First Gig Back

maelzoid

First gig back yesterday at the "Rewired" festival at the Brudenell Social Club. 13 bands playing over the two rooms.  Playing approx 25 mins each, so once the band had finished everyone moved to the other room where the next band started pretty much immediately after. Great day which got pretty lively for the later bands in the evening.

Edited by idb

On 8/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, gigpusher said:

@PadjeqSleeper and The Bluetones last night was really good. We had Sleeper first and The Bluetones as headliners which was my preference as I know The Bluetones much more but I understand they have been swapping that about as they are co-headliners. Both really good. I think Mark Morriss is better at interacting with the crowd but I guess being friends with lots of comedians helps you develop a witty repartee. Very enjoyable and actually met up with some friends at the gig last night and it felt so normal that it was great. One thing to be aware of you did have to show evidence of being double jabbed or a negative test and it did make the queue to get in a bit longer than normal. We were advised to get the app up and take a screenshot on your phone to make it a bit quicker. I suspect by September this will be a normal part of getting into gigs so worth being aware of it and being prepared. 

Next up for me is Showhawk Duo which will give me major Glastonbury vibes. 

Thanks for the trip report! Looking forward to it, although having seen the debacle that a ticketless Kasabian gig caused at the brum academy, I'm not looking forward to how they handle the covid checks.

On 8/14/2021 at 11:52 AM, gigpusher said:

@PadjeqSleeper and The Bluetones last night was really good. We had Sleeper first and The Bluetones as headliners which was my preference as I know The Bluetones much more but I understand they have been swapping that about as they are co-headliners. Both really good. I think Mark Morriss is better at interacting with the crowd but I guess being friends with lots of comedians helps you develop a witty repartee. Very enjoyable and actually met up with some friends at the gig last night and it felt so normal that it was great. One thing to be aware of you did have to show evidence of being double jabbed or a negative test and it did make the queue to get in a bit longer than normal. We were advised to get the app up and take a screenshot on your phone to make it a bit quicker. I suspect by September this will be a normal part of getting into gigs so worth being aware of it and being prepared. 

Next up for me is Showhawk Duo which will give me major Glastonbury vibes. 

Im off to see them next weekend...  very much looking forward to it..

What time did they start.? (Need to know what time i need to be out of the pub)

On 8/20/2021 at 10:34 PM, BlueDaze said:

Im off to see them next weekend...  very much looking forward to it..

What time did they start.? (Need to know what time i need to be out of the pub)

Sleeper were on at 19:30 and The Bluetones were 21:30. If you look at their twitter during the day they usually advise. 

• Upvote 1

It wasn't my first gig back so can't say too much, but if you have the chance to see one Supergrass's several hundred gigs this summer, I would highly recommend it. The Cribs were good too. Not first gig but first moshpit for Mirror Kissers. Be Safe was quite the moment too.

This Saturday I'm off to my first non socially distanced gig, Hard Rock Hell Sleaze, a 2 dayer in Sheffield. 

All the 'big' overseas names have dropped out due to Covid and have been replaced by UK acts no-one has heard of.

Luckily we only paid £12.50 a ticket, otherwise I wouldn't be happy.

I know this means very little to almost everyone here (other than an opportunity to take the piss) but it's gone from this...

Screenshot_20210816-115439_Twitter.thumb.jpg.690be533f544370573ddff11e0252d4f.jpg

To this...

Screenshot_20210816-115527_Twitter.thumb.jpg.d36613c860724e9e0ebff5c9b6082072.jpg

Fucking Tigertailz 😬😁

Not a Blotzer in sight.

I have though discovered The Spangles who I'm very much looking forward to seeing.

14 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Distraught at the absence of Jizzy Pearl 😔 

You'll be pleased to know that LA Guns have a Ratt like scenario whereby there are 2 versions of the band, one of which is led by a drummer who wasn't even part of the original band.

At least people have heard of Blotzer 

I say people....

20 hours ago, Homer said:

It wasn't my first gig back so can't say too much, but if you have the chance to see one Supergrass's several hundred gigs this summer, I would highly recommend it. The Cribs were good too. Not first gig but first moshpit for Mirror Kissers. Be Safe was quite the moment too.

I was there too! Cribs were solid, though I expected a touch more feistiness.

Supergrass were excellent. Gaz clearly relishing the moment, audience up for it too. If memory serves, the final batch of songs went: Late In The Day > Richard III > Grace > Alright > Sun Hits The Sky > Lenny > Pumping On Your Stereo > Caught By The Fuzz > Strange Ones

A proper scorching run, that.

56 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

My first gig back is meant to be Declan McKenna next Friday, but Nicola Sturgeon has just said they are going to review reintroducing Covid restrictions next week, so seems like it's in doubt no. Going to be so frustrated if she shuts down gigs just before my first gig back.

Any bloody excuse by the SNP 

Sam Fender was my first back in Brum Academy on Wednesday after its 3rd/4th reschedule due to his health and covid. Well worth the wait though, he absolutely smashed it!

Blossoms and The Lathums next week to keep the gigs rolling! 

Sleeper and Bluetones at Kentish Town forum last night... An excellent intro back..

Both bands looked tremendously happy to be in front of live audiences again and it was a proper good singalong. We are long term Bluetones fans, so happy that it was their night to headline.. Although i did point out to my joyously singing and dancing daughter that she was 5 when they released 'Expecting To Fly', the debut album that they are playing back to fron as a 25th anniversary on this tour.... 

We did take the opportunity of getting an early afternoon train into London and watched the footie with a bite to eat and far too many beers in a pub over the road beforehand... so probably starting on the sauce well too early for me..

I did wish this morning that i would have paid more attention to the 'Hangover' thread this week... 🥴 

For those of you still looking forward to those 'First Gigs back'...  Enjoy, it feels like a real move towards normality.

• Like 1

First one back yesterday for me was RTRN II DANCE in Clapham Common - god it was shite. Really understaffed everywhere resulted in huge queues for entry and huge waits at the bars, really fucking dreadful. Plus the sound was patchy on all the stages, somehow there were areas in the crowd where you couldnt hear much but they were apparently getting noise complaints from as far away as Wimbledon...

Didnt even get bags checked on entry, let alone a check for the covid passes. Absolute joke...

Was nice to be back in a crowd though, got a decent spot for Andy C who is always ace anyway. Just a shame about everything else. Oh well, got Jungle next week and then got Declan McKenna and Low Island a couple weeks after that. Happy to be back!

19 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

Sleeper and Bluetones at Kentish Town forum last night... An excellent intro back..

Both bands looked tremendously happy to be in front of live audiences again and it was a proper good singalong. We are long term Bluetones fans, so happy that it was their night to headline.. Although i did point out to my joyously singing and dancing daughter that she was 5 when they released 'Expecting To Fly', the debut album that they are playing back to fron as a 25th anniversary on this tour.... 

We did take the opportunity of getting an early afternoon train into London and watched the footie with a bite to eat and far too many beers in a pub over the road beforehand... so probably starting on the sauce well too early for me..

I did wish this morning that i would have paid more attention to the 'Hangover' thread this week... 🥴 

For those of you still looking forward to those 'First Gigs back'...  Enjoy, it feels like a real move towards normality.

Glad you enjoyed. We were glad that we had The Bluetones as headliner as well because Mark Morriss is a really good frontman. Very funny guy. I've seen him play huge venues with The Bluetones and tiny venues on his own and he's always entertaining.