God knows what I’ve got but it’s shit and I know it’s not the doctors fault but I’ll be pissed off if I still don’t get a face to face appointment…

Sounds like hand, foot and mouth disease. 

54 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Think you’re right.

More photos sent to docs, further conversation over the phone and that’s what she came up with.

It’s grim isn’t it?
Had it a few weeks ago, seems to be spreading like wildfire at the moment. 

Another one of those virus’s we used to be regularly exposed to at low levels and had good immunity to until lockdowns. 
Doctor told me (over the phone of course 😉) that it used to be fairly rare for adults to be symptomatic and even rarer to get the rash/blisters but everybody seems to be getting it full whack this year. 

If I had to guess why the hospitalisations don't seem to be following cases at all now it's because we're looking at overall cases. They're rising in children, where the risk of hospitalisation is much lower than teenagers and older. That case/hospitalisation ratio difference more than makes up for the extra cases.

But it is a guess, I've not done the analysis, but it should be doable - we have the data.

53 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

If I had to guess why the hospitalisations don't seem to be following cases at all now it's because we're looking at overall cases. They're rising in children, where the risk of hospitalisation is much lower than teenagers and older. That case/hospitalisation ratio difference more than makes up for the extra cases.

But it is a guess, I've not done the analysis, but it should be doable - we have the data.

Oh a few people have made that point. The majority of cases now in kids aren't leaking I to the older ages cos of vaccinations.

SAGE most optimistic data said we would 2k hospitalisations a day after July 19th. Instead we've reached a peak of 1000 and its gone down massively now. 

2 minutes ago, zahidf said:

Oh a few people have made that point. The majority of cases now in kids aren't leaking I to the older ages cos of vaccinations.

SAGE most optimistic data said we would 2k hospitalisations a day after July 19th. Instead we've reached a peak of 1000 and its gone down massively now. 

Another strong surge has just started in Manchester in the last few days, after a fairly sustained (if slow) drop off. It wouldn't surprise me if hospitalisations go up again a bit in a few weeks. But I'd be surprised if it hit 2k, at least not in the next month.

3 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Another strong surge has just started in Manchester in the last few days, after a fairly sustained (if slow) drop off. It wouldn't surprise me if hospitalisations go up again a bit in a few weeks. But I'd be surprised if it hit 2k, at least not in the next month.

Well according to the guardian we are due to hit 7k next month....

I think it will fluctuate between 800-1200 for the next few months. But I don't think we will be looking at a collapsed NHS fingers crossed as it stands.

37 minutes ago, Chapple12345 said:

Not sure if it needs to be said, but vaccines are incredible 

They really are. I posted about it in another thread but my friends have both been double jabbed with Pfizer; one of them is currently undergoing chemo. When two of their kids got covid I thought they'd both get it too for sure and assumed it was a matter of how well the vaccines decreased the symptoms. As it is, neither have (and one of them is quarantining with the two kids). Really impressed with that. And relieved!

6 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

The problem with building up for another pandemic is like when we moan about the roads closing in the winter due to the 3 days of snow out of 365.  

Yeah we could invest in the equipment to stop it but it will sit ideal for most of the year and longer if it doesn't snow that year.

I don't think its actually possible to avoid the consequences of a pandemic.  Its pretty much excepted that covid is capable of flooring any health system around the world.  The only thing that stopped that was how quickly you shut down to avoid it.

We do need to build up the NHS but I wouldn't say the aim should be avoid another shutting down of large parts of the NHS.  Thats a bit of a unicorn of a goal.

I do think hiring more Doctors/front line staff and better equipment e.t.c will lead to better outcomes overall though. Having better PPI generally would help with Covid ( which is Still going to be around) and other respiratory style illnesses

1 hour ago, Barry Fish said:

Reading countless reports of schools deciding for themselves to bring back masks and bubbles etc.

Ffs why?

Trust the vaccines....  there is little justification to continue to muzzle our fucking kids.  And it's hugely disruptive in the classroom.  

Do you think the schools that are making these decisions might have a better handle on how disruptive they are in the classroom than you?

25 minutes ago, Barry Fish said:

No, my wife is a secondary school teacher so I get first hand reports from someone doing it.  Her school isn't going back to masks.  They caused too many issues and they have all had the vaccine.  They can't see the point.  And it was still carnage last year with them.

I reckon some of those schools probably include more teachers than just your wife but you do you. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Barry Fish said:

I am sure they do - doesn't make it right

The thing is I think you're probably right that the benefit of mask wearing when your sat in the same room as a group of people for a long time is of limited use, but I also think if it's the schools making the decisions they have a better handle on just how disruptive they are than you do.

I might advocate for masks in the corridors but not in the classes but then I'm less well informed than both the schools and yourself.