Camper Calling 2021

LowerMead

Any eFestivals folks going?

We booked for 2020 and rolled over tickets, has an appeal as we're late 40's with a 6yo kid so the 'family friendly' bit helps, having said that our lad went to Reading as a 6 month old baby so he's fully used to the festival drill by now! 

I've been shielding during the pandemic (long-term immuno-suppressant medication) but was double-jabbed ages ago and am just trying to get on with life. Bit nervous about getting out amongst too many people, but from what I've seen from previous years it is not a massively 'busy' festival, so there should be plenty of space around. 

We normally do 4-5 festivals every year, so having done none last year and only one this year I am absolutely chomping at the bit to get out there.  

Hopefully the bill will remain as advertised, but it was quite dispiriting to follwo the Latitude socials this weekend, loads of artists had to pull out, I'm guessing because of the 'pingdemic'. Rules will change after 16th August so I hope it will be as expected.

Edited by LowerMead

On 7/26/2021 at 1:14 PM, LowerMead said:

Any eFestivals folks going?

We booked for 2020 and rolled over tickets, has an appeal as we're late 40's with a 6yo kid so the 'family friendly' bit helps, having said that our lad went to Reading as a 6 month old baby so he's fully used to the festival drill by now! 

I've been shielding during the pandemic (long-term immuno-suppressant medication) but was double-jabbed ages ago and am just trying to get on with life. Bit nervous about getting out amongst too many people, but from what I've seen from previous years it is not a massively 'busy' festival, so there should be plenty of space around. 

We normally do 4-5 festivals every year, so having done none last year and only one this year I am absolutely chomping at the bit to get out there.  

Hopefully the bill will remain as advertised, but it was quite dispiriting to follwo the Latitude socials this weekend, loads of artists had to pull out, I'm guessing because of the 'pingdemic'. Rules will change after 16th August so I hope it will be as expected.

Yeah we are looking forward to this.

Think you are right about the bands, hopefully they won't be impacted too much but some drop outs are almost inevitable. 

Never been to Camper Calling but went to Bigfoot Festival in June which is on the same venue and its lovely site

Decent line up for the money and camping next to your car is an absolute bonus (being late 40's and having Beautiful Days the weekend before so not having to hike a mile with all the stuff is gonna be a godsend!)

Fingers crossed a) it happens b) the weather is good and c) the ale is real

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

4th time at camper calling, it’s a brilliant little festival. So well organised, from being able to camp where you like to being able to take your own alcohol into the main arena it’s a top weekend. With my Glasto and download tickets rolling over till next year I can’t wait for a weekend away with family and friends.

59 minutes ago, Robbo58 said:

4th time at camper calling, it’s a brilliant little festival. So well organised, from being able to camp where you like to being able to take your own alcohol into the main arena it’s a top weekend. With my Glasto and download tickets rolling over till next year I can’t wait for a weekend away with family and friends.

Brill. Our first time, wasn't sure about the booze in the arena thing so thats helpful mate thanks. That said, can't beat a nice cold ale poured on the day. 

Was kinda hoping it would be shit as don't want another 'must go to' festival but good line up, camp next to your car, own booze in the arena, and cheap...could be added to the Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days 'must book' list. 

11 hours ago, Flaminglippy said:

Brill. Our first time, wasn't sure about the booze in the arena thing so thats helpful mate thanks. That said, can't beat a nice cold ale poured on the day. 

Was kinda hoping it would be shit as don't want another 'must go to' festival but good line up, camp next to your car, own booze in the arena, and cheap...could be added to the Bearded Theory and Beautiful Days 'must book' list. 

This is pretty much my thoughts as well - first time CC for us and it all just looks too good to be true. I did not think you could take in your own drink though so really happy to learn that one.

