First Gig Back

maelzoid

Another one for Frank Turner in Brighton last week.  Pretty much same as @Hotchilidog, LFT beforehand and double jabbed.  Wore a mask at the bar, and intermittently in the venue itself depending on how much I was singing / sweating at any given time. Saw quite a few in masks, quite a few without.

Being in a crowd actually felt fine. Having had the lurgee and being jabbed my biggest worry was getting hit by contact tracing rather than actually catching it again myself!  Did another test on Saturday and still all clear 🙂

The release of being back in a moshpit was just incredible. And one of my absolute favourite things about gigs, chatting nonsense with a complete stranger between sets, and then bouncing into him and getting a massive hug during the set itself.  It's those random little connections with people that I absolutely love.

Support acts were both new to me, Guise (aka Mrs Frank Turner) and Pet Needs. Very different, but really enjoyed both of them. 

First time I've seen FT and he was on fire. Opened with my favourite track of his and it only got better. You could see how much he loved being there, and the audience felt the same. 

E622virWEAAw090.thumb.jpg.963ff70c771acd6669e7f4a96885a446.jpg

E622v17WEAQ9ZAw.thumb.jpg.9d9d68885e81dd6b89963327ab195760.jpg

E622wJZWEAAKx-K.thumb.jpg.c0d0e49251054dbaa479ec50a00cfcad.jpg

Next gig is Youth Sector in Brighton on Thursday, and then Mark Chadwick playing Horsham on the 7th. Mate's bought us tickets to go and see Daft Punk Orchestra in London on the 8th, and it's Beautiful Days on the 20th. Then September onwards is looking a bit...well, silly quite frankly! From Sep to Dec I've got IDLES, Dreadzone, Virginia Wing, MarthaGunn,The Skints, Red Rum Club, Slow Readers Club, Laura Marlin, Alanis Morrisette, Neon Waltz, October Drift, Snapped Ankles, Levellers and Dub Pistols!  Then next year is rearranged Dua Lipa, Rolling Blackouts and The Beths.

I may have gone a bit giddy about booking gigs... 😄

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

My first one back was Frank Turner, supported by Beans On Toast at Clapham last week, and then did Latitude this weekend.  Both felt incredible.  Clapham was a but more surreal, Latitude seemed strangely normal.

I've got Inhaler at Colours and Royal Blood in Hastings next month, and then about 30 booked between now and September next year, including The Specials, The Lottery Winners, Mysterines, Baby Queen, Slow Readers Club, Larry Pink The Human, Desperate Journalist and a trip to Sweden to see The Wannadies.

@Quark, know what you mean about giddy gig booking.  My wife has said she doesn't want to come to all of our October ones because there are too many!!

Edited by Greenelk

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Another one for Frank Turner in Brighton last week.  Pretty much same as @Hotchilidog, LFT beforehand and double jabbed.  Wore a mask at the bar, and intermittently in the venue itself depending on how much I was singing / sweating at any given time. Saw quite a few in masks, quite a few without.

Being in a crowd actually felt fine. Having had the lurgee and being jabbed my biggest worry was getting hit by contact tracing rather than actually catching it again myself!  Did another test on Saturday and still all clear 🙂

The release of being back in a moshpit was just incredible. And one of my absolute favourite things about gigs, chatting nonsense with a complete stranger between sets, and then bouncing into him and getting a massive hug during the set itself.  It's those random little connections with people that I absolutely love.

Support acts were both new to me, Guise (aka Mrs Frank Turner) and Pet Needs. Very different, but really enjoyed both of them. 

First time I've seen FT and he was on fire. Opened with my favourite track of his and it only got better. You could see how much he loved being there, and the audience felt the same. 

