When will covid end ? Please be nice and respectful to others

Crazyfool01

45 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Not really - the NZ approach has always been sharp, harsh lockdowns when any cases are detected to ensure they don't spread. Those lockdowns only last a week or two. Delaying the vax programme for a couple of weeks is certainly a better option that risking Delta spreading through the population - as once it gets out, as we've shown with all our attempts at lockdown, there's no getting back to zero COVID.

Also worth noting that when NZ talk about level 4 lockdown, it means everything is shut except grocery stores and hospitals. No "you can still get takeout", no "you can go into the office if it's essential" - and it's worked in preventing cases from snowballing so far.

And New South Wales proves that the R0 of delta is so high that even a lockdown of that proportion isn’t stopping Delta (given the poor vaccine rollout and near universal lack of infection based immunity)

New Zealand are fucked. 

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

Not really - the NZ approach has always been sharp, harsh lockdowns when any cases are detected to ensure they don't spread. Those lockdowns only last a week or two. Delaying the vax programme for a couple of weeks is certainly a better option that risking Delta spreading through the population - as once it gets out, as we've shown with all our attempts at lockdown, there's no getting back to zero COVID.

Also worth noting that when NZ talk about level 4 lockdown, it means everything is shut except grocery stores and hospitals. No "you can still get takeout", no "you can go into the office if it's essential" - and it's worked in preventing cases from snowballing so far.

I think vaccination centres should be open if hospitals are open. getting vaxxed asap is essential

13 minutes ago, zahidf said:

I think vaccination centres should be open if hospitals are open. getting vaxxed asap is essential

You have to bear in mind though that because of the zero COVID policy, NZ vax centres are not set up with any sort of social distancing in mind. And hospitals are only open for emergencies.

If as Fuzzy Afro says Delta still takes route anyway they will certainly re-open things, but I don't think it's insane to try and stamp it right out again.

22 hours ago, zahidf said:

Singapore said that they are going to reopen soon regardless of the death rate. doesn't help vaccination have been available freely for months and theyve only got 10% of the vulnerable double jabbed. 

Not sure where you got 10% from?

image.png.7f0ab629ef5d703230ace10a3c007ee8.png

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

You have to bear in mind though that because of the zero COVID policy, NZ vax centres are not set up with any sort of social distancing in mind. And hospitals are only open for emergencies.

If as Fuzzy Afro says Delta still takes route anyway they will certainly re-open things, but I don't think it's insane to try and stamp it right out again.

I dunno its not that difficult to keep 6 feet away

And also, this is ridiculous 

1 hour ago, zahidf said:

I dunno its not that difficult to keep 6 feet away

It is when you consider, for example, that people need a 15 minute wait period. Our vaccination centres were designed with waiting areas with spacing for 4x number of vaccinators to all wait in a social distanced fashion. NZ ones were not, as social distancing wasn't necessary.

Then you factor in queuing to actually get in there. All our centres were designed with all this in mind - queues with distances marked out, staff wiping down seats after they were used, and so on. NZ centres weren't made that way as there was no need. 

32 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

It is when you consider, for example, that people need a 15 minute wait period. Our vaccination centres were designed with waiting areas with spacing for 4x number of vaccinators to all wait in a social distanced fashion. NZ ones were not, as social distancing wasn't necessary.

Then you factor in queuing to actually get in there. All our centres were designed with all this in mind - queues with distances marked out, staff wiping down seats after they were used, and so on. NZ centres weren't made that way as there was no need. 

Well... there was a need clearly! Should have had had it as a contingency in case they had to social distance when vaccinating. I think pausing the nationwide jabs is a BIG mistake

4 hours ago, DeanoL said:

But it’s not going to get stamped out in the rest of the world so what’s their long term strategy? Stay isolated from the world forever? 

Vaccination update. % of population vaccinated now showing for all people aged from 16 years old which has been updated on the GOV dashboard from today. The figure for population aged 16 and above is 54,353,665 and is from the ONS mid-2020 estimate.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 16.36.45.png

On 8/18/2021 at 4:28 PM, zahidf said:

Well... there was a need clearly! Should have had had it as a contingency in case they had to social distance when vaccinating. I think pausing the nationwide jabs is a BIG mistake

There's a cost to that though - it would have made the vaccination process slower if they could only use locations that could be adapted for social distancing.

I would imagine if 6 months ago a COVID-free NZ had said "we're vaccinating as quickly as we can but we're limited in spaces we can use because we're only fitting out spaces that can be adapted for social distancing, in case there is a COVID outbreak" we'd rightly have called them crazy for doing that too. They have now adapted where they can and restarted vaccinating, but at a much slower rate. If I'm generous they had a contingency plan and took a couple of days to implement it, if I'm not they didn't and took a couple of days to make one up and implement it!

On 8/18/2021 at 4:51 PM, BobWillis2 said:

But it’s not going to get stamped out in the rest of the world so what’s their long term strategy? Stay isolated from the world forever? 

I think once they have everyone vaxxed they won't actually care when it comes down to it. The noises they're making about long term strategy make zero sense I agree.