Yeah young kids get a wristband with space for a phone number on in case they get lost. The whole site is really relaxed so no problems taking your own food and drink down to watch the bands  just no glass bottles. You’ll love it, we went 5 years ago because a band were playing we liked and have been back every year since with more people going every year who all love it 

• Upvote 1

Hello <waves excitedly>

This is our 4th Camper Calling, tickets/passes/window stickers just arrived, can't wait to start the long journey (7.5 miles😅) to Ragley Hall😁

Currently in Covid isolation/quarantine hell☹ managed to pick up this nasty virus at work even though double jabbed & the most careful person I know!  Isolation ends Weds so with everything crossed should be feeling tiptop by the following Thurs - loss of hearing/ear infection had best buggar off by then otherwise I'll be the one shouting "turn it up!"

Such a chilled little festival, food usually really good & the added bonus of no arena so wandering about with your own drinks makes for an even more chilled affair.

See you by the lake Callers 😉

2 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Hello <waves excitedly>

This is our 4th Camper Calling, tickets/passes/window stickers just arrived, can't wait to start the long journey (7.5 miles😅) to Ragley Hall😁

Currently in Covid isolation/quarantine hell☹ managed to pick up this nasty virus at work even though double jabbed & the most careful person I know!  Isolation ends Weds so with everything crossed should be feeling tiptop by the following Thurs - loss of hearing/ear infection had best buggar off by then otherwise I'll be the one shouting "turn it up!"

Such a chilled little festival, food usually really good & the added bonus of no arena so wandering about with your own drinks makes for an even more chilled affair.

See you by the lake Callers 😉

Yeah...totally up for this one. Did my timetable yesterday (to be fair with only 3 stages and one of them I have no interest in I don't really need it). Lovely site as well, was there for Bigfoot in June. Happy days! 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, shellythered said:

Hi. First time at CC. Is it much of a walk from the camping site to the arena? Is the site quite hilly? Thanks

Hiya, lifted this photo off CC FB page & doodled to try & help...

We camped around the red dot in '19 (As You Like it camping) the orange circled bit is where the fun is at, the grey square inside that is the main stage - takes around 10/15 min amble to get from right at the back where we camped to right at the front of the stage... whole site is lovely & small.

Purple dot is Ragley Hall (real flushing loos & hot & cold water😉)

Blue dot is also As You Like It camping and is on a bit of a slightly steeper incline/slight hill.

Around the lake is the lowest point of the site and everything around it is on small-ish incline/hills 

Screenshot_20210818-140124.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi all! We have tickets for campers calling this weekend, really excited! It’s our first time! One thing I was wondering is when to arrive. It says it opens at 10am and if you arrive early you could be moved on. With some previous hellish experiences getting into festivals being glasto and boom town, as this is the first small festival we’ve been to could anybody tell me when they have arrived in the past? Whether it was much earlier than 10am and queued in traffic or maybe they opened the gates a bit early? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

Edited by Chrisssss

Cheeky little video on Camper Calling Instagram stories For a sneak peak at the site; 

https://instagram.com/campercalling?utm_medium=copy_link

30 minutes ago, Chrisssss said:

Hi all! We have tickets for campers calling this weekend, really excited! It’s our first time! One thing I was wondering is when to arrive. It says it opens at 10am and if you arrive early you could be moved on. With some previous hellish experiences getting into festivals being glasto and boom town, as this is the first small festival we’ve been to could anybody tell me when they have arrived in the past? Whether it was much earlier than 10am and queued in traffic or maybe they opened the gates a bit early? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! 

I live within a 10 mile radius of the site & the grid lock the first couple of years was a nightmare, they then sorted a traffic management that only gridlocked the surrounding country lanes😅 2018 it took us about 3 hours to get in!  this too has been rectified - the last one '19 was smooth sailing as they now have multiple entry gates depending on your camping area.

Follow the colour coded signs/route/gate that are the same as your window sticker - As You Like It is green (I think!)

Also Thurs entry was new for '19 which we bought, and again this year, we left the house at 11.40am, gates opened at 12 noon, we drove to site, saw 1 or 2 other campervans on the way over, straight in, no queue & set up by 12.10 😉 - staggering entrance over 2 days also massively cut out a lot of the queues.

Things might be a bit more slow moving this year due to the Covid pass checks but I would say not to arrive much earlier than gates opening time (noon tomorrow, 10am Fri) because they probably won't open any earlier and it will cause tailback.