E622virWEAAw090.thumb.jpg.963ff70c771acd6669e7f4a96885a446.jpg

E622v17WEAQ9ZAw.thumb.jpg.9d9d68885e81dd6b89963327ab195760.jpg

E622wJZWEAAKx-K.thumb.jpg.c0d0e49251054dbaa479ec50a00cfcad.jpg

Next gig is Youth Sector in Brighton on Thursday, and then Mark Chadwick playing Horsham on the 7th. Mate's bought us tickets to go and see Daft Punk Orchestra in London on the 8th, and it's Beautiful Days on the 20th. Then September onwards is looking a bit...well, silly quite frankly! From Sep to Dec I've got IDLES, Dreadzone, Virginia Wing, MarthaGunn,The Skints, Red Rum Club, Slow Readers Club, Laura Marlin, Alanis Morrisette, Neon Waltz, October Drift, Snapped Ankles, Levellers and Dub Pistols!  Then next year is rearranged Dua Lipa, Rolling Blackouts and The Beths.

I may have gone a bit giddy about booking gigs... 😄

Nice to hear you enjoyed the support acts, have both of them and Beans on Toast supporting at Margate on Friday.  Can’t wait!!

Did Latitude this weekend-it felt incredibly normal - very few masks - I stayed mostly outside with just a few in BBC sounds tent. Forgot how tiring festivals are!! My feet and back hurt a lot! 
First one seen Friday were Lynx who were great, then in order - Maisie Peters, Beabadoobee, The Staves, Wolf Alice (great!); Saturday- Supergrass, Sports Team, Kawala, Villagers, Rudimental,  and The Chems. Sunday- Self Esteem, The Vaccines, Rick Astley , Bombay Bicycle Club and Bastille. My niece also saw Vlure, Walt Disco, Squid, Shame, Hot Chip and Working Mans Club - so all in all a great selection- exhausting but good weather too! Food and beer expensive but given the past year we didn’t begrudge the traders an extra quid or 2. 
Next up is Victorious at end of August. 
Double jabbed and my LFT just came up negative too but will work at home this week just in case. 

After Fontaines got cancelled last week, my first ‘gig’ back is this coming Saturday at Rock City; a tribute festival featuring System Of A Down, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Rage Against The Machine and Disturbed. 

For a tenner, it should be a lot of fun. 

5 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Nooooo!! Also I am now looking up gigs because of your earlier post 😄 

Stupid moshpit! 😄

I've got 5 days left so most of it's while I'm working, so it's not a massive ballache but it does mean I've got to miss a gig on Thursday night 😞

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

For this weekends gig there’s no mention of any testing or need to show vaccine status. Do I just assume it’s safe to rock up as normal?

Most venues have a page that tells you their COVID policy but yes we weren't checked on anything. I suspect that might change from September. For your own peace of mind you want to do a test but I don't think they are checking them. 

14 minutes ago, Quark said:

Stupid moshpit! 😄

I've got 5 days left so most of it's while I'm working, so it's not a massive ballache but it does mean I've got to miss a gig on Thursday night 😞

The worst thing is that you could have been nowhere near the person who tested positive.

28 minutes ago, Andre91 said:

After Fontaines got cancelled last week, my first ‘gig’ back is this coming Saturday at Rock City; a tribute festival featuring System Of A Down, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, Rage Against The Machine and Disturbed. 

For a tenner, it should be a lot of fun. 

That sounds incredible and hilarious in equal measures.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Quark said:

Stupid moshpit! 😄

The thing is, you are not legally obliged to self-isolate if you are pinged, only if you've tested positive. If it's just a ping, it is only "guidance" to self isolate.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/health/coronavirus-rules-you-need-to-follow/check-if-you-have-to-self-isolate-because-of-coronavirus/

I'm going to a gig just before I go on holiday, and obviously that can have ramifications if I get pinged, but I'm certainly not going to cancel my holiday if I test negative (and I will be doing a test anyway to go on holiday).

Obviously it's your choice...

First gig in 503 days was Ian Prowse (formerly of Pele) acoustic at the Philharmonic in Liverpool last Friday. This, and the full band gig the next night, were moved into the main room by the venue for safety. Slightly distanced with an empty seat between each "group". Both nights were brilliant, walking back into a venue again on Friday was such a great feeling. 

Was amazed at how little mask wearing there was on trains which were full and standing. It was like the before times!