There's a couple of services on the A46, a larger one at Evesham, if you're coming from the south, (15/20mins from site) and a smaller one at Alcester (5mins from site) you could always head to one of these and check out Google maps, if the route's all in red then you're in for a wait, but hopefully you'll be in smoothly 😊

Also I'd turn off sat nav nearer to the site as it may very well send you down singal track lanes that won't take you where you need to be - follow the signs, they're already out, and if all else fails follow the the VWs😉

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Screenshot_20210825-213754.thumb.png.b6ca03be1357d9c4bf9fa4ae525337c9.png

21 hours ago, DirtyLurker said:

Cheeky little video on Camper Calling Instagram stories For a sneak peak at the site; 

https://instagram.com/campercalling?utm_medium=copy_link

I live within a 10 mile radius of the site & the grid lock the first couple of years was a nightmare, they then sorted a traffic management that only gridlocked the surrounding country lanes😅 2018 it took us about 3 hours to get in!  this too has been rectified - the last one '19 was smooth sailing as they now have multiple entry gates depending on your camping area.

Follow the colour coded signs/route/gate that are the same as your window sticker - As You Like It is green (I think!)

Also Thurs entry was new for '19 which we bought, and again this year, we left the house at 11.40am, gates opened at 12 noon, we drove to site, saw 1 or 2 other campervans on the way over, straight in, no queue & set up by 12.10 😉 - staggering entrance over 2 days also massively cut out a lot of the queues.

Things might be a bit more slow moving this year due to the Covid pass checks but I would say not to arrive much earlier than gates opening time (noon tomorrow, 10am Fri) because they probably won't open any earlier and it will cause tailback.

There's a couple of services on the A46, a larger one at Evesham, if you're coming from the south, (15/20mins from site) and a smaller one at Alcester (5mins from site) you could always head to one of these and check out Google maps, if the route's all in red then you're in for a wait, but hopefully you'll be in smoothly 😊

Also I'd turn off sat nav nearer to the site as it may very well send you down singal track lanes that won't take you where you need to be - follow the signs, they're already out, and if all else fails follow the the VWs😉

What a gem of an answer! Thanks so much for your reply it’s extremely helpful!  It’s eases our worries so I’ll have a better nights sleep 😴 cannot wait to get there 🎉 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Chrisssss said:

What a gem of an answer! Thanks so much for your reply it’s extremely helpful!  It’s eases our worries so I’ll have a better nights sleep 😴 cannot wait to get there 🎉 

Safe travels to site - it's filling up but there are 3 more fields in As You Like It compared with 2019 - loads of space 😁

The secret opening act (11.30 Lake Stage)  hasn't been announced but if you watch the Camper Calling Saturday update on FB or Insta you'll easily guess who it is🎉

Thanks for the feedback all, we went, we saw. we had a great time!  Dodgy on Thursday night for early-birders were excellent, also really enjoyed Supergrass, Embrace, Republica and Jesus Jones.   I was a bit disappointed that the Manics finished when they had 15 mins still to play, I've seen them loads and just thought that they weren't really feeling the love for the place on Sunday night. 

My wife was a bit miffed at the sheer amount of chairw*nkers (her words!) hogging space by just setting their chairs up in a circle and holding a load of turf all day long, often absent, making it difficult for others to find a spot. We got the impression that most people arrive, pick a spot for the day, resolutely do not move from it.  We enjoyed alternating between the two stages and saw lots, enjoyed some great food (had to time it right to avoid queues) and really liked the very reasonably priced (for a festival) Purity Bar.  A relaxed approach to BYO booze was brilliant.   I loved it, 6yo son loved it, wife not so convinced, but I hope we will be back. Only problem we have is that it clashes with Reading, which is a mile from home - line-ups will ultimately decide it.

Only slight complaint from me was a complete lack of any mobile/4G or wifi signal on site for the entire weekend, I expect the networks were swamped. I personally wouldn't mind a few extra quid on the ticket price if they bought in some booster masts - no idea how much these things cost but the bigger festivals manage it.